PDA

View Full Version : Postcode Problems Again

maza
07-Jan-14, 17:22
This Postcode problem rears Its head again,I tried to get quote over the phone and online for home Insurance from Rias only to be told my postcode is not on their system, yet I have car insurance with them. I told the guy we were on mainland but of course he just apologised, I know its not his fault but the fact we almost finished the quote before he told me about postcode was so annoying. Surely something can be done to separate us from having code same as Islands.

Mr P Cannop
07-Jan-14, 18:20
tell them to look at their maps

xx_chickie
07-Jan-14, 19:40
Might be worth having a look at this page:- https://www.facebook.com/ScottishHighlandsandIslandsagainstdeliveryripoff

It has absolutely taken off since it was made yesterday, with some media coverage. People have been posting a few examples of postcode problems like your insurers, not just postage. It is all so frustrating.

Tilly Teckel
07-Jan-14, 20:21
Just joined that Facebook group - over 10,000 likes since 5 Jan :eek:

Saveman
07-Jan-14, 22:14
I had a parcel that was suppose to be delivered today but is in Orkney, "because of the postcode" So tomorrow its coming back from Orkney and heading down to Inverness, will be put on the van in Inverness and delivered to me on Thursday.

Tilly Teckel
07-Jan-14, 22:35
I had a parcel that was suppose to be delivered today but is in Orkney, "because of the postcode" So tomorrow its coming back from Orkney and heading down to Inverness, will be put on the van in Inverness and delivered to me on Thursday.

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo316/flamespheonix/mrhumphries_zps8c096ea4.gif (http://s387.photobucket.com/user/flamespheonix/media/mrhumphries_zps8c096ea4.gif.html)

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 14:07
Surely something can be done to separate us from having code same as Islands.

Well, you already have seperate postcodes from us over here - You have KW1-14 and we have KW15-17

As previously discussed on this forum (I think), and raised again here....

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?217586-Post-Office-Blunder&p=1061659#post1061659

(http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?217586-Post-Office-Blunder&p=1061659#post1061659)There is the the interesting possibility that its us over here who are lumped in with Wick and not the other way around. In all other postcodes I have looked at, the location that gets the "prestige" of being number 1 is the actual post town, or in the case of big towns, the city centre. KW1 is Wick, so there is the distinct possibility indeed that the centre of the KW empire is indeed Wick.

There is plenty evidence that the postcode has little bearing on the accuracy of delivery. We get plenty of post here with the correcct postcode for where it was destined for, but delivered to a similar sounding address. Evidence aplenty that they do not actually go on the postcode for deliveries, but have a quick glance at the written address, and deliver it to where they thought they read, not what it actually says. Had they followed the postcode, it wouldn't come anywhere near here.

daisychain
08-Jan-14, 15:00
I received a parcel from next yesterday, it was posted on the 22nd dec. It was a Christmas present from my daughter, maybe it went to Orkney(or Shetland)!

donnick
08-Jan-14, 15:17
I thought the KW stood for Kirkwall ?

Big Gaz
08-Jan-14, 15:25
I received a parcel from next yesterday, it was posted on the 22nd dec. It was a Christmas present from my daughter, maybe it went to Orkney(or Shetland)!

More than likely got put to one side so they could concentrate on delivering mail that was put in the post before the last xmas post date. I still have 7 items waiting to be delivered that i sold between 23-31 dec on Ebay. Tracking just says in the system and being processed. Heaven knows when they will turn up but try telling that to the buyers who want the item the day before they buy it! One buyer in Australia, bought an item on xmas eve around 7pm and put in a paypal claim on monday 6th because it hadnt arrived! I will never again sell anything on ebay after the 1st week in December. It's too much hassle

orkneycadian
08-Jan-14, 19:07

Not sure. There was some discussion here a long time ago that Wick is the post town (despite what Wikipedia says), but that WK could not be used, so KW was instead.

If it is Kirkwall, then its the only post town (that I have looked at) that does not have the lowest number after the first letter(s). In almost all cases, the post town (centre) has the 1 number. One I found has 0, and Aberdeen has 10. Wick is KW1 - Kirkwall is KW15, and almost one of the highest numbers in the set (KW17 being the biggest).

The other thing thats noticable about postcode areas is that the post town is in the middle of the district, has the smallest number, and the numbers get bigger the further away you get. Kirkwall is pretty much to the North of KW area, whilst Wick is reasonably central.

Might be possible!

embow
09-Jan-14, 12:02
It does.
Also another mystery in this saga is why is there no KW4?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KW_postcode_area

Mr Z
09-Jan-14, 12:36
Perhaps KW4 was for Portgower but it disappeared with the people!!

Beat Bug
09-Jan-14, 13:00
I posted a parcel, first class, along with 2 others, in plenty of time to reach my Grandson for his 3rd birthday on Dec 1st. Christmas came and went, new year came and went. I filled in the appropriate claim form, and had it ready to post on Monday this week. Then I had a phone call from my daughter to say it arrived, only 5 weeks after I posted it! I might add, one of the other 2 parcels arrived the next day, and the other one the day after. All 3 were handed in at the mobile post office van at the same time!

embow
09-Jan-14, 17:47
Perhaps KW4 was for Portgower but it disappeared with the people!!Nah! It's gone missing between Lybster KW3 and Latheron KW5. Maybe it was 'Forsed' out? ;)

Norseman
10-Jan-14, 14:58
Not sure. There was some discussion here a long time ago that Wick is the post town (despite what Wikipedia says), but that WK could not be used, so KW was instead.

If it is Kirkwall, then its the only post town (that I have looked at) that does not have the lowest number after the first letter(s). In almost all cases, the post town (centre) has the 1 number. One I found has 0, and Aberdeen has 10. Wick is KW1 - Kirkwall is KW15, and almost one of the highest numbers in the set (KW17 being the biggest).

The other thing thats noticable about postcode areas is that the post town is in the middle of the district, has the smallest number, and the numbers get bigger the further away you get. Kirkwall is pretty much to the North of KW area, whilst Wick is reasonably central.

Might be possible!

Correct please see attached Postcode map I wish people once and for all would stop referring to KW as the Kirkwall code22340

embow
10-Jan-14, 16:16
So please explain why it's KW and not WK. WK is not used anywhere else and never has been.We all know what the map shows. Few, if any, know why it's KW. Please be so good to enlighten us. Thank you.

orkneycadian
11-Jan-14, 14:12
Sorry, haven't a clue why KW and not WK.

Does this mean we Orcadians can now complain bitterly that we suffer high delivery costs as we are lumped in with with e' Weekers? ;)

Big Gaz
11-Jan-14, 16:06
Sorry, haven't a clue why KW and not WK.

Does this mean we Orcadians can now complain bitterly that we suffer high delivery costs as we are lumped in with with e' Weekers? ;)

Oh come now OC, we alllllll know that you Orcadians complain bitterly at the best of times for any old reason so stop blaming it on delivery charges an e' Weekers [lol]

orkneycadian
12-Jan-14, 00:53
No no Big Gaz, it should go like this....

"Luk, Orkneycadian buey, ye big yap o dirt - We aaaaaaallll ken that you Orcadians ir nuthing ither than fokk that hiv nuthing better tae dae than moan, pleep and girn"

If you can't walk the walk.....

Big Gaz
12-Jan-14, 10:19
No no Big Gaz, it should go like this....

"Luk, Orkneycadian buey, ye big yap o dirt - We aaaaaaallll ken that you Orcadians ir nuthing ither than fokk that hiv nuthing better tae dae than moan, pleep and girn"
If you can't walk the walk.....

Lol OC, you never fail to give me a laugh :grin:, now how about trying to get the southern courier company grinches to have a laugh, maybe they will lighten up and cut the prices and if not, set the peedies on them.

orkneycadian
18-Jan-14, 22:34
now how about trying to get the southern courier company grinches to have a laugh, maybe they will lighten up and cut the prices and if not, set the peedies on them.

I have found it much more effective to set the Post Office / Royal Mail / Parcel Force on them. Not directly, you understand, but just to simply send stuff with them in the first place. No moaning, pleeping or girning from them if it has a Wick / KW postcode!