PDA

View Full Version : Are we mental?

billythefish
28-Jan-14, 02:37
Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving up to the Caithness area to be closer to her parents. I dont have too much of problem with this apart from the fact that from what i can see there does not seem to many jobs around the area. My wife is a teacher so hopefully should be able to pick something up. I am a bit more worried, is the job situation as bleak as it looks while searching over the internet?

mi16
28-Jan-14, 08:25
Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving up to the Caithness area to be closer to her parents. I dont have too much of problem with this apart from the fact that from what i can see there does not seem to many jobs around the area. My wife is a teacher so hopefully should be able to pick something up. I am a bit more worried, is the job situation as bleak as it looks while searching over the internet?What do you do for a living mate?Welcome by the way

Kodiak
28-Jan-14, 14:03
Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving up to the Caithness area to be closer to her parents. I dont have too much of problem with this apart from the fact that from what i can see there does not seem to many jobs around the area. My wife is a teacher so hopefully should be able to pick something up. I am a bit more worried, is the job situation as bleak as it looks while searching over the internet?

http://i.imgur.com/ngcQI6e.jpg

Southern-Gal
28-Jan-14, 18:49
We did it :D

billythefish
29-Jan-14, 00:04
Hi,

I have an MSc in Environmental Science and have been awaste consultant, a council Environmental Health Officer and currently workingfor a water company as a controller shuffling water around the company’s entiresystem. so basically all office jobs. from looking there seem to be a fair fewengineering type jobs or working in shops. Maybe its time i just retrained in somethingelse.

regards

Bill

mi16
29-Jan-14, 00:30
Scottish Water may be a good starting point
Perhaps Dounreay in their steam and water department

Stark
29-Jan-14, 11:59
I did it back in 1999 , left a job here to move to Caithness, had a job within two weeks.

I think if you're skilled, or have a trade, you should be ok.

Pouleriscaig
29-Jan-14, 18:31
Nice part of the country and the people are great!
Hope you find it as pleasurable as I did.

sweetpea
29-Jan-14, 20:28
Hi,

I have an MSc in Environmental Science and have been awaste consultant, a council Environmental Health Officer and currently workingfor a water company as a controller shuffling water around the company’s entiresystem. so basically all office jobs. from looking there seem to be a fair fewengineering type jobs or working in shops. Maybe its time i just retrained in somethingelse.

regards

Bill

There's also the Environmental Research Institute based in Thurso too.

Mrs Bradey
29-Jan-14, 20:31
Hi, my wife and I are thinking of moving up to the Caithness area to be closer to her parents. I dont have too much of problem with this apart from the fact that from what i can see there does not seem to many jobs around the area. My wife is a teacher so hopefully should be able to pick something up. I am a bit more worried, is the job situation as bleak as it looks while searching over the internet?probably completely barking!! but after moving to caithness that will recede into normal sanity! welcome aboard the good ship that is caithness .org .......enjoy!

jax
30-Jan-14, 12:28
Thing are what you make them, I'd move, its a new experience & if you don't like it you could always try somewhere different. Life would be boring if you didn't mix it up once in a while. Best of luck what ever you decide & welcome

Kevin Milkins
30-Jan-14, 14:55
There are far worse places to live than Caithness, (I have lived in a few of them) and if you are serious about finding work you should have no bother with your work experience, unless you are looking for silly wages.

It does take a little time to adjust and for the locals to accept you on there terms, but I think of it as home now.

poppett
30-Jan-14, 22:21
Welcome, and in the words of the song "There is no finer county than Caithness."

I lived in Thurso from age 5 to 18 then worked my way south as far as Edinburgh. We returned to care for my parents after my husband was hurt in an accident and have never regretted it.

The timeline takes a bit of getting used to.....Yes the plumber can come on Tuesday, but which Tuesday? But you will soon get the hang of it. The locals mostly drive in the middle of the road unless there is something coming, then they move a bit to the left, and nobody parks their cars on Princes street, they just abandon them!

Enjoy the Org, and hopefully your new Highland life.