PDA

View Full Version : A Women In Need Of Help

emmamac
23-Feb-07, 21:16
Hi all,
I purchase a laptop yesterday and also a router, it a BELKIN I wanted to run the router from my desktop and run wireless to my laptop..
The problem I am having is the router is saying I am connected to broadband but I am not, I have just paid a lot of money to a sisco qualified technician to try and solve the problem but he was also scratching his head as he could not find anything wrong.
I have been trying all day to contact BELKIN but with no luck that is why I had to ring for a technician.
My ISP is orange, all the setting seem to be correct but not connecting up to the internet.
Anyone got any idea’s

Thanks in advance,
Emma x.
:(

Ricco
23-Feb-07, 21:52
There are several issues that could be causing the problem. You say you have a router - is it wireless or hardwire (cable)? Secondly, I found that I had to initially hardwire to my wireless router until I had got the settings all done so that the router would recognise the laptop and PC - especially when I was setting the security up. Third - the router (or, indeed, the wireless card in the laptop could be duff - it does happen.... there is a wireless card in the laptop, isn't there? I would also try phoning the Belkin agent again - they can usually run you through a number of checks.

Bobinovich
24-Feb-07, 00:09
Hi Emma

Can I ask what your router model is please? The reason I ask is that two different customers of mine have taken it on themselves to order up wireless routers and, once set up, their laptops were connecting to said router, they just couldn't get any Internet pages up.

When they asked me to take a look, on both occasions I found that they were simply wireless routers with connections for cable modems! - they didn't have their own built in ADSL modem.

In both situations the router was re-boxed and sent back and wireless routers with ADSL modems purchased instead.

FYI one was a Belkin, the other a Netgear - both companies do wireless models with and without built in ADSL modems.

Ricco
24-Feb-07, 17:24
Hi Emma

Can I ask what your router model is please? The reason I ask is that two different customers of mine have taken it on themselves to order up wireless routers and, once set up, their laptops were connecting to said router, they just couldn't get any Internet pages up.

When they asked me to take a look, on both occasions I found that they were simply wireless routers with connections for cable modems! - they didn't have their own built in ADSL modem.

In both situations the router was re-boxed and sent back and wireless routers with ADSL modems purchased instead.

FYI one was a Belkin, the other a Netgear - both companies do wireless models with and without built in ADSL modems.

Very good point, Bobinovitch.

Praetorian
25-Feb-07, 20:56
Orange was having connection problems this week Thursday/Friday I think. Perhaps they have returned. I would connect up the LAN cable first to eliminate the wireless settings also firewalls will prevent you logging on.