PDA

View Full Version : Class (Cornelius) in Lybster area 1815-1900s

CorneliusC
27-Mar-05, 23:36
Hi there. I have traced my family tree back from myself to a Dutchman called Claus Cornelius, who married Janet Sutherland in Lybster in 1815. Over the next few years, he swapped his fore and surnames and the Claus was anglicised, so he became Cornelius Class.

He and Janet had at least five children, beginning with Cornelius in 1816, then Esther, Catherine, Janet and Sutherland Gow. I would like to fill in some of the gaps about Cornelius' (my ancestor) brothers and sisters. In particular, lots of the family have names like Sinclair, Henderson and Cuthbert as middle names, as well as Sutherland, and I believe there are some links to the Gunns as well.

The families were mostly involved in the fishing industry, and were based in Lybster, Latheron and Clyth. If any overlap with those other people are researching, I would love to share my information.

Best regards,

Selena Class

fred
28-Mar-05, 12:04
Hi there. I have traced my family tree back from myself to a Dutchman called Claus Cornelius, who married Janet Sutherland in Lybster in 1815. Over the next few years, he swapped his fore and surnames and the Claus was anglicised, so he became Cornelius Class.

In the 1841 census it was spelt Cornelaas Claas.

Tricia
29-Mar-05, 22:32
1861 In Latheron District at Hillhead.
CLASS Christina Head W F 44 O CAI Clyth
CLASS Cornelious Son U M 20 Fisherman CAI Lybster
CLASS Peter Son U M 18 Cooper CAI Lybster
CLASS Janet Daur U F 16 O CAI Lybster
CLASS Margret Daur O F 14 Scholar CAI Lybster
also
in village of Lybster
CLASS Janet Head W F 68 O CAI Latheron
GOW Sutherland Son M M 28 Fisherman CAI Lybster
CLASS Margaret Daulaw M F 25 O CAI Clyth
CLASS Esther Daur U F 42 Net Weaver CAI Lybster

fred
30-Mar-05, 22:17
1861 In Latheron District at Hillhead.
CLASS Christina Head W F 44 O CAI Clyth
CLASS Cornelious Son U M 20 Fisherman CAI Lybster
CLASS Peter Son U M 18 Cooper CAI Lybster
CLASS Janet Daur U F 16 O CAI Lybster
CLASS Margret Daur O F 14 Scholar CAI Lybster
also
in village of Lybster
CLASS Janet Head W F 68 O CAI Latheron
GOW Sutherland Son M M 28 Fisherman CAI Lybster
CLASS Margaret Daulaw M F 25 O CAI Clyth
CLASS Esther Daur U F 42 Net Weaver CAI Lybster

That's interesting, Sutherland has dropped his last name but I think it was probably a misunderstanding on the part of the census taker as he used it when he got married to
Margaret Sinclair 25th Jan 1861. It threw me for a while because there were two other
Sutherland Gows around at the time part of a well off family of merchants in Lybster
and I thought they might be connected, especially as they were the sons of the Estate
Factor for Lybster who would have lived in the Hillhead area. If you have the 1861
census check and see if a Donald Gow merchant about 73 years old lives anywhere
neat to Christina, just out of curiosity.

In 1841 Janet and Cornelious lived two houses apart in Lybster with Sutherlands in between.

District: 17 Folio: 0 Page: 15
Address:

CLAAS Cornelaas M 20 Fisher Caithness
CLAAS Christina F 20 Caithness
CLAAS Cornelaas M 4m Caithness
CLARK Catherine F 12 Female Servant Caithness

Address:

SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND William M 35 Cooper Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Janet F 30 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Betty F 10 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Margaret F 8 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Alexanderina F 7 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Hellen F 5 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND James M 3 Caithness
SUTHD. / SUTHERLAND Robert M 1 Caithness

Address:

CLAAS Janet F 52 Farmer Caithness
CLAAS Esther F 20 Caithness
CLAAS Catherine F 15 Caithness
CLAAS Janet F 15 Caithness
CLAAS Sutherland M 13 Caithness

robbain
10-Aug-05, 09:08
Selena,
I have a Peter Class, son of Cornelius, marrying a Christina Sutherland married 1871, my line is through Christina - looking for any descendants of this line :lol:

trinkie
07-Sep-05, 18:56
Cornelius Class was lost at sea near Whaligoe in 1847
leaving a widow and four children

He was the son of Cornelius Class from Holland who settled in Lybster.

from Donald Young's 'Book of Lybster'

SD

fred
07-Sep-05, 23:15
Selena,
I have a Peter Class, son of Cornelius, marrying a Christina Sutherland married 1871, my line is through Christina - looking for any descendants of this line :lol:

Cornelius's grave can be seen on http://www.graven-images.org.uk/index.htm in the Latheron New section. Peters sister Margaret married Donald Gunn and her grave is in the Latheron Old section. Peters brother Cornelius is in the Clyth section.

Peter was a fish merchant and moved to Lincoln in England but I don't know of any descendants.

I've put what I've got on the family at http://www.graven-images.org.uk/temp/ft.htm

Peterd500
17-Dec-07, 12:06
In tracing my SINCLAIR I've come across a CLASS branch of the tree.

James SINCLAIR the chamberlain and his first wife Anna ROBERTSON had a son Alexander SINCLAIR (= Elizabeth SUTHERLAND aka Betty MCRYRIE) who had a son George SINCLAIR (=Francisina SINCLAIR) whose daughter Margaret SINCLAIR married Sutherland Gow CLASS son of Cornelius CLASS & Janet SUTHERLAND.

I am descended from James SINCLAIR the chamberlain's second marriage to Elspeth SINCLAIR.

Sutherland Gow CLASS & Margaret SINCLAIR had at least eight issue, one being Lillias Jessie CLASS who married Alexander Sinclair CLYNE and they went to New Zealand in 1925.

I've just made contact with descendants.

peter