PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Bands

Anonymous
09-Sep-02, 14:36
Hello everyone, so here's my VERY FIRST thread! Following on from "What Are You Spinning?" and the lack of decent music these days, here's a thread to tell everyone your favourite bands/artists from yesteryear! Who got you into music in the first place and who are still your CLASSIC bands! We've mentioned a few already so fire away!

Anonymous
10-Sep-02, 08:14
Who got me into music ? Hmmm, well Andy Anderson who taught me to play drums and is still in Thurso, his wife Dorothy who suffered. Johnny Fats,Bill Johns, Dennis Manson and the Sinclair Brothers from Reay to name a few. It is hard to single out one person as so many influence your musical tastes.

Tommy Stewart

Best wishes to The Caithness musicians of today and the past :)

Anonymous
11-Sep-02, 09:46
Well done son, for me it was probably the mighty Def Leppard to start with but then it was MAIDEN!!!!!
They really got me into metal and were the biggest rock band at the time! Mind "Bring your Daughter, to the Slaughter" was the Christmas number ONE!!

Their album covers were ace and Steve Harris's galloping bass just got me going!
How many albums and how many hits? Loads! Not half mate!!!

Anyway, then I heard the evil sounds of Pantera and that was it! DEATH TO FALSE METAL!!!

Other than that on the other hands the bands that influenced me to the sounds I listen to today were FEAR FACTORY (RIP), FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY, SKINNY PUPPY (RIP), NIN, CUBANATE and APOPTYGMA BERZERK!

By the way, get Apop's albums "WELCOME TO EARTH" and "HARMONIZER".

Its not dance, its not techno and its not industrial, its somewhere in between and its ****** ACE!!!!

Anonymous
11-Sep-02, 14:19
I guess I should thank Sir Cliff Richard for introducing me to the joys of pop music! [lol] I liked him and his backup band, the Shadows, in the early 60s, when I was a wee lass in primary school. I was about 7 when I fell in love with Cliff, and wished I was grown up, so I could be his girlfriend! [lol] I remember seeing his movies, "The Young Ones" and "Summer Holiday", both of which generated hit singles of the same names.

But then along came the Beatles, and I had to cool my crush on Cliff a little, 'cause I decided that Paul McCartney was the man for me! [lol] My second favourite Beatle was John Lennon. Some of their early songs I liked were "She Loves You", "Twist And Shout" and "I Want To Hold Your Hand". I also loved their 1964 movie, "A Hard Day's Night", and 1965's "Help". Both movies had "fab" songs, including ones named after the movies themselves. :D

Jeid
24-Sep-02, 13:25
well, to be completely honest it would have to be Kurt Cobain from Nirvana and all of my friends

I picked up guitar in 1998 after listening to my friends jamming at the youth club and i really got into Nirvana(even though they mainly played Green Day)

The sounds Kurt got from his guitar was amazing.

But nowadays i'm inspired by players and bands like Foo Fighters, ACDC, Led Zep, Guns N Roses etc

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 08:34
Lady K, get a life!!! [disgust]

wavez
25-Sep-02, 08:40
Lady K, get a life!!! [disgust]

och its this new virus where the infected cant help but reply to every single posting on this web site.

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 08:48
Yeah, sad aint it!! Nowt better to do obviously!! :)

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 15:12
Ah, Renault and Wavez, I see you two make a classic case of "fools seldom differ". :roll:

wavez
25-Sep-02, 15:32
oh lady k 800+ posts

tell you what, to get rid of the virus just go too the c drive and type:

FORMAT C:

and gies peace

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 15:41
Wavez, nobody is forcing you to read my posts on the message board. You can skip over them, just as easily as you can skip over a TV or radio programme that is of no interest to you.

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 15:48
She does have a point there wavez, i started skipping past them, they started putting me to sleep, sooooooo boring!!

wavez
25-Sep-02, 15:48
well due to the fact that your messages are most of the message board thats gonna be difficult

anyway I merely wanted to point out what everyone else is saying.....freedom of speech and all that...not really a tit for tat

try and not have the last word....see if u can do it ;o)

Anonymous
25-Sep-02, 16:35
well both wavez n renault, This is a public noticeboard and I say its thanks to regualars like LadyK that keep this noticeboards interesting. So if you dont like it stay off the boards. [evil]

Keep up the postings Lady K [lol]

Anonymous
26-Sep-02, 00:53
Thanks for your kind support, Jacqueline82! I appreciate it! :D

Anonymous
26-Sep-02, 08:01
Mmmm interesting, that's a matter of opinion!!! :D

champagnebaby
26-Sep-02, 08:24
:p Well Jacqueline82 i have to disagree cos i'd say Lady K doesn't keep this noticeboard interesting. I mean who gives a toss whether she fancied Cliff Richard and The Beatles or not????

Jed-aiiiiii
26-Sep-02, 11:11
Well anyway back to the topic at hand.......

I think my major bands which shaped my life were definately Nirvana and Metallica!!

ROar :eek:

champagnebaby
26-Sep-02, 11:22
that's great!

Anonymous
26-Sep-02, 11:56
Well champagnebaby, what makes any of our opinions interesting to anyone else? I dont think that telling people that their opinions are uniteresting and being rude is the way to go, if you do not wantto read Lady K's postings you can just skip over them!!! [disgust]

champagnebaby
26-Sep-02, 11:59
That's rather difficult considering she's in just about every forum [evil]

Anonymous
26-Sep-02, 12:41
Well this is a noticeboard that we should all play nice in, not a place for you and others to air their views on Lady K or anyone else. If you do have a problem with Lady K take it up with colin coz the forums are not the place to discuss it :mad: [evil]

Jed-aiiiiii
26-Sep-02, 13:01
ChampagneBaby do you actually have anything to post about music........maybe a new general topic called 'letting off steam' would help.

champagnebaby
26-Sep-02, 13:09
Thanx Jed-aiiiiii, that's not a bad idea

Jacqueline82
The forums ARE here for discussions and you're welcome to your views same as i'm welcome to mine. But if me and fellow users want to air our views about Lady K or anyone else i think that's ocay, same as some other users may air their views on music or anything else. No one's asking you to contribute to our postings anyway - but feel free.

Anonymous
26-Sep-02, 13:27
Here here, i totally agree, freedom of speech and all that!! :)

champagnebaby
26-Sep-02, 13:34
Oh well i can say no more cos i just got a mail from Colin so that's the end of it.

squidge
28-Sep-02, 00:19
champagnebaby i should think so too. Behave yourselves all of you. Daddy Mac titled this forum "Favourite Bands" not "Favourite Bands but only if you are my age or agree with me"!! Lady K enjoys posting and she has favourite bands so i think you are wrong to be so dismissive of her.

Remember folks this a public message board and as such anyone is free to post on it. If you want a select little band of posters off you go and start your own website and board and keep your meanness off this one.

My musical influences are wide and varied - A great frind of mine who wasa great guitar player - sadly died very young - introduced me to lynyrd skynyrd and another pal who is still alive to Pink floyd and Led Zepplin - the same guy also intoduced me to Debussy and Mike oldfield amazing.

hotrod4
15-Nov-02, 14:55
well folks came here to give my opinion but what did i find!
lots of arguing over who should or shouldn't post!!. in my opinion the question asked is more important than who gets the last word.

Any way back to the subject at hand mmm favourite bands that got me into music....
believe it or not them 3 chord gods of rock Status quo!!! heard them from the age of 7 upwards but lost interest when the sound became too " produced".
moved on to the genius of nirvana and then most recently OASIS.they got me playing guitar and singing.
Anyway thats my opinion you dont have to like it. :D

2little2late
01-Feb-03, 23:16
The 70's was one of the best eras for music with glam rock. Shame there will not be anything else like it anymore. Groups like Sweet, T.rex, Slade,Mud to name but a few are sorely missed. These were proper musicians. You know the type who had their own style, didn't sound like anyone else,wrote their own songs and music and played their own instruments. I know there are still bands that are still talented today. But at least the glam rock was liked by all ages, not like nowadays where they are aimed at the teenyboppers.

me
06-Feb-03, 13:31
well being brought up in a house that constantly had different music playing I would have to say as a child my dad introduced me to music. it really depends on what mood I am in to what music I listen to.
I love bad company, madness, counting crows, pink when I have had a wee dram I have even been know to listen to a drop of country

monkey
06-Feb-03, 21:17
Heh heh heh... well, I have bad news for some of you earlier posters...

http://www.virgin.net/newsroom/mediareleases/ageingrockers.html

According to this thoroughly scientific poll, Oasis holds the title for worst present-day rock band (sorry, hotrod4), and Sir Cliff holds the number one spot for the rocker Britons would most like to see retire (sorry, LadyK).

On the bright side, LadyK (and btw, Cliff's birthday is a mere 14 days away from yours, as I'm sure you know) - Bob Dylan figured #5 in the list of top rockers aged over 50, and his well-known "Kay, Lady Kay" song is the 3rd favourite Dylan song among all those polled.

It's an interesting article... not all oldies are golden, there's not much of value from today's artistes, and the 60s/70s were a better time for rock and roll - so says the article.

Me? Gimme some Supertramp, Pink Floyd, ELO & Genesis any day! Though, I must confess, I still have Mike Oldfield here at my desk (ta for reminding me Squidge), and a Debussy CD too!!!

One last thing... LadyK, you mentioned Cliff's backup group, The Shadows. Anyone out there besides me and Highlander that thinks their music is just FAB?

Children, please don't feel you have to post a reply. :lol:

Anonymous
07-Feb-03, 01:43
Thanks for posting that URL, Mr M, I really enjoyed reading all the info! :)

Poor Cliff, though! :( Well, I still like him anyway, and I enjoyed seeing him perform at the Queen's Party at the Palace, this past year. In my opinion, I think he's still got what it takes, and he's still a good looking man at the age of 62. I think he has aged very well, probably even better than Paul McCartney, who is only 2 years his junior.

Here's part of my earlier posting, from September :

I guess I should thank Sir Cliff Richard for introducing me to the joys of pop music! [lol] I liked him and his backup band, the Shadows, in the early 60s, when I was a wee lass in primary school. I was about 7 when I fell in love with Cliff, and wished I was grown up, so I could be his girlfriend! [lol] I remember seeing his movies, "The Young Ones" and "Summer Holiday", both of which generated hit singles of the same names.
Yes, even as a child, I had my fantasies! I should have started writing my Fantasy Island stories back in primary school! [lol] The fantasies about Cliff took place in Thurso, but I managed to incorporate some of the elements from his two movies that I'd seen, and I was his girlfriend, aged around 20. I think I imagined myself as looking somewhat like Sandie Shaw, the brunette pop singer from the early 60s! :lol:

You're right, Mr M, I did know Sir Cliff's birthday was in the same month as mine, just a couple of weeks away from it. I remember feeling very chuffed as I child, when I discovered that he and I were both Librans! Several years later, I was proud to be immortalized in the Bob Dylan song you mentioned! ;) [lol]

As forThe Shadows, I did indeed think they were FAB! Their guitar sound seemed quite unique at the time -- really cool, in fact! :cool:

rachelle
07-Feb-03, 08:42
Wavez, nobody is forcing you to read my posts on the message board. You can skip over them, just as easily as you can skip over a TV or radio programme that is of no interest to you.

here here

spittalpunks
07-Feb-03, 18:33
Bolt Thrower and early Dismember rule
:evil
as does early Exodus,Testament, Deicide, Morbid Angel (absolute class), Voi Vod, Kreator (Riot of Violence is ace), Exhorder, and those gods of DM

OBITUARY!!!!!!!!!!
:evil :evil :evil

Other cool stuff Celtic Frost, Ministry, Rev Co and without doubt Bad Religion

chart muzak sucks

Jennie
16-Jun-04, 10:04
:D Less than jake is my favourite band and others I like our

Reel big fish, The specials, Madness, Mxpx, Pennywise, lagwagon, The ataris, Graveltrap, Whitmore, Solabeat Alliance, [spunge], Uncle brian, Bowling for soup, Simple plan. Never heard of it, Blink 182, New found glory, Dropkick Murpheys, Avenged sevenfold, Lostprophets, Rancid, Mighty mighty Bosstones and quite a few more.

and apart from The specials, Iv'e seen all those bands live in concert! :D

theboss
16-Jun-04, 15:52
It's got to be Guns N' Roses for me.

Long live GNR, F**k off Axl Rose.

Darren

Jeid
16-Jun-04, 17:47

Reel big fish, The specials, Madness, Mxpx, Pennywise, lagwagon, The ataris, Graveltrap, Whitmore, Solabeat Alliance, [spunge], Uncle brian, Bowling for soup, Simple plan. Never heard of it, Blink 182, New found glory, Dropkick Murpheys, Avenged sevenfold, Lostprophets, Rancid, Mighty mighty Bosstones and quite a few more.

I met Less Than Jake last year... i really wanted to shave off his Dreads :)

My friend was up on stage singing Bro Hymn with Pennywise!

A girl i know has interviewed The Ataris and saw the big fat guy from Bowling For Soup half naked :eek:

My favourite bands just now are New Found Glory and Atreyu! i love the new albums!!!

Jennie
19-Jun-04, 17:10

And I love Farse (rip) such a great ska band

I met Less Than Jake last year... i really wanted to shave off his Dreads :)

My friend was up on stage singing Bro Hymn with Pennywise!

A girl i know has interviewed The Ataris and saw the big fat guy from Bowling For Soup half naked :eek:

My favourite bands just now are New Found Glory and Atreyu! i love the new albums!!!

I met Less than Jake they are so funny! Nah you can't shave Rogers dreads off he wouldn't look the same!!!!! Got some funny pictures of me and Roger messing about with his dreads!

Yeah Chris the big fat guy from BFS has a habit of getting half naked espec at gigs! lol well he has everytime iv'e seen them he like's to show everyone his man boobs! but they are a cool bunch of blokes, so funny!

New found glory are awsome im going to see then in August at reading festival then again a couple of days later in London!

scotsboy
11-Jul-04, 13:58
So many, I'll try chronologically as to when I got into them..........but am pretty sure this will soon get mixed up :lol:

T-Rex
Deep Purple
Eagles
Neil Young
The Jam
U2
Beautiful South
Happy Mondays
Barenaked Ladies

I'm gonna give up I could go on all day :lol:

blink_182
02-Jul-05, 01:27