View Full Version : Texts alarmed woman

08-Jan-14, 08:50
Man ignored plea to stop messages
A WICK woman became alarmed after the tone of text traffic with a man changed, and she told him not to contact her again.
Lianna Gunn didn’t want to have anything more to do with John Begg but he ignored the request and sent her three more texts Wick Sheriff Court was told yesterday.
In them, the 23-year-old threatened to reveal things about her lifestyle and report her to the police alleging she was responsible for having a tattoo put on his neck while he was asleep, some months earlier.
Begg, of 1 Strathy House, Thurso, appeared from custody and admitted engaging in a course of conduct which caused 25-year-old Ms Gunn fear and alarm between December 8-10, last year.
David Barclay, prosecuting, said that there had never been a formal relationship between the pair who had merely been friends. But, on December 8, following some text and phone exchanges between them, Ms Gunn decided, she did not wish to communicate with Begg, any more.
Mr Barclay continued: “Later in the afternoon she sent the accused a text message saying she wanted to be left alone and that he should stay in Thurso and stop sending her messages. However, Begg sent her two further texts, later the same day and a further message the following morning.”
In the messages, Begg made it clear he was going take legal advice and report Ms Gunn for what was revealed by the accused solicitor as the tattoo incident, some months earlier. As part of his retaliation he would also “reveal certain information about her lifestyle”.
When seen by the police, the accused admitted sending the message and described Ms Gunn as “a mate”.
Ken Ferguson said that Begg had been communicating with Ms Gunn while he was in prison and resumed contact on his release. The solicitor added that none of the three messages had been physically threatening and added: “Ms Gunn was aware he had a significant criminal record and in that context, the messages caused her to be afraid.”
Sheriff Andrew Berry remanded Begg and called for an updated background report which he will consider on Friday.