PDA

View Full Version : broadband

gee
23-Feb-07, 13:58
i am looking to change from bt yahoo broadband because it has become nothing but trouble. who do you recommend?

dozerboy
23-Feb-07, 14:02
I was on Tiscali 2MB in Watten - was fine and about £15 / month unlimited time and downloads

Metalattakk
23-Feb-07, 14:11
I'd suggst you visit this site - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ - and check out their forums for recommendations.

Tiscali are one of the LEAST popular ISPs there due to their traffic-shaping and speed-limits.

I'd also advise against signing up with Orange. We've been with them since FreeServe days and they steadfastly refuse to give us a MAC so we can move to another ISP, despite the new OFCOM rules which came in on the 14th of this month. Their Customer Service will happily lie to you, repeatedly. I can't wait to be shot of them, to be honest.

We'll be moving to UKFSN - http://www.ukfsn.org/home/internet/adsl/maxallowance.html - as soon as is possible.

Angela
23-Feb-07, 16:49
I'd also advise against signing up with Orange.

Me too - I went with Orange broadband because I'd started out with freeserve...and it seemed easiest and cheapest to upgrade to their broadband.

Not a wise move. I've had a lot of email problems since then :(

Would it be difficult for me to escape?

Buttercup
23-Feb-07, 16:52
Been with BT for years now with no problems.

molly
23-Feb-07, 17:42
I was with Bt for 12mths when it was only dial up available. Had no end of problems with being logged off or unable to connect.
I then changed to AOL dial up and got on alot better. I stayed with them and eventually upgraded to Broadband. In total have been an AOL customer for about 8 years. I have had no problems with them. They are good but i cannot speak for everybody. I recommended it to 4 friends and they have also now been long time customers with no problems.

Metalattakk
23-Feb-07, 17:58
Me too - I went with Orange broadband because I'd started out with freeserve...and it seemed easiest and cheapest to upgrade to their broadband.

Not a wise move. I've had a lot of email problems since then :(

Would it be difficult for me to escape?

Probably. When you upgraded you would have signed up for another year, immediately you'd have to buy out that contract before going anywhere.

Then you might (but might not) be lumbered with the troubles I've been having with them too.

They really are a shower of [evil] .

Meh.

gee
23-Feb-07, 18:19
thankyou all for your advice, have applied to aol broadband. seems quite a good deal. thanx again for all the advice.

johno
24-Feb-07, 00:51
thankyou all for your advice, have applied to aol broadband. seems quite a good deal. thanx again for all the advice.
Im with aol broadband and have had no trouble with it at all. I presume that your getting the phone deal too. Thats great cos you can phone all day & all night unlimited, dont even have to redial after an hour. :D

Bobinovich
24-Feb-07, 01:08
Sorry but as someone who has setup and dealt with MANY different ISP's over the last 13 years I can tell you that most ISP's have their pitfalls...

- I'd never recommend AOL - there's really too many reasons to go into. The only thing they are doing right (IMHO) is that they're supplying the Netgear DG834 wireless router which is a great piece of equipment!

- Orange has adopte the awful Livebox which I've found to be a right pain to setup wirelessly

- Tiscali has good prices but with limited speeds which is fine for light users but not handy for power users

- BT I felt was getting complacent and thought themselves invunerable, however from what I've experienced with a couple of situations recently, I do feel that they are striving to get back some of their reputation.

I'm personally with the BT Business - first with an Anytime Dial-Up account, then with ISDN, now Broadband - and have had excellent service for many years, including being quite quick off the mark upgrading my line to 8Mb at no extra cost.

The truth is that you can have problems with any provider - it just depends on how lucky or unlucky you are...

johno
24-Feb-07, 17:41
Sorry but as someone who has setup and dealt with MANY different ISP's over the last 13 years I can tell you that most ISP's have their pitfalls...

- I'd never recommend AOL - there's really too many reasons to go into. The only thing they are doing right (IMHO) is that they're supplying the Netgear DG834 wireless router which is a great piece of equipment!

- Orange has adopte the awful Livebox which I've found to be a right pain to setup wirelessly

- Tiscali has good prices but with limited speeds which is fine for light users but not handy for power users

- BT I felt was getting complacent and thought themselves invunerable, however from what I've experienced with a couple of situations recently, I do feel that they are striving to get back some of their reputation.

I'm personally with the BT Business - first with an Anytime Dial-Up account, then with ISDN, now Broadband - and have had excellent service for many years, including being quite quick off the mark upgrading my line to 8Mb at no extra cost.

The truth is that you can have problems with any provider - it just depends on how lucky or unlucky you are...WELL LIKE THEY SAY
DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFERENT FOLKS?.