PDA

View Full Version : Quad bikes

Dreich Day
04-Feb-14, 12:05
Hello, I am new to Caithness and have a question about children riding quad bikes. I understood that it was illegal for under 13 year olds to ride quad bikes, even on private land, and that over 13s have to have some kind of recognised training?

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 12:19
yup, you are correct.
Quote from quad bike law blurb

"Quad bikes are not legal on public roads unless equipped for road use. This includes fitting correct lighting, number plates, having a current roadworthiness certificate (MOT) & Road Fund Tax. Riders must be over 16 and insured (no mentio of licence strangely enough).
On private land, children under 13 are prohibited from driving or being a passenger on one.

Those aged 13 or over are allowed to ride quad bikes of an appropriate size and power, but only after they have been given formal training."

So who you grassing up :-)

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 12:39
I used to ride a Honda CD 175 when I was 11 and by 13 I'd thrash about on a CCM 500 och the worlds changed

motopitcrew
04-Feb-14, 13:10
from the age of six you can hold a race licence and race in organised events to obtain a licence you must be a member of a recognised club such as caithness motox club

pig whisperer
04-Feb-14, 13:26
Many years ago my friend used to drive her dads Hillman Husky van round the fields with 3 of us in it some things change & some things stay the same tho quad bikes are a different kettle of fish, we didn't see any danger we were about 13 at the time

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 13:29
The part i don't understand is that a child under 13 cannot ride one on private land. Surely if the child is perfectly capable, supervised and it's on private land, why are the govt prohibiting it?

mi16
04-Feb-14, 13:51
Perhaps too many were hurting themselves

jax
04-Feb-14, 14:16
yup, you are correct.Quote from quad bike law blurb "Quad bikes are not legal on public roads unless equipped for road use. This includes fitting correct lighting, number plates, having a current roadworthiness certificate (MOT) & Road Fund Tax. Riders must be over 16 and insured (no mentio of licence strangely enough). On private land, children under 13 are prohibited from driving or being a passenger on one. Those aged 13 or over are allowed to ride quad bikes of an appropriate size and power, but only after they have been given formal training."So who you grassing up :-)I don't think they need an MOT if they are classed as an agricultural machine just like a tractor does not need one but taxed & insured a must if used on the road. I don't really see there's anything wrong if they are on their own land? Surely the parents are fit to decide what their child gets upto?

jax
04-Feb-14, 14:18
The part i don't understand is that a child under 13 cannot ride one on private land. Surely if the child is perfectly capable, supervised and it's on private land, why are the govt prohibiting it?I can't understand that blurb either, kids ride motocross bikes competively from a much younger age & they have to practice somewhere. At funfare type events kiddies quad bike rides are often there, can't see them breaking the law & young kids go on there rides?

Dreich Day
04-Feb-14, 14:20
yup, you are correct.
Quote from quad bike law blurb

So who you grassing up :-)

I wasn't intending to grass up anybody and, if I did, it would be to the police or social services and not on a forum. I was merely asking for information - is that not allowed on here? I am just gettting a bit annoyed at an unsupervised kid, who looks to be about 8 years old, driving up and down past my house and driving us all nuts.

jax
04-Feb-14, 14:31
Hey keep calm, take a deep breath......yes asking advice is good. Perhaps have a quiet word with the parents explain how its driving you nuts? Maybe they don't realize its causing any offence?

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 14:37
I wasn't intending to grass up anybody and, if I did, it would be to the police or social services and not on a forum. I was merely asking for information - is that not allowed on here? I am just gettting a bit annoyed at an unsupervised kid, who looks to be about 8 years old, driving up and down past my house and driving us all nuts.

Lighten up! see the smile at the end of my statement? it was meant as a joke, hence the smile and your information was verified like you asked so no need to get snippy about it!

So you did have a problem as you NOW mention and as you obviously want it sorting you have already looked it up on the internet to get the info, so why the cloak and dagger routine on here and not a straight question stating the facts you now disclose? Contact the police or the council. Simple

And by my reckoning now, even though it was a joke on my post it seems YOU DO want to grass someone up because it's making your life a misery.

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 15:06
I've learned a lesson since moving here,people and things are more relaxed up here some people do things a little differently and not always according to the law but at the end of the day as a well known solicitor said to me if its really that bad its probably best to just move

Dreich Day
04-Feb-14, 15:13
Yes, it was obviously a mistake to register on this forum. I have not already "looked it up on the internet" but was given the information by a local. I merely sought verification as to whether the information I had been given was correct. More fool me.
It is not making my life a misery - it is annoying me. You are obviously employed by Caithness.org to get rid of any new members you can bully into submission. Okay, well done. That's me gone and good luck to any other new members who think this forum is for an open exchange of ideas.

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 15:27
So you didn't believe the member of the public who gave you the correct information and instead of just looking it up on the internet, you decided to join a public forum and ask. You did ask a question to which you got your answer, and you got a crack of a joke at the end of it. Forgive me for thinking there was an underlying reason for obtaining the answers to the question you asked but it transpired that there was!
Nobody bullied you into submission and i'm not employed by Caithness.org to get rid of fair and upstanding members of the Caithness community such as yourself.
But just stop and think about this! That last wee sentence you added that includes the words "this forum is for an open exchange of ideas". Why did you add that when you yourself had a hidden agenda for acquiring the information you asked about and which wasn't divulged until you got the strop on.

Tell it as it is and you'll be better thought of on here if you do!

jax
04-Feb-14, 15:34
Yes, it was obviously a mistake to register on this forum. I have not already "looked it up on the internet" but was given the information by a local. I merely sought verification as to whether the information I had been given was correct. More fool me.It is not making my life a misery - it is annoying me. You are obviously employed by Caithness.org to get rid of any new members you can bully into submission. Okay, well done. That's me gone and good luck to any other new members who think this forum is for an open exchange of ideas.Eh....hello....I'm a new member & have given you a sensible suggestion. Thank you for blatantly ingnoring me & getting dug straight into to other orgers! I've found some really good advice on here!

Mrs Bradey
04-Feb-14, 15:51
Gaz clear your mail boxit will be full of messages from herself! this one didn't seem to last long!

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 16:08
lol, i didn't know it was full. Sorted now :)

p.s. it's RagnarRocks fault, they were all from him lol (only one from Ms Irving)

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 16:12
Its always my fault I carry the burden of the world on my shoulders :0)) lucky I've got broad shoulders eh

jax
04-Feb-14, 16:41
Its always my fault I carry the burden of the world on my shoulders :0)) lucky I've got broad shoulders ehPoor RR the wee violin is playing for you lol

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 16:45
Poor RR the wee violin is playing for you lolMake it a cello at least

jax
04-Feb-14, 16:48
Make it a cello at leastYou keep going on about your stature does that really mean your a 7 stone stick lol

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 16:48
You keep going on about your stature does that really mean your a 7 stone stick lolX3 and you're pretty much there lol

jax
04-Feb-14, 16:51
X3 and you're pretty much there lolChellos are reserved for Jaws music.....or was it a double bass....hymn wouldn't want to get my facts wrong we all know where that leads lol

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 16:54
Chellos are reserved for Jaws music.....or was it a double bass....hymn wouldn't want to get my facts wrong we all know where that leads lolWell if its jaws from the bond movies he's 2.18m I'm 2m so you choose,der dum der dum, dum, dum dum :0)))

Mrs Bradey
04-Feb-14, 16:57
lol, i didn't know it was full. Sorted now :)p.s. it's RagnarRocks fault, they were all from him lol (only one from Ms Irving)fallen out already tut tut ha ha ha!

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 16:59
I've not fallen out of anywhere for quite some time :0))

jax
04-Feb-14, 17:01
[QUOTE=Mrs Bradey;1068452]fallen out already tut tut ha ha ha![/QUONow now Mrs Bradey we're all good orgers, strictly speaking I'm not as I'm still a member

jax
04-Feb-14, 17:03
I've not fallen out of anywhere for quite some time :0))What do you mean you've got stuck lol

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 18:00
What do you mean you've got stuck lolWould thoust be suggesting I'm a little on the lard side ? :0D

jax
04-Feb-14, 18:14
Would thoust be suggesting I'm a little on the lard side ? :0DEmmmm...much backtracking....robust more like :O

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 18:18
Emmmm...much backtracking....robust more like :OI can live with robust :0))

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 20:50
I can live with robust :0))

Does "robust" mean you have strong boobies? [lol]

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 20:51
Does "robust" mean you have strong boobies? [lol]That's no way to talk about officers of the law :0))

Big Gaz
04-Feb-14, 21:08
That's no way to talk about officers of the law :0))

now then, now then, now then, whats all this then? chest a minute you!!

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 21:17
I really must try and keep abreast of these threads . Now you understand why I don't ride quad bikes

Mrs Bradey
04-Feb-14, 21:22
I really must try and keep abreast of these threads . Now you understand why I don't ride quad bikesyou could ride 2 ha ha ha ha!!

RagnarRocks
04-Feb-14, 21:45
you could ride 2 ha ha ha ha!!Well as I've only got two arms and two legs not sure how that would work but interesting concept

orkneycadian
23-Feb-14, 14:50
The age 13 rule only applies when its at a place of work. Farms and other agricultural, horticultural or forestry operations are places of work, the equipment (quad bike) is generally a business asset, and the operation comes under the scrutiny of the HSE.

If its a private quad bike, and the land is private, then there are no restrictions. You'll find you can buy very small quad bikes that even a 13 year old would look far too big for.

Its more a grey area if a farmer buys a quad for his kids to play on. Its not in the course of agriculture, but is still owned by the farm.

Some comment on it in this article;

http://www.scotsman.com/news/demands-for-crackdown-on-quad-bikes-after-farmer-s-son-9-killed-1-802604