PDA

View Full Version : Question for all car owners...info needed...

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 13:12
Just trying to find out if anyone out there has had any issues with their back windscreen breaking on their car these past few months?

~If so, have you had any trouble getting it replaced a few times for the same vehicle? Did you have to pay? Who did you use to replace it? Was it for example Autoglass? Did they do it under warranty?

jax
08-Feb-14, 14:42
If you do end up having to pay, try National windscreens there is a branch in Inverness they are much cheaper than Auto glass.

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 14:49
Thanks but I am more interested in information from others experiences

jax
08-Feb-14, 15:01
Glad to be of non assistance

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 15:03
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. As stated in the first post, experience of others would be helpful. Specifically replacing under warranty for a second, third time in say, 5 or 6 months...

RagnarRocks
08-Feb-14, 15:24
It would depend and what the reason for the rear windshield breaking was. If the windshield has broken due to poor manufacturing or a fault within the car then its covered under warranty. If its because its been hit by something and broken through no fault in manufacture or fitting then its probably not covered.

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 17:02
hmm... an untouched window exploding out the way 3 times since 28th August.
window company admitted to fitting three in the past 2 weeks on the same type of car, some one from Caithness also had two done in 3 months. No damage to car other than window and car sitting parked each of the three times... yet they still want money...?

No one else had this?

ducati
08-Feb-14, 17:15
hmm... an untouched window exploding out the way 3 times since 28th August.
window company admitted to fitting three in the past 2 weeks on the same type of car, some one from Caithness also had two done in 3 months. No damage to car other than window and car sitting parked each of the three times... yet they still want money...?

No one else had this?

What make of car?

focusRS
08-Feb-14, 17:34
I have encountered a similar problem. It may be the heated rear window staying live due to a faulty dash instrument and nothing whatsoever to do with who fitted the window.

Big Gaz
08-Feb-14, 17:51
It used to be quite common many moons ago on BMC/Leyland cars during the winter. Whenever the rear screen heater was on it often melted the contacts on the cheapo made in taiwan switch thus leaving them on all the time. Result was a hot window after a while then when a drop in temperature or sudden gust of chilly air would often shatter them. I heard some mazdas and fords have this problem still. Dunno what car you have though

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 18:11
This is a Renault.
I feel it to be the glass that's the issue, not to do with fitment.
Thanks, there's no fault on the dash that I know of to do with it...? It's very strange. Maybe it is the contacts as these are supplied with the window itself by the fitting company

focusRS
08-Feb-14, 18:21
Aye it was a Renault espace that I seen this happen on. A fault with the dual climate control was to blame. It resulted in the heated rear window staying live.

pirateeye
08-Feb-14, 22:29
Interesting, thank you

focusRS
08-Feb-14, 22:45
No bother. Took me many mugs of coffee and many more swear words to find the problem for the owner of that French automobile. A £25 Ebay purchase had him on his way again.

espadartecars
10-Feb-14, 18:34
Friends of mine have had this problem with their Renault which was quite new.Surely the garage if they have admitted to fitting a few know there must be a known fault and will replace free of charge.

muddywilli
13-Feb-14, 21:14
If you look at some French car forums it is a common problem. Mostly down to electrical issues within the car. If the glass was faulty it would last hours at most a day. The terminals soldered on the are the same on every rear heated window. French cars are renown for bad electrical problems. Also doesn't help that the rear door is plastic and they do flex alot putting strain on a bonded window. It is common with Espace, Megane and Citroen cars. I am pleased to hear you say it was fitted properly. You could also mention that the local Autoglass Technician cleaned out the car the best he could, removed the old bits broken glass and cover the aperture with crash wrap film to keep the car watertight. I understand your dilemma but he can only do as he is instructed by the Inverness office.To ensure it doesn't happen again you need the car wiring tested by a auto electrician before fitting another piece of glass. Once the car has been checked and it's ok or fixed, then you can ask Autoglass for Warranty. It is not down to Autoglass to get your car electrics checked. They are only there as a glass replacement service.The other Espace owner may of had his replaced under warranty because the time between fitting and breaking was matter of days. Autoglass are a very fair and honest company to do business with. If you have a problem you can call 0800 124124 and ask for customer service or call Inverness Branch direct on 01463 719895.