PDA

View Full Version : Sunny Jim, Zip, or Waxlings?

susie
26-Jan-14, 18:21
I will be very pleased to hear what sort of firelighters you use and if you think Zip are useless these days. Also, is newspaper different now? I have a devil of a job getting it going. I have tried everything and I am coming to the conclusion that it must be me that's at fault, maybe I've just lit too many fires and Rayburn's and I'm turning into a burnt out shell of my former pyroself! That's it.........crumple, crumple, chop, chop, click, click, etc

sids
26-Jan-14, 18:29
A rag soaked in old engine oil.

susie
26-Jan-14, 18:33
Don't know if I dare sids, I will put it on my list of 'things-to-try'. Thank you.

Wizzbang
26-Jan-14, 18:40
I use discarded tissues to start the zip then the kindling. Not sure about newsprint these days maybe coated with something anti inflammable?

susie
26-Jan-14, 18:50
Thanks Wizzbang, I will try tissues, always some on the go. These days I feel like it will take a whole box of Bluebells to light the firelighters. One time, I got the kindling going with the matches and then the zip gave in and lit. They want to change the name from Zip to Patience. Infuriating, especially when it's breezy.

smithp
26-Jan-14, 18:58
Never use a firelighter. Cardboard, newspaper on top, dried out fine fir branch bundle then kindling.

sids
26-Jan-14, 19:05
Don't know if I dare sids, I will put it on my list of 'things-to-try'. Thank you.

Just don't get it on the carpet.

Ballymore
26-Jan-14, 20:15
Take tumble-drier fluff and stuff it in a toilet roll, wrap some kindling/wood shavings in a sheet of newspaper on top, light with a match on both sides of roll and then when you've got a nice flame put your peat (that's what we use) on top.
Egg cartons are good too and torn up cardboard.

orkneycadian
26-Jan-14, 21:07
Waste of money with firelighters - Newspaper, kindling, wood, peat (or coal if you wish). Goes everytime, without needing to buy anything. Make sure you use proper newsprint paper and not the coated paper thats used in magazines and other junk mail. Keep the grate clear and by the laws of physics (and chemistry....) it will go!

Alrock
26-Jan-14, 21:43
Waste of money with firelighters - Newspaper, kindling, wood, peat (or coal if you wish). Goes everytime, without needing to buy anything. Make sure you use proper newsprint paper and not the coated paper thats used in magazines and other junk mail. Keep the grate clear and by the laws of physics (and chemistry....) it will go!

Yep... Screwed up newspaper & a bit of kindling is all that is required.

Big Gaz
27-Jan-14, 01:26
I have no problem whatsoever starting up my fire....i push a button and the boiler does the rest!

susie
27-Jan-14, 03:51
Thanks to you all. I always run out of newspaper as we only take the Groat and the Courier , hence the need for other means of lighting. Don't have any fluff but I bet it goes really well.
What's your favourite wood? We have a bit of ash which is splendidly hot and cheerful, my overall favourite is whin though - never spits, pretty flames and as free as fresh air.