PDA

View Full Version : Fulmar

Seabird
18-Feb-07, 19:43
The Fulmars are starting to make themselfs at home again on the cliffs along with a few Guillemots, so perhaps Sring is not so far away.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e307/seabird72/bird%20pictures/Fulmar18-2-2007.jpg

Colin

grumpyhippo
18-Feb-07, 20:12
The Fulmars are starting to make themselfs at home again on the cliffs along with a few Guillemots, so perhaps Sring is not so far away.

They were certainly starting to settle in at Duncansby last week but there were on a very few Razorbills or Guillmots Hope its just too early for them but I understand their breeding success has not been great for the last couple of years.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k57/grumpyhippo/DSC_0014.jpg

Seabird
18-Feb-07, 23:32
Fulmars are always the first to arrive and last to leave.
Guillemots were at Duncansby in small numbers on the rock ledges and quite a few on the water.
I did see a single guillemot in mating plumage, ie white circle and stripe around the eyes.
I saw no Razorbills on the ledges or any Shags, but it's early days yet.
It's great to hear the noise of activity from the birds rather than the silence you get during the winter months.
Lets hope they all have a successful breeding season.

Colin

Kenn
19-Feb-07, 16:25
Thanks both for the pics, I love the way these birds ride the updrafts and wheel over the cliff edges.
Surely they are resident all year round so do they only come to their breeding ledges in spring and not use them as roosts the rest of the year? I ask this as there were many fulmars on the ledges when I was up in January.

Seabird
19-Feb-07, 21:26
Thanks both for the pics, I love the way these birds ride the updrafts and wheel over the cliff edges.
Surely they are resident all year round so do they only come to their breeding ledges in spring and not use them as roosts the rest of the year? I ask this as there were many fulmars on the ledges when I was up in January.

There are a few around all year, but once the weather settles they start to gather in large numbers.
If the weather suddenly turns cold or stormy they will disappear again.
I must admit i love watching them gliding on the air currents.
They also have a curious nature and will fly closer and closer to you until they almost part your hair.

Colin

Kenn
19-Feb-07, 23:36
Many thanks for the information Seabird I was curious as although there were not the numbers I would expect to see during the breeding season wherever I looked at a cliff face there would be fulmars on it , all the way from Brough to Duncansby
First time I ever encountered these birds was some 20yrs ago when we took a detour to Flamborough Head and walked the cliff path, have admired them ever since.