PDA

View Full Version : A Wealth Country Suddenly

Tubthumper
11-Feb-14, 18:27
We're a wealthy country, we'll spend whatever it takes on flood relief. This when the Thames Valley gets flooded. Nothing mentioned a couple of weeks ago when it was Somerset. Wonder if there's anything for those flooded last year or the year before. So now we're wealthy eh? Good grief...

Big Gaz
11-Feb-14, 18:31
Who will help Westminster out when it gets flooded? not many i bet!

Aestus57
11-Feb-14, 20:13
Could be there's an election coming in about 12 months! But I'm not a bit cynical !!! Got to keep those Tories in the "Home Counties" happy.

starfish
11-Feb-14, 21:07
Thames valley has had money spent on flood defences and now they will have more spent there .could the reason behind this be that cameron and his croonies, all have properties there.yet nothing has been done to help somerset levels.Not even a publicity stunt visit

ducati
11-Feb-14, 21:15
Thames valley has had money spent on flood defences and now they will have more spent there .could the reason behind this be that cameron and his croonies, all have properties there.yet nothing has been done to help somerset levels.Not even a publicity stunt visit

I think it is more to do with people in Somerset levels expect to be flooded as they, like the Dutch, live underwater. The Thames Valley hasn't flooded like this, it is as they say unprecedented. I think there are areas now that will have to be abandoned as it just won't be possible to save them every year if this carries on.

I always try to live on high ground, I always wonder why everyone else doesn't

weezer 316
11-Feb-14, 21:33
We're a wealthy country, we'll spend whatever it takes on flood relief. This when the Thames Valley gets flooded. Nothing mentioned a couple of weeks ago when it was Somerset. Wonder if there's anything for those flooded last year or the year before. So now we're wealthy eh? Good grief...

You been living under a rock? It's been all over the news for weeks about Somerset! The small fact they are a huge flood risk there also, as opposed to the Thames valley (not to mention its huge population) has added to the concern.

Dont worry though, keep spinning!

starfish
11-Feb-14, 21:54
yes maybe somerset is a flood plain but this year it been may worse because powers to be made the decision not to dredge the rivers after saying they would.They have now admitted they made a mistake.

Tubthumper
11-Feb-14, 22:38
Thames Valley hasn't flooded like this for 200 years. But it has flooded so anyone living the good life by the river (now in the river) has only themselves to blame. And we suddenly have enough money to bail them out unconditionally - I think it stinks.

starfish
11-Feb-14, 23:39
well they do say money goes to money and its a troy area ithink its all about votes .I totally agree with tubthumper it stinks

Rheghead
12-Feb-14, 00:44

I picked up on 2 quotes on tonight's News.

David Cameron; "money is no object in this relief effort"

Member of the public; "The primeminister cares"

My immediate thoughts were... " of course he cares!!! He's a politician not a humanitarian. There is a General Election next year and the floods are affecting his true blue tory heartland!"

Kenn
12-Feb-14, 00:46
So would your area if it had been flooded !
My heart goes out to the farmers who have had to part with their livestock and who have little or no hope other than bankruptcy in the future.
Don't come whinging when the price of meat, milk etc, goes up.

luskentyre
12-Feb-14, 01:01
So would your area if it had been flooded !
My heart goes out to the farmers who have had to part with their livestock and who have little or no hope other than bankruptcy in the future.
Don't come whinging when the price of meat, milk etc, goes up.

My heart goes out more to the livestock.

ywindythesecond
12-Feb-14, 02:13
We have ourselves to blame. We dont want to pay taxes to pay for the things "they" should be dealing with. Doctors,teachers, roads,dredging rivers, coastal defences, post offices, and so on. We have consistently chosen to not pay for the things which keep our society civilised for many years now. Our politicians have listened to us and have promised less tax with the same services. It doesn't work. We have to foot the bill and it is cheaper to prevent a disaster than to deal with one but we are too late for that now. Our own fault.

weezer 316
12-Feb-14, 09:50
Eh....finding myself agreeing with ywindy....ho do I get out of this?

Ywindy, your also a spin master, can you help me spin my way out of agreeing with you?

Big Gaz
12-Feb-14, 11:17
We have ourselves to blame. We dont want to pay taxes to pay for the things "they" should be dealing with. Doctors,teachers, roads,dredging rivers, coastal defences, post offices, and so on. We have consistently chosen to not pay for the things which keep our society civilised for many years now. Our politicians have listened to us and have promised less tax with the same services. It doesn't work. We have to foot the bill and it is cheaper to prevent a disaster than to deal with one but we are too late for that now. Our own fault.

If the government didn't send hundreds of millions in aid money to countries such as the one who has just spent billions putting a toy on the moon then maybe we wouldn't need to raise taxes and our services would be second to none.

Any ideas how many of those countries will send us some money to aid the flood victims? let me help you here, it's an easy one = ZERO!

starfish
12-Feb-14, 11:32
big gaz i agree spend our money in our country

George Brims
12-Feb-14, 23:02
I always try to live on high ground, I always wonder why everyone else doesn't
I've got you beat. Our house is at 5100 feet.

Big Gaz
12-Feb-14, 23:10
I've got you beat. Our house is at 5100 feet.

Ach when the oxygen levels get depleted due to global warming and the ozone hole in the atmosphere, you'll soon wish you lived lower down :D

ywindythesecond
12-Feb-14, 23:14
Eh....finding myself agreeing with ywindy....ho do I get out of this?

Ywindy, your also a spin master, can you help me spin my way out of agreeing with you?

Nothing you can do about it weezer, it comes with the gaining of wisdom over time.