PDA

View Full Version : What delights you about Caithness?

Kenn
08-Jan-14, 01:38
Did the walk from Castlehill Heritage Centre out to The Battery this afternoon, sea was shades of silken blue, the cliffs of Dunnet and Hoy shading from salmon pink to red, lazy waves thumping onto the shore, flocks of Oystercatchers, Plovers, Curlews and Greylag Geese with Scaffs fishing the bay.
Just love the colours, the flora and fauna and on the way back via Olrig and Thorsdale could see all the way to the snowy mountains of Foinaven and Ben Griam.
"It's a kind of magic."

rich62_uk
08-Jan-14, 02:13
Whats not to like ? Maybe the very very few obvious racists but thankfully there are not many of them.

This place is like a world on its own being about 40 years behind the rest of the Country :) and I love it. Children actually play out on bikes or walk themselves to school, they have the freedom we had as children. Some of the things my children tell me that the odd teacher does would if down south get them the sack but up here common sense on the whole rules.

Some of the scenery is the best in the world certainly the Country. The wildlife is on our doorsteps for all to see ! All you have to do is open your eyes.

Its a large area however has a small community something which is rare, where everyone knows everyone or at the very least someone who knows them lol. If you are an incomer but willing to blend in and not take over then you are accepted by the vast majority.

The education is fantastic so is the health service. It is still a shock to me when going to the A and E dept and being seen within a short time with the service being excellent. Regarding the schooling especially the small village schools compared to down south it is equal to private schooling.

I love it here, my children love it here. I have made good friends who are not trying to compete with me or me them ! Life is a much slower pace and things like shops shutting for lunch should be treasured as it helps make time here stand still, which in turn makes it a fantastic place for children to grow up in.

Yes there are places and people that have problems but trust me they are minor compared to other places where people live on the streets. Where you have to lock your doors ALL the time even if you are in the house. Where your car will get stolen if you dont lock it and you can never leave a child alone in the car while you pop in the shop.

You can all slate this post if you like I really do not care, I know what its like on the other side of the coin and its not nice.

Caithness/Sutherland are great places to live. The whole place 'delights' me ..... :)

Big Gaz
08-Jan-14, 02:26
Where you have to lock your doors ALL the time even if you are in the house. Where your car will get stolen if you dont lock it and you can never leave a child alone in the car while you pop in the shop

Tut tut Rich, a fine ambassador you are for Thurso telling it as it is! [lol]

Seriously though you are right, and i totally agree with you although i think Caithness has so much to offer but not yet realised it's full potential!

Kevin Milkins
08-Jan-14, 08:38
My favourite joyous moment.

I walk the dog each morning from Wick golf club down through the dunes to Ackergill Tower and then back up the beach.

Nothing pleases me more than to turn onto the beach with the tide out and view about 5 miles of beautiful sands with no one else on it.

Bobinovich
08-Jan-14, 10:23
Rich's reply pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. I lived in Sheffield prior to moving here, and we had our tent (airing ready for summer camping) stolen from the back garden, and my bike was similarly brazenly stolen, so I love that the crime rate here is so low. So much so that I actually spluttered into my tea when I saw this article/advert (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Home-security-can-prevent-future-heartache-03012014.htm) in the Groat online - I guess Yale didn't do a lot of research on the area first lol

RagnarRocks
08-Jan-14, 10:46
I'd agree down south I'd of never forgotten to lock a door or shut a window up here I frequently forget to lock the doors but don't feel worried abut it. Add that to the magnificent scenery it has to be a winner a much better way of life.

Mrs Bradey
08-Jan-14, 13:04
the weather, even the rain and wind. just now the sun is shining and heavy dark clouds, looks lovely beautiful light!

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 19:17
Turning down that road that comes out at the phone box at Gills and seeing Orkney ahead! ;)

Alice in Blunderland
08-Jan-14, 20:13
Turning down that road that comes out at the phone box at Gills and seeing Orkney ahead! ;)And knowing you don't have to get on a boat to travel to Caithness lol

Big Gaz
08-Jan-14, 22:17
Turning down that road that comes out at the phone box at Gills and seeing Orkney ahead! ;)

And realising the ferry is in dry dock for repairs!....stroll on OC!! :Razz

Phill
08-Jan-14, 22:22
This:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7355/11720377016_fd491f3a2e_c.jpg

Dog walking & golf.
:Razz

rogermellie
09-Jan-14, 00:56
Maybe the very very few obvious racists but thankfully there are not many of them.

and pray tell, where was this utopian paradise from whence you came that racism doesn't occur ? ...

seriously though, the replies in this thread sum up the future of Caithness, a group of happy middle aged - retired folk.

there is very little scope for young people in Caithness apart from wiping your arses in the Nursing homes.

another thread touched upon the number of 'dissfunkshunal' families that move up here.

fact is that if you present yourself as homeless/need to be rehoused in one of the UK's major conurbations you will be encouaraged to apply for a house in the Highlands (especially Wick & Lybster) due to the short waiting lists.

so enjoy the peace and quiet while you can

mackay5255
09-Jan-14, 01:33
another thread touched upon the number of 'dissfunkshunal' families that move up here.fact is that if you present yourself as homeless/need to be rehoused in one of the UK's major conurbations you will be encouaraged to apply for a house in the Highlands (especially Wick & Lybster) due to the short waiting lists.Yes there was a time when Gordon MacCauley's caravan site at Lochshell was the sole bastion of these types, but now they're all over the county, not just Wick & Lybster. Groats and the north coast seem to have become the main settlement zones in the last few years. Canisbay school for example now has a disproportionate number of children from incoming 'disfunkshunal' families, and it plays havoc with what was a more natural balance.

rogermellie
09-Jan-14, 01:43
Yes there was a time when Gordon MacCauley's caravan site at Lochshell was the sole bastion of these types, but now they're all over the county, not just Wick & Lybster. Groats and the north coast seem to have become the main settlement zones in the last few years. Canisbay school for example now has a disproportionate number of children from incoming 'disfunkshunal' families, and it plays havoc with what was a more natural balance.

i'm off to start another thread ...

RagnarRocks
09-Jan-14, 08:17
We do have a wonderful selection of Trolls up here living under bridges and in the lochs I'm amazed how well they've embraced modern technology and learned to type and use the Internet :0))

Better Out Than In
16-Jan-14, 16:34
Last week I had a couple of senior visitors up whom had never been here before. We had to visit a few places including accessing land and looking at the outside of some industrial premises. We had lunch in new JOG café and dinner in Thurso. The following morning they went for a walk along Thurso east themselves. They kept going on about the light and open views, how laid back and friendly people were and letting us walk across their land etc. without any hassle and all sorts of +ve messages. I have worked in many countries and have to visit many places around the UK but always look forward to coming home.