PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Youth Parliament- Elections

rfr10
21-Feb-07, 17:14
If you are interested in standing for election for the Scottish Youth Parliament, constituency of Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross please contact:

The Highlife-Young Scot (Highland Youth Voice) Office on 01463 702067 for an information pack or send a letter to:

Highland Youth Voice, Highland Council, Glenurquhart Road, Inverness, IV3 5NX

You can also fax 01463 711177

or email: hyv@highland.gov.uk (hyv@highland.gov.uk)

When getting in contact, please ask for an information pack. Also, make sure you ask for your message to be forwarded to Mike Jones - The Senior Youth Development Worker (Engagement) for the Highland Council.

There are two seats in each constituency.

The timetable for the process is as follows-
Marketing and promotion – 19th February – 9th March
Deadline for candidate nominations and manifesto – 9th March
On line voting – 26th – 30th March

You can also contact Scottish Youth Parliament direct by checking out their website.

The Scottish Youth Parliament usually have 4 weekend meetings per year and it will be a great experience!

rfr10
22-Feb-07, 19:02
I have now been sent nomination forms, if you wish to receive one PLUS a MSYP job description, please get in contact with me ASAP or leave a reply on this thread and I'll get in contact soon.

rfr10
28-Feb-07, 19:14
Update:

So far, only 2 people have expressed interest to me in Caithness. Forms have to be completed and returned by the end of next week. If you are aged between 14 and 25, you may stand for election. It's shouldn't be boring like you would probably expect and it will be a great experience and look good on your CV. If you are the parent of a teenager, try to encourage them to stand for election.

If you would like an application form, please just ask me within the next 6 days and return to me before the 7th of March or the Highland Youth Voice office, Highland Council Headquarters, Inverness by the 9th of March.

On the application form, you will be expected to provide: Forename, Surname, Date of Birth, Address, Email address, contact telephone number and email, an answer to the question "Where did you hear about becoming an MSYP, a short personal statement, a passport size photo of yourself and a manifesto.

Along with the nomination form, help is provided for completing manifestos and personal statements. You will also be required to sign a contract to agree with the following:

If you are successful in being elected as a new MSYP for Highland you will be expected to show commitment to your new role and carry out a range of duties, examples are:
Attending relevant local events and finding out what young people in your community would like to see changed or improved in the area.
Maintaining regular contact with your local Youth support worker. (meet every 2-3 months)
Attending meetings locally and nationally. (… per annum)
Providing High Life ~ Young Scot with short news article for the website. (every 3 months)

Travel expenses to national events and other work carried out as part of your role will be reimbursed.

And that's it! Once all nomination forms are returned, your manifesto will be put onto the Young Scot Website for people to vote. To vote, you require your Highlife-Young Scot card number. If you have lost this number or if you do not have one, contact the Youth Voice office in Inverness- Contact details are provided in a previous post.

Note: Even though the form is a nomination form, only you are required to nominate yourself. No other nominee is required

Hope lots of people choose to get involved.

Scottish Youth Parliament elections, promoted on behalf of the Highland Youth Voice Executive committee. For more information on Highland Youth Voice, Highlife Young Scot and Dialogue Youth- visit the Highland Youth Voice Website at www.highlandyouthvoice.org (http://www.highlandyouthvoice.org) Note that a new Highland Youth Voice website will be running later this year.

If you attent Wick High School, information on Highland Youth Voice can be found on the Highland Youth Voice noticeboard in the crush hall. Also, providing information on Highland 2007 and the events.