PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Youth Club

Spirit
29-Jan-14, 17:38
I've recently heard that Thurso Youth Club is due to close in June. Staff have apparently been given notice.

Has anyone heard or seen anything about it? My daughter goes every week and loves it. It seems very popular so WHY is the Highland Council doing this and why haven't parents been advised?

I think the staff at Thurso Youth Club do a great job with the kids. What are these kids going to do now as it was a great place for them to meet up with school friends as well as kids from other schools.

sweetpea
29-Jan-14, 20:40
I don't think the youth club is council run. It either went to High Life Highland or they set up on their own after coming away from the council.

crayola
29-Jan-14, 20:55
We can't stand by and let the powers that be close the youth club. We would lose part of our town's history and part of our culture if that happened. The youth club is where I learned about sex, drink and rock n roll at the age of 12. Although not in that order. ;) It's where the bully boys walked about boasting that they were the hardest man in Caithness. Though I never saw one of these hard men go one to one on anyone! They bullied quiet wee boys when backed up by at least three or four fellow bullies. It's a great place, really. If it's knocked down who will pick up all the lost virginities around the back in the long grass? They should be preserved for ever in display cases at Caithness Horizons. :p

hopper.65
31-Jan-14, 14:33
I like most other youngsters of yesteryear spent some great times at Thurso youth club, i was under the impression that it wasn't used nearly as much by the kids these days, who seem to be only to happy to board themselves inside houses playing X box and gawking at Facebook all day, if it is closing due to poor attendance then it is a sign of the times unfortunately on how young people choose to spend their free time.
If it is closing and many youngsters still use it regularly then yes start a campaign to keep it going, if enough people show they are not happy about something being axed those who rely on us for a vote every now and again start to get a bit concerned it may harm their vote count in the future and that is when they all of a sudden seem to care.

crayola
09-Feb-14, 15:08
After all that is Thurso Youth Club closing down or is it not? If it is how will the council deal with all the discarded 'experiences' and 'memories' in the long grass around the back? I'm told I'm not allowed to mention discarded virginities on the Org.