PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Smoking

kitty
25-Feb-07, 01:22
I have smoked for over 10 years now and would love to stop. I have tried a few times and sad to say that i have failed miserably. I was just wandering how you ex-smokers have managed to stop and be successful in it.

vodka-queen
25-Feb-07, 01:24
a mate of mines read a book about it n she stopped no bother n others readin the book the now n they r doin the same u want me to find out what its called worth a try

kitty
25-Feb-07, 01:26
a mate of mines read a book about it n she stopped no bother n others readin the book the now n they r doin the same u want me to find out what its called worth a try

yes please, i've got the best of intentions i guess i've just got no will power :(

Torvaig
25-Feb-07, 01:38
I recommend Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". Puts the so-called addiction into perspective. It is easily available either at local bookshops or from the library.

kitty
25-Feb-07, 01:40
I recommend Allan Carr's "Easy Way To Stop Smoking". Puts the so-called addiction into perspective. It is easily available either at local bookshops or from the library.

Have you tried it yourself or do you know someone that has? :D

pat
25-Feb-07, 01:47
decide when you are stopping then every time you feel like one just keep saying to yourself 'I am a non smoker, I do not smoke, I am a non smoker' then go and treat yourself to a walk in the fresh air, a dig in the garden, buy a bunch of flowers instead of the money on cigs, think of how your clothes and hair smell after you have been smoking and how fresh without the stale smell of smoke.
If that fails put all your cigarette ends in a jar for a week, add some water, leave overnight and every time you feel like a cigarette open jar and breathe in the smell from the jar - ughhhhh.
Think of all your friends and family who have had breathing problems due to smoking, be determined you are not going to be another statistic.

Torvaig
25-Feb-07, 01:51
Have you tried it yourself or do you know someone that has? :D

Yes, I am talking from experience and I can't tell you how wonderful it is not to have to look for a place to smoke when out in public, to not pollute non-smoking peoples' houses and to not smell obnoxious to every one around you! ;)

Moira
25-Feb-07, 02:02
Willpower has nothing to do with it - incentive is everything

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6194670.stm

horseman
25-Feb-07, 08:55
Just do it..

Honest, it may sound no so clever at all,but if your mind is made up you really can do it.

Rats in a bucket..... If I can do it anyone can....an that was over 25 years ago.

No books no patches, I am telling you, you can do it..But you do need to want to do it.

I know well enough it's easyier said than done, but it may be a bit of a comfort that an old theuchter like me managed it. I wish you all the best.:)

emszxr
25-Feb-07, 08:59
get pregnant, worked for me.

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 10:01

Thats complete tosh. You need the will to give you the incentive in the first place. I have stopped for over a year now and I used the lozenges to aid me. Going cold turkey would not suit me though, I had to have crutch. Best of luck to anyone who is trying to give up the weed.

nicnak
25-Feb-07, 11:03
I smoked for over 20yrs I eventually stopped nearly 2 years ago now and I just stopped, I too wouldnt consider I had any willpower but the incentive was saving over £35. per week was enough for me. Dont get me wrong I crave a ciggy every day and if I thought I could afford it I would probably smoke again! but hey ho thats life and no one said anything was easy and I can assure you cold turkey definately isn't! lol

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 11:07
Had stopped for 5 yr before. The longing never leaves you. THATS where the willpower comes in to effect. Can still imagine a fag in my hand. Still dream about smoking. mmmm

Torvaig
25-Feb-07, 11:23
Had stopped for 5 yr before. The longing never leaves you. THATS where the willpower comes in to effect. Can still imagine a fag in my hand. Still dream about smoking. mmmm

Oh yes it does (and it's not even the pantomine season!)!:lol:

The only cigarette you have to refuse is the next one.

dragonfly
25-Feb-07, 11:24
you won't be able to stop if you aren't 100% committed (I know from experience).

I used to smoke up to 50 a day and enjoyed them. My hubby decided he wanted to stop and I said I would try too but because I wasn't ready I failed miserably. Took me a year to finally realise that I did want to stop so I set the date that I would start being smoke free and the night before got rid of all things associated with cigarettes and made sure I had patches in for the morning.

My usual routine would have been to switch off the alarm and reach for cigs so I changed it so as soon as alarm went off I was up and in the shower and smelling nice and fresh (no disgusting smell of stale cigs by the time I got to work). At nights when I smoked the most I would go off for a walk or have a bath, also take up a hobby that keeps your hands doing something (knitting, cross-stitch)

Set yourself small goals like "I am not going to for 3 days", then when you manage the 3 days take a look back and think that wasn't so hard and congratulate yourself that you have got over the first stage and set yourself another goal for say 10 days. Once you get to 3 months it should be plain sailing as most of your cravings will have disappeared.

Willpower alone is hard so if you don't think you have much, get the patches, they do work. Good Luck, you can do it if you really want to :)

kitty
25-Feb-07, 12:52
Thank you all for all your ideas and suggestions. I'll have to choose a date and try, think i will look in the library for the book aswell :D

©Amethyst
25-Feb-07, 16:02
I stopped for 2 days, smoked 3 at a funeral, got call from my dad same day as funeral... can't go with less than 20 a day.

I want to quit, too. I'm just not sure I'm ready.

Job hunting now, so when I'm working I'll smoke less anyway... not same as quitting.

Us smokers will kick it eventually.

(gotta say, in the pub on fri night I didn't smoke that many... until I went to a party!)

cuddlepop
25-Feb-07, 16:32
Are they any smoking cessation classes near you.Mr Cp goes to them and they do help but its the craving thats difficult to ignore.
The group made him identifi what ciggi was a habit and what one was a craving.
Good luck.:D
Ps read the book and it didn't work:~(

Ricco
25-Feb-07, 16:34
I started smoking when I was 15. Smoked for years - eventually up to about 20-25 a day. Tried giving up a couple of times, but 'yielded' after a couple of months.

I eventually got a booklet that gave all sorts of tips that help. The first and most important factor is that you have to want to give up - you'll fail otherwise. Next, change some of your routines (don't worry, it's only for a short time) such as going to the pub, who you mix with, etc. You have to get away from the occasions and temptations. Keep a diary of how well you are doing - give yourself praise, you deserve it. Save all the fag money in a jar.. watch it build up and plan something special with the savings - save for at least 3 months!

Drink plenty of fresh juice - vitamin C helps the body cleanse itself of the nicotine. Itemise all the occasions when you used to have a fag (like after a meal) and break the routine by doing something different. Always keep in mind that you never crave a cigarette whilst you are asleep; its mostly psychological. And remember - it can be beaten. The cravings gradually get less, they get further apart and don't worry about the dreams (that you have had a fag) they will go away as well.

I gave up over 23 years ago and have never wanted another. In fact, the smell makes me ill now.

Good luck - I will keep rooting for you!

caithness lad
25-Feb-07, 16:39
I have smoked for over 10 years now and would love to stop. I have tried a few times and sad to say that i have failed miserably. I was just wandering how you ex-smokers have managed to stop and be successful in it.i stopped 15years ago. firstly i made a date to stop, then i got a jar and said i will put all my fag money that i save in it and treat myself later. i ate plenty of fruit and drank lots of fruit juice. i did not use patches etc. plenty of exercise and over the time the desire to smoke leaves.reward yourself with a treat each day. one day at a time, all the very best.

Sandra
25-Feb-07, 17:02
I kept saying yeah I'll give up then or tomorrow, or at this time, but never did. I was trying to convince myself I should give up, because I knew it was bad for me, and my friends, family, TV, medical profession all said I should. Everytime I had a cigarette I kepy saying why am I smoking this, but I carried on.

I never gave up properly until I was mentally ready, it was like a light bulb going on, just like that, the flick of a mental switch. Then I just gave up, on my own, using willpower, no patches.

The cravings still happen every now and then, and like someone said before, that's where the real willpower kicks in.

A change of routine certainly helps too.

Dusty
25-Feb-07, 17:41
I was given Zyban at my local GPs to deal with the nicotine craving and it worked great for me.
I had previously tried to stop numerous times but always failed because I don't think I was really all that committed to stopping.
However, waking up at 3 o'clock in the morning gasping for breath and being convinced I was going to die there and then, helped me focus my commitment and Zyban handled my craving so it was a lot easier than my previous attempts at stopping.
You have to really want to stop smoking, I think that is the main component in the whole exercise.
I can't say I feel better for stopping because I left it too late and had already caused irreversible damage to myself.
Good luck with your attempt and I hope you do manage to stop and stay stopped.

Dusty.

mccaugm
26-Feb-07, 17:43
My hubby stopped smoking 5 weeks ago after 25 years - hes only 36 now.... I nagged him incessantly, told him he would not live to see his children grow up and how would he feel if they started smoking etc etc It was only when he got flu and could not physically get out of bed to have a cigarette that he finally resolved to give up. I got him the patches and he seems to be managing fine although he has now developed an addiction to "Minstrels" and "Lockets". He says that he still has cravings but it was more the routine of when he smoked that was harder to address. I am so proud of him I cannot tell you!:Razz

bky
26-Feb-07, 23:15
i stopped for 12 yrs then stupidly started again 3-4 yr ago - decided that i would stop this year - bought enuff fags for hogmany party knowing i would run out on the 2nd of jan - and right enuff i ran out that night - and didnt buy a packet the next day and havent bought any since - going "cold turkey" aint easy but its cheaper than all the gums, stick-ons etc that are available - the cravings are still there especially first thing in the morning or when im having a pint - just think of the five and a half quid im saving every day helps

mccaugm
26-Feb-07, 23:22
i stopped for 12 yrs then stupidly started again 3-4 yr ago - decided that i would stop this year - bought enuff fags for hogmany party knowing i would run out on the 2nd of jan - and right enuff i ran out that night - and didnt buy a packet the next day and havent bought any since - going "cold turkey" aint easy but its cheaper than all the gums, stick-ons etc that are available - the cravings are still there especially first thing in the morning or when im having a pint - just think of the five and a half quid im saving every day helps

My hubby got his patches on prescription, his fags cost about £140 a month and his prescription costs about £7 a month...good maths I reckon. Kids are loving the extra money. & I am loving having a healthier husband.

JimH
27-Feb-07, 02:36
If you REALLY want to stop smoking - then JUST STOP!
I Smoked for 40 years, and finally was priced out of the market. I sat down and set a date of the 31st, March 1991, and put out my last fag at midnight, and have not had one since.
It is that easy - but only if you want to give them up.
I still fancy a fag sometimes, especially when outdoors at a function or other, but one fag and your hooked.
What all the Org Smokers who want to stop should do is as the Org Guv'nors to create a page for you all, and then lean on one and other.
But again - You MUST WANT TO DO IT.

JAWS
27-Feb-07, 10:06
I agree totally with those who point out that you can only stop if you are determined, in your own mind, that you "will" stop.
More often than not it is when something happens which terrifies you into giving up.

I started at the age of 11 and eventually was smoking 50/60 a day. I gave up after over 40 years when I discovered in one 10 minute session with a Consultant that my next stop was the Operating Theatre to prevent the loss of leg.

The sudden change from “This could happen to you” to “This is happening to you” was a wonderful incentive. I was suddenly disabused of the belief that such things only happened to others.

My advice to anybody is first make sure you really do want to stop and then do it. If you are not 100% committed then you will fail. That is one thing about which I am absolutely convinced.

Kitty, when you do make that decision then good luck and I hope you succeed.

kitty
28-Feb-07, 21:39
Kitty, when you do make that decision then good luck and I hope you succeed.

Thanks jaws

Lindsay
01-Mar-07, 21:53
I was lucky enough to go to my GP and was prescribed Zyban. I know the risks involved in taking it, but then the way I saw it was there are risks everytime I put a fag near my mouth, or any other type of medication for that matter. That was a year and a half ago now. I would never consider going back to my old ways.

©Amethyst
01-Mar-07, 22:05
I have two left. And that's it. Mr Amethyst has a big pouch of tobacco in drawer in the kitchen. I'll try my best not to touch it. This stinks, as it's the re-launch of the Novar tonight after it was flooded. Not having any alcohol tonight either. Water or coke for me... One drink and I'll chain smoke.

EEK! What's gonna happen... how grumpy will I get? *fretting*

At least Mr isn't home from work tomorrow night (or should I say sat morn) 'til 1 am - so he won't get the initial bad moods. Gawd help us next week though... he's got 4 days off... I'll have him climbing the walls.

Any tips on how I'll be able to control the grumpy moods???

Raonaid
01-Mar-07, 23:24
I used to smoke but a close friend died of throat cancer and it was'nt until I was coming back from the hospice after visiting him and I got out my fags as usual when I realised what an idiot I was being. I tried giving up in the past but seeing the man I'd known with a grossly swollen neck and well you get the picture. If that was'nt an incentive nothing would be. He was a good man who smoked and had worked in bars, surrounded by smoke all is working life, but no one should die that way.

©Amethyst
02-Mar-07, 01:55
The last two people that I've known who've died of cancer were both non smokers... neither of them had smoked at any time in their lives. So I just put off stopping over and over, telling myself "If I go, it'll be my time anyway."

I walked up fyrish recently. It wasn't too difficult at all, but next time, I hope it'll be easier. Feel like grasping at that chance to live longer.

Raonaid, you're right, no one should die that way. I hope I can persuade my partner and friends to at least try and quit, too.

LRM
02-Mar-07, 09:11
I stopped smoking 12 years ago. I was pregnant and my mum had just died and I was feeling pretty stressed yet I still managed. I think the difference the time I managed to stay stopped was that I really wanted to. I just went cold turkey and I have to say I found it easy. I read somewhere that the nicotine is out your system after 3 days so after that it is just the habit of having a fag that you crave and not the nicotine itself. My sister and dad also stopped years ago and we were all heavy smokers. If we can do it you can too. Make sure you really want to!!!!! good luck

I am now the worst ex smoker ever, I HATE the smell of it and cringe that I used to smell like that.

©Amethyst
02-Mar-07, 11:59
Well, I'm doing okay so far - but the first morning's not even over :lol:

Julia
02-Mar-07, 21:22
Patches are surely the best way to quit, just stick one over each eye and you won't be able to find your fags!

Seriously though, I'm an ex-smoker, I originally quit in 1996 by putting my last fag out at midnight and I never touched them again for about 3 years. I quit again when I found out I was pregnant but slowly started having the odd one here and there a couple of years later until it was a regular habit again. This time I am determined to stay off them, I quit again early last year as soon as I found out I was pregnant again (seeing women smoking while pregnant pregnancy really really really disgusts me!).

For the sake of my health, my children's health and the health and comfort of others around me I am 100% sure I won't start again. Since I quit I find it to be even more of a disgusting filthy habit, it makes your clothes and hair smell, your skin ages quicker and it's bad for you!

While I was in hospital having my baby I got to hold a brand new wee baby boy who shockingly stank of cigarette smoke, that child has no choice in the matter and I dread to think what affect the coming years of living in a smoke-filled atmoshpere will do to his poor lungs.

If you want a reason to stop just look at your children!

Glad I got that off my chest!

Cinders392
04-Mar-07, 18:20

Will power needs to be there too Id say. People make their own choices in life and if they chose to smoke so be it. However my mother smoked all her life and I tried everything when I was younger to get her to stop but no both my parents smoked. So when I fell pregnant with their first grand child they did the 'we smoke in the kitchen and the baby doesnt get through' bit but the baby always came home stinking. So in the end I put my son to a childminder full time putting me well out of pocket but at least my son had clean lungs.
Needless to say my mother stopped smoking and is using NRT which I wouldnt be bothered if she was on the rest of her life because it is much better than smoking.
My father has the NRT in the house but isnt ready to stop yet. Finding out the a relative smoked all his life and has got lung cancer still didnt help as he said that made him want to smoke 2 at a time (he was that shocked)!! SO untill he is ready outside in the cold for him.
Everyone has free will and its upto them however denying someone their grand children works.

Got to be cruel to be kind as my mother taught me. Back fired on her a bit
If you are wondering she now takes care of my son again.

©Amethyst
04-Mar-07, 20:06
Cold turkey. I can't afford to do it any other way.

Months ago I thought about buying patches or nicorette gum... but looking at the price I assumed that I'd probably be cheaper buying cigs.

Cold turkey... saving money... putting a fiver aside each day and I'll be in Greece in a couple of months. This month, I'm saving for my passport and flight. Next month, spending money. When I get back... I'm going to start saving for something practical.

This is only day 3, and I'm really finding it hard. And I'm eating TONS! At this rate, there'll be no chilling out by the pool for me... will be too busy walking off the weight I'm putting on lol.

EDDIE
05-Mar-07, 00:04
Cold turkey. I can't afford to do it any other way.

Months ago I thought about buying patches or nicorette gum... but looking at the price I assumed that I'd probably be cheaper buying cigs.

Cold turkey... saving money... putting a fiver aside each day and I'll be in Greece in a couple of months. This month, I'm saving for my passport and flight. Next month, spending money. When I get back... I'm going to start saving for something practical.

This is only day 3, and I'm really finding it hard. And I'm eating TONS! At this rate, there'll be no chilling out by the pool for me... will be too busy walking off the weight I'm putting on lol.
Its the first three to four weeks is the all time worse once you get past that it gets easier when i get cravings i go out for a walk it fairly helps to dampen the cravings
When u get back you should keep saving your fag money and instead of saving for something practical why not save for something you really want but you know its a waste of money?