PDA

View Full Version : Inverness train station

hotrod4
24-Feb-07, 17:24
Smokers Beware!!! I bought 10 L&B from Menzies in the train Station and it cost me ..........£2.73!! Thats 31p dearer than what i sell them for in Tesco's. Even our local corner shops dont put a 31p mark up on a 10 pack.I know business' have to make a profit but that is an outrageous mark up. I am e-mailing menzies to let them know what i think as that is a shocking price and will further enrage tourists who come up here and get ripped off!!. I will keep you posted on the outcome of my e-mail!!!!

emszxr
24-Feb-07, 21:00
how much would they have to be before you didnt buy them though?

Angela
24-Feb-07, 21:26
I've noticed that shops like Menzies & WH Smith at stations and airports mark up on most things.
Can't travel without a pack of polos and a bottle of water, so I've learned to buy them well in advance...;)

tenabowla
24-Feb-07, 21:32
Can't quite see while you might need 10 L&B on the train.

Sanctimonious ex smoker and proud

newpark
24-Feb-07, 21:53
why did you buy them then? If people buy them for that price shops will sell them for that price.

Non smoker and proud of it.

danc1ngwitch
24-Feb-07, 22:03
X smoker and glad [lol]

JAWS
24-Feb-07, 23:34
Ex-smoker and couldn't care less about it. Each to their own choice.

bky
24-Feb-07, 23:45
i was i robins chippy tonight and the machine there was wanting 5.70 for 20 fags - thankfully i aint had a fag since the new year

kitty
25-Feb-07, 01:19
why did you buy them then? If people buy them for that price shops will sell them for that price.

Non smoker and proud of it.

Shops will sell them for that because they know that if your used to buying them you tend not to look at the price until you get your change. They're just making money where they can knowing that some ppl won't leave the train station if their next train is within the hour and they know that you'll pay the extra whether its for fags or water to save the bother of finding another shop.

horseman
25-Feb-07, 09:06
My son in law just told me about the snack van that comes round his works, they charge £2.75 for 10. Thats wild.[disgust]

Royster1911
25-Feb-07, 09:56
bet you wished you never started this thread. Not a lot of sympathy for you here.[disgust]

tenabowla
25-Feb-07, 12:33
Maybe start buying a pack of polo mints, they are less addictive and 1/10th of the price.

Angela
25-Feb-07, 12:49
Maybe start buying a pack of polo mints, they are less addictive and 1/10th of the price.

I find them pretty addictive! :eek: but am trying to give them up :lol:

I agree with the OP that that shops in stations do charge too much for most things - but then they've got a captive market really.

The situation's the same at airports and garages.

It's no different in other countries I've visited and I don't think tourists would find it all that unexpected.