PDA

View Full Version : Tesco policy regarding misprices

Cinders392
18-Feb-07, 21:32
Has anyone been at the scam of going in and buying the products which are wrongly priced in Tescos, then going to customer service, pointing out the mistake and getting their money back and keep the product!!

I haven't myself but a family member of mine alerted me to this tip after she read it on the money saving expert web site and has since had 2 free books off Tesco! The annoying thing is its perfectly legal! There are quite a few products that are mispriced and they dont put the price right as soon as someone notices it! Which makes me think there is a consipracy. Tesco are a large store and delibrately do this to keep customers. If people know of these mispricings, then they will come in to do their shopping to get the free product. (which can come in handy for presents because most people wont need the product)

'The Consumer Protection Act 1987 makes it an offence for a trader to give a consumer misleading price indications. In the first instance speak to the trader about the differing prices, if you are not satisfied with the response, contact your local authority trading standards department who enforce the Act and who could bring a prosecution against the trader.'

For clarification SEL stands for Shelf Edge Label and R and R stands for Refund and Retain. The Tesco policy on signs instore is :-

"And if things don't add up ~ In the unlikely event you are charged a higher price than on the shelf or the product we will refund your money and you can keep the product"

However if you want to look up the certain products get in soon to get them free as Tesco are changing their policy on the 26th Feb this year. I beleive that you will get double the difference back. So if you are over charged by £2, you will get £4 back instead of the item free.

Julia
18-Feb-07, 21:51
I've been overcharged twice now for non food products so I always check my receipt before leaving the store. On both occasions I kept the product and received a full refund.

One policy of Tesco I do not like is upon returning an item with no receipt such as a gift, if the item is on sale you only get the current sale price even though it may have been more the day or week before when the item was initially bought. Obviously there is not much scope for improvement in that area but it's still annoying.

Woolie
18-Feb-07, 22:02
I think u will find most bis stores do that i know we do but we als do a gift receipt.

dirdyweeker
18-Feb-07, 22:27
On opening day I was overcharged. Went back in the afternoon though and had full refund AND got to keep the aforementioned items free!! Felt kinda bad as had a free bottle of champagne in the morning.....

pat
18-Feb-07, 22:40
This is all included in their price - why do you think they do this - its to keep us going back to see if we can get a bargain!
After being overcharged for things during a big shop, I was so pleased I had checked my receipt - got about £50 back and the goods, did not know about their overcharging policy at the time but always check receipts now (never happened since though).
Dirdyweeker - Someone has to get the bottle of champagne and free gifts on opening day, glad you enjoyed yours, could not have gone to a better home
Can hardly wait to hear when they are coming to the Western Isles.

dirdyweeker
18-Feb-07, 22:51
Dirdyweeker - Someone has to get the bottle of champagne and free gifts on opening day, glad you enjoyed yours, could not have gone to a better home
Can hardly wait to hear when they are coming to the Western Isles.

Thanks 'pat'....still not even opened the bottle though!!

caroline
19-Feb-07, 00:17
I think u will find most bis stores do that i know we do but we als do a gift receipt.

Everybody should keep their receipts especially if you are buying goods before Christmas and not able to return them until after most times the item is reduced and if you have no receipt then you are only entitled to the price on the day of return shops are to busy to go back and look up to see if you bought it with your c /card some shops charge for the service of looking up their system and if you have paid cash, cheque or vouchers keep the receipt.