PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhikers

_Ju_
23-Feb-07, 01:08
It's not safe. Don't hitchhike. Nor do I give lifts unless I know them.

changilass
23-Feb-07, 01:13
In the past I have never given a thought to the dangers of hitchers and have never had any probs with them, even found a tenner on the dash that one guy left behind.

Now we have mini changi I would not pick up a hiker unless hubby and the dogs were also in the car, no way would I risk such precious cargo as mini changi.

henry20
23-Feb-07, 11:12
I had a discussion on this with someone in the pub a few weeks ago - he had successfully hitch hiked from Inverness to Thurso. Had this been a couple of decades ago, I wouldn't have been surprised (although I would only be 7 and not in a pub :lol:) but in this day and age, I think people are crazy to hitch hike or pick up hitch hikers. While I assume that the majority of hitch hikers are genuine and would be grateful of the lift, you just never know who you are picking up! Also, the hitch hikers don't know whose cars they are getting into. I think its too risky for either party.

emszxr
23-Feb-07, 12:01
no , i would never hitch, and i would never give a lift to a hitch hiker. i wouldnt even give a lift to someone unless i know them really well, or they were very good looking (only kidding).
i once seen i guy who i knew by seeing him about and he was trying to hitch a lift back up north one night. i didnt stop for him. i just didnt know him that well.

Whitewater
23-Feb-07, 13:33
In my young days (in the distant past) I hitchhiked and also picked up hitchhikers if I had room in the car. In these days it was an accepted method for students and young people to get around, neither money nor cars were available to young people in these days. Things have now changed, young people want for nothing and hitchhiking has gone out of fashion. Over the years there have been many bad experiences for both the hikers and the people who pick them up, most people now are rather scared to pick anybody up and I don't think they can be blamed for that.

I still give lifts to people, but it is people I know and they are usually arranged. There is nothing wrong with somebody putting a note on the org asking for a lift, and that to me is acceptable, if I were to be travelling at the time requested I would have no hesitation in helping out, but picking a person on the side of the road could be dodgy. Perhaps we are all becoming cowards and meanies, but I'm afraid that is what this modern society is turning us all into.

dozerboy
23-Feb-07, 13:37
In the past I have never given a thought to the dangers of hitchers and have never had any probs with them, even found a tenner on the dash that one guy left behind.

Now we have mini changi I would not pick up a hiker unless hubby and the dogs were also in the car, no way would I risk such precious cargo as mini changi.

LOL - "Mini Changi!"

I agree though - I picked up a couple of hitchers on Skye many years ago and there was no problem, they were German tourists, but I certainly wouldn't do it now. Things seem to have moved on, and people are all too quick to hurt you even if you have gone out your way to help them!

It would make no difference if my dowg was in the car though - the only thing he might do is lick them to death!!

rockchick
23-Feb-07, 14:10
I used to hitchhike regularly in my teens, as I was flat broke and it was really the only way to get around. I got propositioned regularly, but no one ever refused to take no for an answer, and so it was okay. No way would I do it now tho. Times have changed and people I think are much quicker to violence than they used to.

As for picking up hitchhikers, I've only done it once coming from Inverness to Wick, and they were fine. But I probably wouldn't make a habit of it, cuz you just don't know.

Errogie
23-Feb-07, 15:44
I'll sometimes pick up a hitch hiker if the journey is long and tiredness threatens so we can have a conversation to keep me awake.
Once however the individual promptly went to sleep as soon as he got into the car ...not much use.

The other thing which is most likely to put me off is a large pack with buckles and straps but someone with a musical instrument usually gets a lift. I also see people trying to hitch from really bad pick up locations where you just do not want to try and stop. Guys with trade number plates under their arm heading to pick up a vehicle will already have been given their train or bus fare.

So far never picked up a kilted hitcher although I'm told it's a sure passport to a lift but have given one of these travelling German joiners dressed like a Gaucho with a broad rimmed black hat a lift.

Suppose I'm gratefull for the odd times I've been left with no alternative and have managed to get a lift from someone and just like to return the favour.

Angela
23-Feb-07, 15:52
[quote=Errogie;193881]
So far never picked up a kilted hitcher although I'm told it's a sure passport to a lift but have given one of these travelling German joiners dressed like a Gaucho with a broad rimmed black hat a lift.
[quote]

I'd a (male) friend who hitched very successfully around Europe in a kilt, but he did have a few slightly dodgy experiences along the way :roll:

johno
24-Feb-07, 00:18
I used to pick up almost every hitcher on the road till one time i picked up this couple on the way way to inverness, they wer,nt in the back seat long when i noticed the bloke fidgiting with his hands . not knowing what to expect i looked right behind me and there he was twiting a piece of wood right there ,all over the back seat & the carpet.[ignorant git] So i just pulled over right there & then and ejected him & told her to remove herself which she did with great haste. I only give lifts now to folk known to me. [evil]

connieb19
24-Feb-07, 14:05
i looked right behind me and there he was twiting a piece of wood right there .[ignorant git] [evil]
haha, first time Ive ever heard it being called that. :eek:

Rheghead
24-Feb-07, 15:04
'The Hitcher' was a very scary film, I reckon that didn't help matters.:lol:

Victoria
24-Feb-07, 21:49
for some reason i would only consider hitch-hiking or picking up one in rural areas.

a couple of years ago we broke down in skye and had to stay for a week before our car was fixed. Everyone was really lovely to us and we met a guy in the pub that offered us a lift the next day into portree so that we could go and hire a car. Nobody had to help us and thats the difference with rural areas.

I aslo used to live in Dorset when I was younger and it was quite a long walk into the town along this one particular road. If drivers saw people walking along the road they would always stop and offer a lift.

kitty
25-Feb-07, 01:14
I wouldn't pick up any hitchickers because you never know who you are going to get. Don't get me wrong most of them are probably harmless but you just never know. My boyfriend used to pick them up when he was a courier but i def wouldn't pick them up by myself. It's not worth the risk.

danc1ngwitch
26-Feb-07, 16:01
I used to pick up almost every hitcher on the road till one time i picked up this couple on the way way to inverness, they wer,nt in the back seat long when i noticed the bloke fidgiting with his hands . not knowing what to expect i looked right behind me and there he was twiting a piece of wood right there ,all over the back seat & the carpet.[ignorant git] So i just pulled over right there & then and ejected him & told her to remove herself which she did with great haste. I only give lifts now to folk known to me. [evil]
He messed your seat and carpet, the mind boggles to why he did this... ( total lack of respect )

johno
26-Feb-07, 16:28
He messed your seat and carpet, the mind boggles to why he did this... ( total lack of respect )
aye and i,ll tell you something else, he was damn lucky the wife was wi me as he,d a got real messed up himself.[evil]