PDA

View Full Version : Commonwealth Games Sanity or Vanity

RagnarRocks
06-Feb-14, 09:47
I just thought id voice an opinion on what I consider is a complete waste of money. The commonwealth games in my opinion are a complete waste of money, whilst we have people not getting the treatment they require on the NHS, Hospitals requiring new equipment.Schools that require new equipment and buildings. Poverty and lack of funding on infrastructure and coastal defences how can we justify the exhorbitant expenditure that goes in to a short televisual experience for the majority, yes a minority get to view the events live but does that really justify the costs involved. People talk about the legacy well that usually means lots of stadiums which never really make money after the fact and end up costing us more money. The Olympics also fall into the same category in my opinion.

jax
06-Feb-14, 10:37
I do agree with your points but and it is only a but, the games do create a feel good buzz. I wasn't particularly in favour of all the money spent on the olimpics though I did enjoy some of the coverage which I didn't expect as I'm not a big sports fan.

ducati
06-Feb-14, 17:30
I suppose we do need to interact with the rest of the world (apart from bombing them obviously).:eek:

Mrs Bradey
06-Feb-14, 20:34
I suppose we do need to interact with the rest of the world (apart from bombing them obviously).:eek:bombing the commonwealth however much fun it would be. it would be down the UK to do the cleanup probably cost more than the games. in answer to RR I agree its a complete waste of money. if you want feelgood from sports go to a match / game / event etc or watch it on tv (ok. if you like football - on every 2 mins). maybe if tv was better we would do without the games?

camor
06-Feb-14, 21:13
So the Commonwealth Games are a waste of money ??? What about all the atheletes that have trained for this?? There is no better way to encourage participation in sport than to hold large events like this. Would it not be better for our nation to encourage the kids to get out and take part in sport (no neccesarily competitavely) With attitudes like that I gather you would rather see everybody locked indoors staring at the TV witching some reality or soap drivel instead of being out and about inteacting with people and being healthy and fit.

RagnarRocks
06-Feb-14, 21:29
No problems with people participating in sport what so ever just problems with the vast amounts of money now thrown at sport which could be better used elsewhere. Before the 1970s many sportsmen were amateur did it for a love of the sport nowadays many are professional prima donnas paid fortunes to keep fit then go out under the guise of doing it for the country. I just think sports has become a little over played for the role it actually plays in society. If you want to keep fit there's plenty of ways to do it, I did not for one second children should be indoors watching TV and if they aren't out doing things which keep them healthy, that's probably more down to the way society has embraced the digital age and over protective parents.

oldchemist
06-Feb-14, 21:47
Has Eck said if we are in or out of the Commonwealth after Indy Day?

Mrs Bradey
07-Feb-14, 02:43
So the Commonwealth Games are a waste of money ??? What about all the atheletes that have trained for this?? There is no better way to encourage participation in sport than to hold large events like this. Would it not be better for our nation to encourage the kids to get out and take part in sport (no neccesarily competitavely) With attitudes like that I gather you would rather see everybody locked indoors staring at the TV witching some reality or soap drivel instead of being out and about inteacting with people and being healthy and fit.just because I believe the games to be a waste of money I don't think they will be cancelled. so the athletes that have been in training for them will be ok! parents could take children to sporting events, as I'm sure many do. I am against non competitive sports. or is winning for losers?

camor
07-Feb-14, 06:32
just because I believe the games to be a waste of money I don't think they will be cancelled. so the athletes that have been in training for them will be ok! parents could take children to sporting events, as I'm sure many do. I am against non competitive sports. or is winning for losers?

Why would they be cancelled?? Just because some people think they are a waste of money? I don't think so. Non competitive sport has it's place, there are plenty people out there who cycle, run etc just for the pleasure of it. We are heavily involved in a fiercly competitive sport and it add a real spice to things but not everyone has that edge to them so I am in favour of all form of sporting participation and things like the commonwealth game just show cases what people can do. What next, do you want things like Wimbledon and the Grand Prix canceled cos they are a waste of money?

RagnarRocks
07-Feb-14, 09:54
Wimbledon and the Grand Prixs are self funding and don't expect the government to dip into the pockets of the public to the sum of hundreds of millions of pounds. The commonwealth and the Olympics are just a gravy train let them do sport but like football, rugby, tennis , formula one let them pay for it themselves.

jax
07-Feb-14, 10:41
I thought one of the points of the Olimpics is to bring the nation together and give the people pride in their country this is why it should be government funded. It should all be amature athletes. I don't agree with non competivness being taught in schools let there be winners & losers.

jax
07-Feb-14, 10:46
Wimbledon and the Grand Prixs are self funding and don't expect the government to dip into the pockets of the public to the sum of hundreds of millions of pounds. The commonwealth and the Olympics are just a gravy train let them do sport but like football, rugby, tennis , formula one let them pay for it themselves.In the creation of new facilities that itself has created jobs in construction & maintenance jobs in the future. The stadiums should hopefully be used in the future by local clubs & amatures. Why shouldn't the government give something back to the people?

Mrs Bradey
07-Feb-14, 12:18
Why would they be cancelled?? Just because some people think they are a waste of money? I don't think so. Non competitive sport has it's place, there are plenty people out there who cycle, run etc just for the pleasure of it. We are heavily involved in a fiercly competitive sport and it add a real spice to things but not everyone has that edge to them so I am in favour of all form of sporting participation and things like the commonwealth game just show cases what people can do. What next, do you want things like Wimbledon and the Grand Prix canceled cos they are a waste of money?I didn't say the games should be cancelled. those who run & cycle for fitness and fun are partaking of a leisure pastime / hobby, not sport, unless you race! RR and jax have already covered the grand prix and wimbledon, I would add, the grand prix brings in hundreds of millions of pounds into this country even when the racing is abroad! most of the f1 teams are UK based. wimbledon also generates a small fortune, and its only on for few weeks. in MY opinion the games are a waste of money. 10 years the facilities will be in a poor state, or derelict!

RagnarRocks
07-Feb-14, 15:08
In the creation of new facilities that itself has created jobs in construction & maintenance jobs in the future. The stadiums should hopefully be used in the future by local clubs & amatures. Why shouldn't the government give something back to the people?Problem is if you look at Olympic sites around the world they rarely live up to the promise of all the budding athletes using them after the fact and frequently end up just decaying leviathans on the edge of towns. Constructions for the sake of construction is a fools errand. That money could of been spent building sea defences and far better utilities around the country rather than just a brief moment of glory now fading into history with a very expensive legacy left in its wake.