PDA

View Full Version : Future Caithness

rogermellie
09-Jan-14, 01:49
Can someone please convince me that Caithness won't become the worlds biggest retirement home witin the next 15 years ?

(out of all the regular Org posters, how many of you have kids still living up here ?)

Aaldtimer
09-Jan-14, 03:49
Me, and grandkids.

rich62_uk
09-Jan-14, 05:39
I hope the children of Caithness do leave, its a very big world out there and well worth venturing into ! They can always come back to raise their children :).

RagnarRocks
09-Jan-14, 08:14
Oh I think you'll find that the whole of the UK has an ageing population its not just up here. If you want proper retirement places try looking at the south coast Christchurch in Dorset makes up here look positively youthful

mackay5255
09-Jan-14, 09:42
By 2030 Rachel Skene's economy changing business idea will have transformed Caithness into a global internet trading hub with a bigger GDP than Amazon's turnover, and the entire population of the county will be packing YouLoveLocal shipments.

ducati
09-Jan-14, 09:45
Can someone please convince me that Caithness won't become the worlds biggest retirement home witin the next 15 years ?

(out of all the regular Org posters, how many of you have kids still living up here ?)

I've said it before, that is exactly what is happening. I don't see the problem. The silver pound is very welcome I'm sure in all the local business's. (If you don't like to care for the elderly, you can always sell them tatties).

ducati
11-Jan-14, 11:38
Florida seems to do very well out of it?

dragonfly
11-Jan-14, 13:11
one still in Caithness, one in Aberdeen, who will probably never return to live in Caithness and I don't blame her one bit, far more opportunities in her field of work down south than up here. If I/we could afford to move further south we would do it too, far more scope for my line of work and as husband works offshore it would be less travelling for him too. Caithness is great to raise children but I feel I need to venture further afield than just being 7 doors down from where I lived in my childhood!

mi16
11-Jan-14, 13:12
However Florida is a desirable place to be whereas Caithness is not.

M R
11-Jan-14, 18:54
Can someone please convince me that Caithness won't become the worlds biggest retirement home within the next 15 years ?

No, were doomed.. Muahhhhaaaaa

ducati
11-Jan-14, 19:30
However Florida is a desirable place to be

No it's not. It's full of old people! :mad:

RagnarRocks
11-Jan-14, 20:51
But Ducati they don't offer happy endings at the end of the golf course in Florida :0))

gleeber
11-Jan-14, 21:21
Young people always left Caithness and always will. Some will come back but those who don't will still think of Caithness as their first home. I suppose it will be the same for someone from Nottingham or New York.
There's a lot of older people around Caithness and most of them are local. They came up here in the mid 50s and early 60s with young families and worked at Dounreay and were instrumental in spreading modern technology to the 4 corners of the world. It's something to be proud of if you ask me. Caithness should be proud of it's heritage. Mind you I'm still not convinced about Gaelic road signs. [lol] We should open the door to retired people from the south. They would love it and Caithness would thrive on them.

Big Gaz
11-Jan-14, 21:34
We should open the door to retired people from the south. They would love it and Caithness would thrive on them.

What??? you mean that all those elderly southern people with a strange accent are here on false pretences because the "door" hasn't officially been opened yet? OMG, we ARE doomed! :eek:

gleeber
11-Jan-14, 22:04
The Thurso accent changed in the years after Dounreay. I suppose it was the mix of southern accents and encouragement at school to talk proper English that caused it. Even the Wick brogue has refined since I was a boy. At least it sounds it to me. There's enough room in Caithness for whoever wants to come here. I have no time for the local/incomer thing I see on he org. Keep me out of it.

rob murray
15-Jan-14, 16:51

I take it you mean the Caithness of post Dounreay, unless some real hardwork is put into attracting business up North to provide jobs for younger people ? Sorry I have seen no signs of anything on the horizon, I do predict a county of reduced population, with a large travelling working population ( as long as people have the skills and Oil / gas opportunities continue ) and an aging population..as you put it basically a retirement home

mi16
15-Jan-14, 22:31
Lots of travelling jobs in the nuclear industry also

andrew k
16-Jan-14, 23:47
Lots of travelling jobs in the nuclear industry alsoI can think of worse fates than having a weekend home in Caithness and a weekday home near the sea in northern Somerset. Do you know anyone that's been offered a job there yet? Or even applied for one?

RagnarRocks
17-Jan-14, 00:34
I'm surprised that city folk haven't cottoned on to how nice it is up here and started buying second homes already. Mind giving all the flooding down south it might not take them too long

andrew k
17-Jan-14, 00:41
From reading some of the posts on this website you'd think the floodgates had already opened regarding southerners moving up and buying up all available homes.

RagnarRocks
17-Jan-14, 10:12
If that where the case the house prices would reflect it. In Poole there's a place called Sandbanks it went from being relatively cheap in the 70s because it was on a shingle bank and had huge queues for the ferry to multi million pound properties just because some clever estate agent marketed it as the Monte Carlo of the south. Wait till the floodgates do open and I'm sure they will then you'll see prices rise

hopper.65
23-Jan-14, 08:22
I used to think Caithness was a nice place when i was a kid, now though i think it is a grey, cold and baron place with very little opportunity in business or employment, yes there are some things that swing in it's favor but not much if we are honest with ourselves.
I don't blame any youngster for choosing to live South, generally most who do will be better of for doing so, i don't like saying this as this is where i was born and bred but i think it will become a place a shadow of what it once was and businesses will without doubt throw in the towel, many will be fighting for their existence even now that is clear to see.
Some are now choosing to live abroad and i know people who have and their quality of life is much better than ours, nothing is going to replace Dounreay, there may be one or two projects that could compensate but no way will it lead to a couple of thousand jobs and that is what is needed to stop the decay!

Southern-Gal
23-Jan-14, 10:02
I think with the internet and modern communication that things wont ever be as difficult as they were before Dounreay was ever built. Quite a lot of people now have a business that trades on the net and so things are possible now that weren't before. Dounreay probably caused as many problems as it solved as because of it and the big wages big houses were built that take a lot of running and upkeep. Without big wages big houses would never have been built and more modest and easy to keep houses would be more easy to sell on and maintain afterwards.

mi16
23-Jan-14, 11:35
I think with the internet and modern communication that things wont ever be as difficult as they were before Dounreay was ever built. Quite a lot of people now have a business that trades on the net and so things are possible now that weren't before. Dounreay probably caused as many problems as it solved as because of it and the big wages big houses were built that take a lot of running and upkeep. Without big wages big houses would never have been built and more modest and easy to keep houses would be more easy to sell on and maintain afterwards.

what big wages?

andrew k
05-Jul-15, 00:44
By 2030 Rachel Skene's economy changing business idea will have transformed Caithness into a global internet trading hub with a bigger GDP than Amazon's turnover, and the entire population of the county will be packing YouLoveLocal shipments.Whatever happened to YouLoveLocal? Was it doomed from the start as was widely predicted at the outset or does a successful remnant remain?

concerned resident
05-Jul-15, 07:25
Caithness is still a beautiful place to live, but unless we get some companies coming up here to start, and there is some money invested in the county, i,m afraid as Dounreay and Vulcan slowly disappear and the workers move south for jobs, there will be a lot of empty Houses which will be brought up by the council or Trusts, and filled with anti social behavior order families from down south. then all the people who have brought there homes will try and sell them to get out of it. Hope I am Wrong.

domino
05-Jul-15, 16:57
That is a matter of opinion

cazmanian_minx
05-Jul-15, 18:46
Whatever happened to YouLoveLocal? Was it doomed from the start as was widely predicted at the outset or does a successful remnant remain?

This seems to be the only output. No activity on the Twitter account since 2013.

http://youlovelocal.com/

Kenn
06-Jul-15, 00:36
As many of you will know I'm a Cornish incomer and now retired, I also have white hair.
I would have liked to have gone back to the county or my birth but it was too expensive and too crowded. I left in search of work back in The 60s so I am well aware of the problems for young folk here.
It was a considered choice to move to the far north and have now been a resident for nearly 6 years with no regrets.
I estimate that me and The OH contribute many thousands a year to the local economy so perhaps us white settlers should be encouraged !