PDA

View Full Version : Business & Personality

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
02-Feb-14, 14:45
How important are personalities in business?

In recent threads it would seem to show they are very important - any examples of not doing business with a company due to a personality?

Or going specifically to the business because of an individual personality - owner or employee???

RagnarRocks
02-Feb-14, 14:53
Personally I find if someone running a business is objectionable there is always somewhere else to go and spend my hard earned cash. Before I moved up here I had many customers who used to come back to me because I always tried to be as open honest and friendly as possible, its always paid dividends to me and I tend to use companies that act similarly. I use many local tradesmen not because they are the cheapest but because they are friendly reliable and honest.

cat
02-Feb-14, 15:00
very important. 3 bad examples are , went into a shop recently,was 5 or 6 members of staff all eating toast and in no hurry to serve. another shop I went into member of staff was drinking tea, she did leave it to serve me but complained that it was her 3rd wasted cup! lastly another shop,very quiet and I was dragging conversation out of her. plenty good examples though, a smile costs nothing. also, my manager told me to smile on the phone, and its true, you can tell.( the folk at hmrc never smile on phone)haha

Big Gaz
02-Feb-14, 15:05
How important are personalities in business?

In recent threads it would seem to show they are very important - any examples of not doing business with a company due to a personality?

Or going specifically to the business because of an individual personality - owner or employee???

I suppose you could say "word of mouth"?
All businesses know that good recommendations from previous customers are priceless but just one bad recommendation can cause a lot of lost business.

A lot of the websites such as tripadvisor, netmums, travelrepublick etc etc have both good and bad comments but it's still up to the individual owner of the reviewed premises to act on those comments. By doing nothing he is just killing his business but by acting on bad reviews and responding to them proactively, then that bad review will become a good one when the next customer leaves a good review and identifies the bad points as being remedied.

I personally will not use a few businesses round here due to their trading practices. I value customer satisfaction and (as i had to recently) when i went to buy something and casually mentioned that there was a problem with my last purchase and got laughed at by an employee, i waited until the item was ready and said i changed my mind and walked out. That business hasnt seen me since! I used it 2-3 times a week but i will not use it in future. Also overcharging and profiteering seems to be the worst ones i've encountered and it's driven me to the internet to buy the same product for up to half the price (including P&P) that it's on sale for up here. If i really, REALLY need something then i will grudgingly buy it at the inflated price but generally the internet wins. Some stuff i go to Thurso for and even taking my time and fuel into account, it's STILL cheaper than buying it in Wick. Only reason for that price is greed, nothing else!

cazmanian_minx
02-Feb-14, 15:11
There's one place in Thurso I'm loathe to use because the person running it doesn't seem to want to be there at all. On the rare occasions I do have to get something from there, they've always been grumbling about other customers to their assistant. As a sole trader I'm very aware that, to all intents and purposes, I am my business and how I conduct myself (in real life and online) will affect how people feel about my business.

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
02-Feb-14, 15:55
Some stuff i go to Thurso for and even taking my time and fuel into account, it's STILL cheaper than buying it in Wick. Only reason for that price is greed, nothing else!

That's interesting - sometimes people call me up on the price of products we have - occasionally it's significantly cheaper from another supplier BUT often that's not greed its because we don't have a direct account with supplier and have to go through a 3rd party (wholesaler or other) to get it in.... Or we cannot buy it in the same bulk quantities as r competitors so economies of scale come in to play..... Be interested to hear what particular product type as an example....

jax
02-Feb-14, 16:14
I think the personality is very important after all its the face that fronts the business. If staff have the can't be bothered attitude it encourages me to shop on line or at another shop locally. I find it quite annoying when you have to wait for staff to Finnish what they are doing on their phone or computer without even acknowledging you as a customer. A simple smile or nod can make all the difference.

cazmanian_minx
02-Feb-14, 16:19
That's interesting - sometimes people call me up on the price of products we have - occasionally it's significantly cheaper from another supplier BUT often that's not greed its because we don't have a direct account with supplier and have to go through a 3rd party (wholesaler or other) to get it in.... Or we cannot buy it in the same bulk quantities as r competitors so economies of scale come in to play..... Be interested to hear what particular product type as an example....

Well, to give you an inverse example, the supplement you kindly order in for my pony is 5% cheaper from you than anywhere I can find it online - and the lowest priced online supplier charges about a fiver for delivery on top.

Big Gaz
02-Feb-14, 16:29

I know exactly what you mean KOT and i allow for that but the particular item i get from Thurso is supplied to both the independent retailers in Wick & Thurso from the same supplier in Inverness. I know this for fact as whenever i'm in Inverness, i buy it there and a while back when i said i was from Wick they told me they supply both shops (amongst others in the highlands) and i commented on the prices. Even the guy there said Wick was taking the P! They said that any difference in purchase price between the two shops would be a maximum of 50p on each item if not bought by the case (6). I buy these usually 4-6 at a time, so when it is £4.40 for one in Thurso and £10.99 for the same in Wick and a similar item i buy in 1 or 2's not so regularly is £8.50 in Thurso and a whopping £18 in Wick you can see why i go to Thurso and made the statement above. If you want exact details, just drop me a line and i'll let you know which product. It's nothing to do with what you sell though but you would have a regular customer if you did start!

RagnarRocks
02-Feb-14, 16:30
I'd be interested to know if you supply chicken and duck food sorry not sure which business you are pm if you do

Thumper
02-Feb-14, 17:27
I hate when I go into a shop and I am ignored,talked down to or just disrespected! And Caithness gas quite a few shoos that this goes on in! Staff who simply bark out the cost and shove their hand out,one shop feels the need to whisper the cost if any item I want to buy as if to say well you look like you can't afford that,another shop asked me to leave and return at 2 as they were going to lunch ( I had lost track of time tbf) the list is endless! Hardly a shopping trip goes by that there hasn't one or more of these traits shown in shops :( x

DIM1
03-Feb-14, 13:57
A few things that I find annoying while being served.
1 Staff chatting away to each other and not paying attention while I am being served.
2 Not being acknowledged by staff. It doesn't hurt to say hello even if staff are busy.
3 General politeness and courtesy seems to be a thing of the past. Wat yu wantin seems to be the norm nowadays.

donnick
03-Feb-14, 14:09
I think its very important how your treated in a shop/ business , I for one will not give someone my business if they were rude or didn't try to be helpful when I am giving them my business . It could make or break a shop/ business I think .Customer service is one of the most important things when owning a business and I usually make my own mind up about a persons personality I usually am a good judge of character if your a ass you don't get my money. I feel you get better service from a independent retailer or business than a chain, I do think they care more about there customer and would look to employ people who have a passion for there place where they are employed .. also need to say that how they conduct themselves is very important .....shocked recently I have to say !!

Big Gaz
03-Feb-14, 14:33
Going on Donnick's post, there's also the other extreme of a shop assistant. Hovering over you whilst you shop, trying to be too helpful etc. A casual nod with an "hello" or similar greet is fine for me but i hate walking into a shop and you are no sooner in the door and the pounce happens. "can i help you", "what is it you are looking for today" etc etc and all before i close the door. Not the first time i've told one where to go and to leave me alone and not the first time i have just about turned and walked out.
When i was in business, it was always "Hello" when a customer entered and if the customer went straight into browse mode, a few seconds later "if you need a hand with anything, just let me know" and then back to my business. I never hassled a customer and i always treated them the way i would expect to be treated myself. Politeness and courtesy costs nothing :D

donnick
03-Feb-14, 15:00
Big Gaz are you my husband in disguise as that's what he does when he walks in shop he hates over baring shop assistances just walks out and I am left doing a shop hunt looking for him but its makes you think are they getting the proper training ?............. but you can not train personality .

cherokee
03-Feb-14, 15:42
I have posted on here before about "Dreadful Service" from a local jewelers. Not only had they basically ruined my bracelet, but, the sheer fact that the owner wouldn't even discuss the issue with me face-to-face; preferring to "hide behind" his assistant !!

On the other hand, I have had excellent service from another local business, which again I have posted on this forum, a really helpful furniture/removal company.

The two are polar-extremes !! I definitely would go back to (and also promote; whenever possible) the latter, whereas the former, well I will never be back to such rough, shoddy and completely indifferent service by the owner.

Agree with others on here, a smile, being courteous and generally pleasant without being "invasive" to your customer/s speaks volumes !! Also when "your customer" may have a problem/disagreement about their dealings with "you"; should it not be in your best interests to resolve same to the best of your abilities?

"Word of mouth" can reach very far in such a relatively small community.......(Food For Thought!)