PDA

View Full Version : Thurso - Pennyland Area - What are your Energy/Heating Costs?

SunnyChick
21-Jan-14, 17:18
Hey folks,

I'm looking to hear back from those of you living in similar houses to mine. (I'm thinking I need to upgrade my heating - currently storage heaters.)

I'm in a 3-bed semi in the Pennyland area, currently spending £150/month in electricity. I do not think I am frivolous with my electricity usage, but I do use my tumble drier about 3 times a week! Anyway, in the long term I think I need to consider changing these storage and convector heaters to something more economical.

I think there may be interest free loans out there to apply for, but before I go down that road ultimately I want to know how much the different types of heating actually cost to run every month before I dedide on; solar panels, town gas, air source heating or whatever else there is out there - I'm bamboozled!

I've already had the loft insulated and it hasn't made a shred of difference to my bills! :confused

So, if any of you guys in similar type of housing can give me an idea of the heating you have and the running costs involved, then I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers

baileys Bhoy
21-Jan-14, 17:35
Well we are in a 3 bed semi in pennyland m we have our tumble dryer on not far off 12 hours a day, with 2 young kiddies in the house, we have gas heating and electric for everything else, we are putting about £20 in each a week just now (we have card meters) in summer we put about £10 in gas and £15 in electric, although I will tell you of my previous home, we had storage heaters in a 1 bedroom and regardless of the time of year we were putting back around £80 week ish!! We only had 1 baby then and 2 adults + no dryer! I think you need to look into what we have!

SunnyChick
22-Jan-14, 12:05
Thanks for that. At £35/week in summer for gas/electric combo, it sounds like you are paying the same as me per month so I'd not be at any advantage to change to gas then. The search continues lol ...

MrA
22-Jan-14, 23:13
Your average size storage heater uses around 1 - 1.5 Killowatts of power each hour. Say you have 6 storage heaters on for the 7 hours during offpeak energy (economy7).
1.2 (medium heater) * 6 * 7 = 50.4 Kw/h

Looking at the price per Kw/h at the minute of around 10p that means your paying 504p (£5.40) a night or around £151.20 per month. Going by that you look like you are paying roughtly the rite amount.....shocking isn't it!

I highly recommmend looking into the Cashback Scheme running at the minute. Speak to RDI renewables and check out www.rdirenewables.co.uk (http://www.rdirenewables.co.uk) they are one of the local installers in Thurso registered for the scheme. This is what I did and they carried out my work and I recieved a check in the post for £600 towards the boiler at the end of it all. It doesn't just stop at the boiler though, you could get money for draught proofing, more insulation and energy efficient lighting. Worth having a look. Im assuming you're not recieving tax credits, with no children etc. If you are recieving tax credits or anything like that then is different grants available to help. Check out www.gov.uk/energy-grants-calculator (http://www.gov.uk/energy-grants-calculator)

It is all a bit confusing but if you speak to someone from RDI renewables or Home Energy Scotland 0808 808 2282 they will at the very least point you in the rite direction.

Im no expert but have been in a similar position, hopefully this helps you.