PDA

View Full Version : What would happen if all the ice melts interactive map

RagnarRocks
21-Jan-14, 18:03
Thought some of you might find this interesting
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

Mrs Bradey
21-Jan-14, 18:42
Thought some of you might find this interestinghttp://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-mapthat's a lot cubic metres of ice! ...A lot of G & T's !

orkneycadian
21-Jan-14, 21:07
The surface of this planet has been constantly changing for the last 4.8 billion years or so. A change such as this would be miniscule in the big picture, and nothing more than a tiny tiny part of the earths total history.

RagnarRocks
21-Jan-14, 21:11
Very true orkneycadian especially when you consider we used to be connected to the mainland by good ole doggerland hence all those woolly mammoth tusk etc that get dregged up

orkneycadian
21-Jan-14, 21:16
Apart from that, all the land and buildings here would be underwater - But unlikely to be in my lifetime! ;)

RagnarRocks
21-Jan-14, 22:35
Apart from that, all the land and buildings here would be underwater - But unlikely to be in my lifetime! ;)
Give us a fiver or I'm off to the North Pole with a flame thrower :0))

Angel
21-Jan-14, 22:55
What percentage of ice is on land and what is in/on the sea?...Angel

orkneycadian
21-Jan-14, 23:00

Nah - Betcha you run out of petrol before it even gets half way up my boots!

Big Gaz
21-Jan-14, 23:12

I'll give you a tenner to go! :cool:

Big Gaz
21-Jan-14, 23:18
What percentage of ice is on land and what is in/on the sea?...Angel

Hazard a guess at around 80% of ice is on land, 19% is in the sea and the remaining 1% is here on the Org judging by some of the frosty comments that have been bandied about lately [para]

Moira
21-Jan-14, 23:42
Perhaps the Shetland Isles would bump into Orkney and the whole lot would impact themselves onto the top of Scotland. It would sort out the Postcode questions, perhaps, and could even improve the travel infrastructure. Perhaps. ;)

RagnarRocks
22-Jan-14, 00:07
I'll give you a tenner to go! :cool:Make it fifteen and I can roll out the napalm :0))

almo
22-Jan-14, 00:59
Having looked at the after map, I don't see anything I'd miss underwater.

Big Gaz
22-Jan-14, 01:45
Perhaps the Shetland Isles would bump into Orkney and the whole lot would impact themselves onto the top of Scotland. It would sort out the Postcode questions, perhaps, and could even improve the travel infrastructure. Perhaps. ;)

Nah, i'd prefer it if Scotland got broken off the rest of the UK due to the impact of the huge waves on its coasts and got washed south towards the equator and warmer climes, passing the Thames estuary on the way down and creating such a huge wash that Westminster would end up suffering just a tad more than damp in it's roof trusses

billmoseley
22-Jan-14, 13:48
Nice to see a thread with some humor in it. relations must be thawing on the org