PDA

View Full Version : LCD v CRT

Liz
21-Feb-07, 14:05
As I watch a lot of TV I thought I would treat myself to a 32" LCD TV to replace my 28" CRT.

However I have searched through the internet and many reviews suggest that CRT gives better picture and sound than LCD. Particulary with fast moving scenes.
Also read this article which was in 'The Guardian':-
http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2016468,00.html

Now I don't know what to do!!!!

Would really appreciate thoughts from those of you with LCDs as to whether they are any better, or indeed worse, than your CRT TV's?

johno
21-Feb-07, 14:50
As I watch a lot of TV I thought I would treat myself to a 32" LCD TV to replace my 28" CRT.

However I have searched through the internet and many reviews suggest that CRT gives better picture and sound than LCD. Particulary with fast moving scenes.

Would really appreciate thoughts from those of you with LCDs as to whether they are any better, or indeed worse, than your CRT TV's?
should,nt you be debating between lcd & plasma. is,nt the crt a tube please correct me if im wrong. Ps im quite often wrong:~(

rs 2k
21-Feb-07, 14:54
Hi Liz

We bought an LCD tv a few months ago and the only difference i find is that u can screw it to your wall so its like a picture :lol:

It is a good idea and the telly is out of the road and no more tv units its great

We had to put a hole in the wall so we could thread the wires through so they aren't dangling and feed the sky cables through to the telly, then covered the hole

But it looks great, well worth the money, i'd say :D

mattymags
21-Feb-07, 15:10
Liz,
The major advantage of an LCD television is that it is smaller, you actually get a flat panel that you can hang on the wall. It is true that CRT televisions have a better picture but you pay for that by the size of the TV. It all depends on your needs and wants.

If you are going to choose a flat panel I would go with LCD over Plasma. BUt picture quality, if you have the room go with a CRT. The CRT tv's are coming down in weight and the price will be cheaper than LCD's. Hope this helps out a little.

Liz
21-Feb-07, 19:19
Thanks everyone!

I am actually going to look at a couple of LCDs to see what they are like.

I think it is probably like all TVs in that there will be good and bad so hopefully will get an LCD which is as good as my CRT.

It would be so great to get something so small as I think I will get a hernia if I have to pull out my TV cabinet again with the huge CRT on it!!!!:lol:

EDDIE
21-Feb-07, 19:35

I think a lot of times with the amount of different types of lcd its very confusing i think its best just to find an lcd you like the look of and buy it what ever u buy it will be out of date 6 months later thats just the way things are. Woolworths are selling lcd 32 for abot £400 thats cheap.But for me i think the samsung range in lcd gives the best value for money when you compare the spec of the lcd for your money

Bobbyian
21-Feb-07, 19:37
I agree a CRT still gives the Best Picture performance but the LCD,etc have lightness and betterplacing and betterr consumption but also look out for the start of laser Tvs they are going to put LCD and Plasma to shame if they come ontarget for this coming christmas according to reports. I have decided to wait a little as I stall have the room But best of luck on your seach get the to show racing cars and look slightly from the side you will be amazed what you don`t see in some cases.

scotsboy
21-Feb-07, 19:53
I was talking to someone about this very subject earlier today, and they told me (not sure if its correct) that the life of a Plasma TV is only about 5 years - anyone confirm this??

midi2304
21-Feb-07, 20:18
I had quite a big budget to spend on a TV and for me it was no decision. As I write this I am watching this on my 47" Toshiba LCD TV. And I made sure it was 1080i HD.

Liz, whatever you do, make sure that the TV you buy is HD Ready or you are throwing your money away.

Geo
21-Feb-07, 21:29
I was talking to someone about this very subject earlier today, and they told me (not sure if its correct) that the life of a Plasma TV is only about 5 years - anyone confirm this??

I had read similar but it seems to be an urban myth or at least the technology has moved on and the life expectancy is similar to that of LCD.

This is taken from www.panasonic.co.uk

PLASMA and LCD - the FACTS

When it comes to finding out more about plasma and LCD, there are a number of myths out there that can be confusing. Here, Panasonic responds to some misconceptions and offers new information.

* How do I choose between Plasma and LCD?

Size matters when it comes to making a choice. LCD is at its optimum performance up to and including 32", whilst plasma offers optimum performance at 37" and above. Panasonic Viera Plasma TV is currently the UK's Nr1 best-selling large screen TV. (see our chart below to help you make a choice).

* Which is more energy efficient, Plasma or LCD?

The energy consumption of both is actually about the same in normal operating conditions. An LCD screen consumption is constant whereas with Plasma it fluctuates according to the brightness of a scene, eg when a scene is predominantly dark , a Plasma will use less energy. All in all the energy efficiency evens out for Plasma and LCD.

* A popular Plasma myths dispelled

Does Flat Panel TV need re-gasing? No. Plasma gases are inert and sealed within tiny cells that are sandwiched between glass plates. There is never any need to re-charge or refill the Plasma.

* Which technology has the longer life span Plasma or LCD?

The life span for both is dependent on viewing habits, but if both are watched for the same duration, one would expect the life span to be approximately the same, 60 000 hours, roughly twice the life span of older CRT technology.

In Summary : don't believe all that you hear

midi2304
21-Feb-07, 21:36
lol - did you lift that wholesale from the Panasonic website? There are a lot of myths out there and some of the points you make are correct. What it comes down to is this - plasma is 5 or 6 year old technology. I had over £1500 to spend on my TV and there was absolutely no way I would spend that on a plasma. LCDs are the way forward and as an aside, my TV is 1080 HD, not the usual 720. I couldn't get a plasma at 1080 and I did look.

EDDIE
21-Feb-07, 22:56
lol - did you lift that wholesale from the Panasonic website? There are a lot of myths out there and some of the points you make are correct. What it comes down to is this - plasma is 5 or 6 year old technology. I had over £1500 to spend on my TV and there was absolutely no way I would spend that on a plasma. LCDs are the way forward and as an aside, my TV is 1080 HD, not the usual 720. I couldn't get a plasma at 1080 and I did look.

I think spending £1500 on a tv is waste of money and im sorry but its a pointless exercise spending all that hard earned cash to get the latest technolgy that 6 months later is out of date and is probably in asda or tescos for a fraction of the price.

midi2304
21-Feb-07, 23:00
I think spending £1500 on a tv is waste of money and im sorry but its a pointless exercise spending all that hard earned cash to get the latest technolgy that 6 months later is out of date and is probably in asda or tescos for a fraction of the price.

If you can buy a 47" 1080 HD TV from Asda or Tescos for £1500 in 6 months Eddie, I'll give you the money to go and buy it from my own pocket. If technology is moving so quickly why are we discussing LCD vs CRT - a technology which is over 40 years old?

Liz
22-Feb-07, 00:37
I agree a CRT still gives the Best Picture performance but the LCD,etc have lightness and betterplacing and betterr consumption but also look out for the start of laser Tvs they are going to put LCD and Plasma to shame if they come ontarget for this coming christmas according to reports. I have decided to wait a little as I stall have the room But best of luck on your seach get the to show racing cars and look slightly from the side you will be amazed what you don`t see in some cases.

Excuse my ignorance but by laser TV do you mean OLED?

I had read about this and it looks really good and will apparently be cheaper than LCD.
However, as far as I am aware they will be making the first of these in about 40" screens which is far too big for the size of my room.

Not easy to know whether to wait or not.
The thing is with technology moving so fast there will always be something new so possibly instead of chasing every new trend we should get something we like and be happy with what we have?

sharon
22-Feb-07, 12:25
you could of got a 50" HD plasma for less than £1500 in the januray sales, I did!!

If you can buy a 47" 1080 HD TV from Asda or Tescos for £1500 in 6 months Eddie, I'll give you the money to go and buy it from my own pocket. If technology is moving so quickly why are we discussing LCD vs CRT - a technology which is over 40 years old?