PDA

View Full Version : Independence and property values

ducati
11-Feb-14, 09:34
http://www.propertyforum.com/property-in-the-uk/will-independence-impact-the-scottish-property-market.html

For many of us our property represents our only capital. How would Independence affect the values? The above link speculates but comes to no conclusion.

Does this concern you? My fear is that values could plummet if there is a poor financial performance or interest rates rise higher than the rest of the UK. In these situations you could see a fire sale as people rush to ditch Scottish property. This leaving a bunch of people stuck where they don't want to be.

Sorry about the typo...you can't edit the title :roll:

Westward
11-Feb-14, 09:38
Appears to me, ducati that you are one of those who fear all..I cannot see that all that much will change, not straight away anyway.

ducati
11-Feb-14, 09:41
Appears to me, ducati that you are one of those who fear all..I cannot see that all that much will change, not straight away anyway.

You are absolutely right. There is an awful lot to fear.

Big Gaz
11-Feb-14, 10:06
You are absolutely right. There is an awful lot to fear.

Aye and it all started with Westminster many moons ago!

Alrock
11-Feb-14, 18:13
I hope values do plummet (though they probably won't), property is way overpriced at the moment.

ducati
11-Feb-14, 18:49
Not if you need/want to sell.

Alrock
11-Feb-14, 19:03
Not if you need/want to sell.

Depends why you want to sell... If it's to buy another property, then you'd be OK, that would have gone down in price also.

Southern-Gal
11-Feb-14, 19:08
Presumably if independence happens then immigration into Scotland would be encouraged and the need for housing would increase? Or am I missing something on this one?
Property would only go down in value if everyone was trying to bail out.

RagnarRocks
11-Feb-14, 20:20
Presumably if independence happens then immigration into Scotland would be encouraged and the need for housing would increase? Or am I missing something on this one?Property would only go down in value if everyone was trying to bail out.What you need is a ground opening parachute and a bucket just in case

ducati
11-Feb-14, 20:51
Presumably if independence happens then immigration into Scotland would be encouraged and the need for housing would increase? Or am I missing something on this one?
Property would only go down in value if everyone was trying to bail out.

Got it in one!

ducati
11-Feb-14, 21:07
Depends why you want to sell... If it's to buy another property, then you'd be OK, that would have gone down in price also.

If it is to realise your investment then it is a certain paddleless canoe creek scenario.

Alrock
11-Feb-14, 22:21
If it is to realise your investment then it is a certain paddleless canoe creek scenario.

You call it an Investment... I call it a Gamble.... You may win, you may lose....

ducati
12-Feb-14, 07:59
You call it an Investment... I call it a Gamble.... You may win, you may lose....

That may well be, but you don't vote to lose.

Mrs Bradey
12-Feb-14, 10:21
Presumably if independence happens then immigration into Scotland would be encouraged and the need for housing would increase? Or am I missing something on this one?Property would only go down in value if everyone was trying to bail out.if there was an encouraged influx of immigrants, and at the same time a bail out of Scottish residents. surely this could be made to balance!

Big Gaz
12-Feb-14, 11:18
That may well be, but you don't vote to lose.

Sorry but i have been voting to lose most of my life. Not once has the party i voted for gotten into power!

RagnarRocks
12-Feb-14, 11:42
Sorry but i have been voting to lose most of my life. Not once has the party i voted for gotten into power!Well mate the monster raving looney party always were a long shot :0))

Mrs Bradey
12-Feb-14, 12:01
Well mate the monster raving looney party always were a long shot :0))sutch is life. or was!

ducati
13-Feb-14, 16:53
Actually it is starting to affect the property market, all be it, at the very top of the market.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/homes-gardens/property-news/scottish-independence-property-market-slump-blamed-on-independence-fear-1-2575495

Big Gaz
13-Feb-14, 17:03
Actually it is starting to affect the property market, all be it, at the very top of the market.

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/homes-gardens/property-news/scottish-independence-property-market-slump-blamed-on-independence-fear-1-2575495

Actually it started 4 months ago according to that article
It's as i said, the uncertainty could possibly bring the whole of the UK to its knees!.....or is that the plan?

RagnarRocks
13-Feb-14, 17:08
Its probably affecting lots of investment into Scotland at the moment not only the property market.

ducati
13-Feb-14, 21:56
Actually it started 4 months ago according to that article
It's as i said, the uncertainty could possibly bring the whole of the UK to its knees!.....or is that the plan?

Is that the plan? What plan? Who's plan? Why on earth would that be the plan? :eek:

If you want a conspiracy, what about the flooding in England, and the storms in Wales and Northern Ireland? Who's dastardly plan is that? I don't know but I could have a theory. :eek:

Big Gaz
13-Feb-14, 23:44
Is that the plan? What plan? Who's plan? Why on earth would that be the plan? :eek:

If you want a conspiracy, what about the flooding in England, and the storms in Wales and Northern Ireland? Who's dastardly plan is that? I don't know but I could have a theory. :eek:

Oh do tell Ducati, i love a good conspiracy theory :Razz

RagnarRocks
13-Feb-14, 23:52
Its the ECK he built all those windy farms to blow the storm clouds south and drown the rest of the country :0))

Southern-Gal
14-Feb-14, 09:16
If the vote result was a yes and the new currency was the thistle, as suggested yesterday on the radio, then who is to say what the exchange rate would be? Might tourists get less thistles than say euros for their pounds? Might it make up here less of a destination? Might they think why go to cold Scotland when I can holiday in sunny France for less?
Would first time buyers get a mortgage?
How much would it cost to destroy all the current currency and manufacture a new one? Is Scottish money printed in Scotland? What would happen in the interim?

ducati
14-Feb-14, 09:55
If the vote result was a yes and the new currency was the thistle, as suggested yesterday on the radio, then who is to say what the exchange rate would be? Might tourists get less thistles than say euros for their pounds? Might it make up here less of a destination? Might they think why go to cold Scotland when I can holiday in sunny France for less?
Would first time buyers get a mortgage?
How much would it cost to destroy all the current currency and manufacture a new one? Is Scottish money printed in Scotland? What would happen in the interim?

It would be really hard to value the thisle. My land hosts billions of them so I imagine I would be pretty wealthy, but what about the poor folk who live in the town?

Also, you would have to go shopping with thick gloves.

ducati
17-Feb-14, 08:56
Back to the subject, I've been monitoring house prices and there is definately a trend downwards. I'd be interested to understand if there is a lack of activity in the market in the run up to the referendum as this will explain why.

Southern-Gal
17-Feb-14, 09:00
Buyers from South will likely be put off at the moment.

Mrs Bradey
17-Feb-14, 10:55
Buyers from South will likely be put off at the moment.I don't know, its probably the only way you can sell a vote! sell to someone south of the border before June 17th, and the new owner would get to vote in one of the most important ballots ever! a most definite once in a lifetime opportunity!

ducati
17-Feb-14, 17:19
Back to the subject, I've been monitoring house prices and there is definately a trend downwards. I'd be interested to understand if there is a lack of activity in the market in the run up to the referendum as this will explain why.

Of course after a yes vote we would lose the low interest rates we have now, oh and most of the lenders, so that ain't going to help. If the housing market crashes, so does the economy.

ducati
03-Mar-14, 09:44
I now have anacdotal evidence of lenders pulling out of mortgage offers for no apparent reason. Anyone had this problem?

Southern-Gal
03-Mar-14, 10:23
I must admit if this had popped up when we were looking we would have probably waited until after the vote and made up our minds then. On the other hand if the vote is a no property could go through a mini boom as all the people who are hanging back could then get a wiggle on and invest. Maybe now is the best time to buy as sellers will be more likely to take an offer?