PDA

View Full Version : New fridge

Angela
19-Feb-07, 15:23
Is it correct that a new fridge (or freezer) should be left for 24 hours after plugging in before putting any food in it? :confused

golach
19-Feb-07, 15:27
I asked Mrs G, who has worked in Refridgeration for many years, her advice is overnight would be long enough, she thinks 24 hours is too long.

Angela
19-Feb-07, 15:37
I asked Mrs G, who has worked in Refridgeration for many years, her advice is overnight would be long enough, she thinks 24 hours is too long.
Thanks golach - I'm trying to co-ordinate arrival of fridge sometime tomorrow between 7.45 a.m. and 1pm...
then friend coming to take away old fridge...so I can plug in new fridge...maybe not until the evening...with Tesco delivery ....prob Wednesday...so I'm not too long without a) a fridge and b) food!:confused
I know this is an unnecessary panic really - there are always tins - and shops other than Tesco!

johno
19-Feb-07, 17:01
that is very true, overnight should do it. it,s got smething to do with the oil settling down after being in transit, so the guy,s that delivered our,s told me

pedromcgrory
19-Feb-07, 19:27
its so the oil can go back down the compressor pipes etc overnight will be fine

Angela
19-Feb-07, 19:30
Thank you all -I shouldn't be at risk of starvation then...[lol]

Colin Manson
19-Feb-07, 19:40
The gas in the compressor should be left to settle for a few hours (~4 I think) after delivery before you switch the fridge on.

Once it's time to switch on they suggest..

Put food in the refrigerator when it cools down inside in 2~3 hours after the product is plugged in.
- When you put food in the refrigerator before it gets cool enough, food smells permeate the inner liners.

If it has an automatic ice maker you have to wait 12 hours before starting it.

Cheers
Colin

sassylass
19-Feb-07, 19:49
It might take several cycles before the ice is usable, ours had an off taste for awhile.