PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Idea

Kevin Milkins
29-Jan-14, 06:36
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tcw7

On the one show last night they covered an interesting story regarding recycling and in particular "fixing party's" . If you have a broken toaster or hoover, etc. you can take it along to a prearranged party where expert advice and tools are at hand to help you diagnose and fix them, (or bin them if they are defiantly broke).

Many very serviceable items are thrown away because having them repaired is not economical and yet much of the items we discard are not recyclable so I can see this type of initiative catching on.

mi16
29-Jan-14, 07:30
Could be confusing if it's a vehicle repair eveningEveryone throws their keys in the bowl then you don't know if it's an oil change or an orgy

Big Gaz
29-Jan-14, 10:49
It is a great idea indeed......until someone gets electrocuted from a dodgy repair.
The bit i was laughing at was the young lad who had been "tinkering" with electrical items since he was a child. I presume they were but saw no clear statement that any of the repairers or volunteers were qualified repair technicians nor was there any sign whatsoever of a PAT tester either.
I admit it's a damn good way to go instead of just binning stuff and having been involved in the demolition and waste transport business for a few years previously and having first hand experience of the way HC operate Seater tip, i was pretty amazed at the stuff that just gets chucked up here so last year a tech friend and myself looked into opening up a WEEE unit here in Wick. The plan was to accept all electrical waste, grading unwanted but working items for re-use, repairing faulty units where possible and dismantling unrepairable stuff for proper selective recycling. SEPA in Thurso were most enthusiastic about this and offered all the help i needed....BUT...Highland Council were totally the opposite and refused to issue any licenses quoting legal jargon, environmental issues and other dire consequences without even giving me any consideration. Totally brushed off!
Probably scared that it was going to shame them on their record of WEEE recycling in Caithness and put a dent in the income that they receive from such waste.

Mrs Bradey
29-Jan-14, 11:02
that's just typical of the HC big gaz, I saw the one show too and thought it a good idea. but I share concerns that technicians must be qualified, and issue PAT certificates! maybe it could use one of the popup shops?

mi16
29-Jan-14, 11:22
qualified guys with PAT testers do not tend to work for gratis

Kevin Milkins
30-Jan-14, 00:49
The bit that I gleaned out of the programme is that you where assisted to perform your own repair to your own property, so would you need PAT testing?

jax
30-Jan-14, 12:18
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tcw7On the one show last night they covered an interesting story regarding recycling and in particular "fixing party's" . If you have a broken toaster or hoover, etc. you can take it along to a prearranged party where expert advice and tools are at hand to help you diagnose and fix them, (or bin them if they are defiantly broke).Many very serviceable items are thrown away because having them repaired is not economical and yet much of the items we discard are not recyclable so I can see this type of initiative catching on.I seen this on the One Show & initially thought what an excellent idea, I like to fix things & hate throwing anything away, but when I cant fix something I take it to someone who knows how to fix. I wouldn't expect this service for free! Also I don't think electrical items should be fixed by novices?

Big Gaz
30-Jan-14, 12:26
The bit that I gleaned out of the programme is that you where assisted to perform your own repair to your own property, so would you need PAT testing?

I had a look again on catchup and yeah, it does seem to be the case. Maybe this is the legal getout? and by "assisting" the owner to repair, it could be said that the owner did the repair and was simply shown what to do by the "techie".
The idea is sound though and a good one which will no doubt save a truck load or two of useable items from getting dumped but i feel the important points i mentioned were missed out on the show. Wonder if they were edited out or possibly never even mentioned.

jax
30-Jan-14, 12:42
Think you right Big Gaz, if they were assisted by the owner then it didn't need pat testing.

Mrs Bradey
30-Jan-14, 13:07
I had a look again on catchup and yeah, it does seem to be the case. Maybe this is the legal getout? and by "assisting" the owner to repair, it could be said that the owner did the repair and was simply shown what to do by the "techie". The idea is sound though and a good one which will no doubt save a truck load or two of useable items from getting dumped but i feel the important points i mentioned were missed out on the show. Wonder if they were edited out or possibly never even mentioned.it could be said. but in a court room, after an electricution or house fire. the prosecution might say that , even though the item was repaired by its owner , guidance was given. if it could be proven the advice given caused catastrophic failure, then would be a case against the volunteer techie. they would be able to make a claim of negligence through public liability insurance I would think. if they had cover.

jax
30-Jan-14, 13:10
Ah yes red tape, we all hate it but it is there to protect folks

Kevin Milkins
30-Jan-14, 14:49
I sometimes wonder how we get out of bed in the morning and go to work without either killing someone or ourselves.

jax
30-Jan-14, 16:35
Ooh definitely too risky to get outa bed, just image the red tape

George Brims
30-Jan-14, 19:48
I sometimes wonder how we get out of bed in the morning and go to work without either killing someone or ourselves.
I see people on the LA freeways every weekday morning trying their damnedest to kill either themselves, someone else, or more alarmingly, me.

Big Gaz
30-Jan-14, 20:54

You on a sales drive for knives again Kevin? lighten up and enjoy, you know it's all tongue in cheek and just harmless fun :Razz

Kevin Milkins
30-Jan-14, 21:47
Anyone that knows me will know I don't do serious. The point I was unsuccessfully trying to make was that a new, original and exciting initiative had hit the streets that could be developed into something that would help us from discarding millions of tons of non biodegradable into the earth by using a bit of common sense.
If you where to look at the recycling centre it is obvious that many perfectly serviceable items are being discarded for the want of something as simple as a fuse. Would we be silly to assume that some people don't know what a fuse is for or how to change one?
I have no doubt that restrictions and regulations would have to be in place for litigators amongst us, but the idea of going back to a more "make do and mend" type of society as opposed to a "throw away" one appeals to me.

Big Gaz
30-Jan-14, 22:02
I totally agree Kevin, too much stuff is indeed wasted and a lot for the sake of a fuse or loose wire as you say. That in itself isn't a real problem and can be fixed without any serious knowledge or experience but when you take into account that manufacturers want the items to fail after a year and outwith the guarantee so you buy new then you have to wonder about the quality of said items in the first place. If manufacturers built stuff to last forever, they wouldn't be long in business!
It's also not the first time i've bought or acquired a faulty item and bought a 2nd faulty one just to make a good one out of the two. LCD TV's, games consoles and phones are the main ones i work with myself and it's a little pocket money after you repair your own as there's always someone wanting to buy the scrap that's left over.

*Martin*
31-Jan-14, 00:10
I think it's a great idea. Hardware hacking (fixing broken things or robbing them of parts to fix or make other stuff) is huge over in the states and growing over here.

It's a shame there's nothing like that here (mainly because I've got a TV in bits trying to figure out what's broken haha)

Even Chance
31-Jan-14, 10:25
Great idea.
Bring back e true Caithness mentality of "make-do and mend"
Its been lek at for hunners o years here anyway!

I love sortin owld stuff. We dont hurl things oot in ma hoose, we just sort them!
In fact, Im always greatful of gifts of broken tech and stuff I can sort fae my friends and family, and they ken it!