PDA

View Full Version : Ever scapped a car and found out that it has been put back on the road?

Anfield
17-Dec-13, 10:11
I have recently become the victim of a scam involvingCaithness Scrap Yards and wouldwelcome PM's from anyone else who has suffered at the hands of one of these dealers.

RagnarRocks
17-Dec-13, 10:18
Nothing illegal about selling a car you brought for scrap as long as its still road worthy and has an mot on it. You can even buy write offs repair them and legally put them back on the road as long as they are mechanically sound and pass all the relevant legal criteria.

Anfield
17-Dec-13, 10:33
Forgot to add above that vehicle had been issued with a Certificate Of Destruction

RagnarRocks
17-Dec-13, 10:41
Ok that makes a bit of difference

colingel
17-Dec-13, 12:40
I would have though that if a Certificate of Destruction had been issued it would be very difficult for someone to get replacement documents or even tax the vehicle.

Big Gaz
17-Dec-13, 12:53
So you sold your car to a dodgy scrap yard or is it a legit certificate of destruction? in which case if they are fully licensed they have a legal obligation to break and dispose of the car so get in touch with DVLA asap. If they aren't a registered scrap yard then you can still be liable for any fines, road tax, pollution costs etc because you didn't dispose of the car legally. Also if yuo scrapped it after 1st Oct and they paid you cash, you can be fined as well as the dealer. It's a minefield now with cars and scrappies

Anfield
17-Dec-13, 17:35
Certificate Of Destruction was issued but then it transpires that a "mistake" was allegedly made, and that scrap dealers Speedily asked DVLA to reverse decision

Big Gaz
17-Dec-13, 18:18
i'm intrigued because according to DVLA & SEPA websites, there is no authorised treatment facility (ATF) in the whole of Caithness that you can take a car to, to scrap. Did this guy give you a hand written CoD or did he print it off from an online site?

Mrs Bradey
17-Dec-13, 19:46
i'm intrigued because according to DVLA & SEPA websites, there is no authorised treatment facility (ATF) in the whole of Caithness that you can take a car to, to scrap. Did this guy give you a hand written CoD or did he print it off from an online site? is Sandy o'Brien not a registered ATF ? I'm sure his advertising says DVLA paperwork taken care of . which dismantler did Anfield sell to?

Big Gaz
17-Dec-13, 19:53
is Sandy o'Brien not a registered ATF ? I'm sure his advertising says DVLA paperwork taken care of . which dismantler did Anfield sell to?

I thought about Sandy's too and there's also Speedy in Thurso and someone has just opened up in Ormlie but according to the SEPA ATF document dated 01/09/2013 only Speedy on it and certainly nobody else in Caithness.

http://www.sepa.org.uk/waste/waste_regulation/producer_responsibility/idoc.ashx?docid=1df4ad9e-9276-49d0-93a0-062307e6dd4c&version=-1

http://www.sepa.org.uk/waste/waste_regulation/producer_responsibility/weee/idoc.ashx?docid=22c233cf-d9d2-4b19-8429-99aa73db9b50&version=-1
(http://www.sepa.org.uk/waste/waste_regulation/producer_responsibility/weee/idoc.ashx?docid=22c233cf-d9d2-4b19-8429-99aa73db9b50&version=-1)

mi16
17-Dec-13, 20:06
What's the problem?You sold the car, the new keeper can do as he wishes

Big Gaz
17-Dec-13, 20:12
What's the problem?You sold the car, the new keeper can do as he wishes

He scrapped the vehicle and has a destruction certificate for it so it shouldn't be on the road

mi16
17-Dec-13, 20:49
He scrapped the vehicle and has a destruction certificate for it so it shouldn't be on the roadLooks like the COD was retracted though

Big Gaz
17-Dec-13, 21:32
Looks like the COD was retracted though

I thought once a CoD was issued and you notify DVLA the vehicle is scrap, then that's the end of the vehicle as an ATF has an obligation to destroy or dismantle the vehicle once a CoD is issued. I didn't think you could retract a CoD without the original owners permission?

Anfield
18-Dec-13, 19:03
I thought once a CoD was issued and you notify DVLA the vehicle is scrap, then that's the end of the vehicle as an ATF has an obligation to destroy or dismantle the vehicle once a CoD is issued. I didn't think you could retract a CoD without the original owners permission?

Have sent you a PM

Anfield
18-Dec-13, 19:11
Just to need to clarify a point about this whole unsavoury business.

I am the person who bought this car, not the seller
I bought the car following an ad on this forum which listedcar as " 8 months mot with noadvisorys. (sic) very economical . cheap tax and insurance. lady owner. veryclean reliable car . p/x possible.... delivery."

colingel
18-Dec-13, 19:55
Just out of interest was more than one yard involved?

Billy Boy
18-Dec-13, 20:27
I take it you bought it from this person then? http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?216988-Rowan

I (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?216988-Rowan) did see the mentioned car in a yard in Thurso before it made it's way out to the reay side of the county.

fooder 10
18-Dec-13, 20:58
I can assure my dad has nothing till do with this we would not do that till some one (Sandy obrien)

Anfield
18-Dec-13, 21:29
I can assure my dad has nothing till do with this we would not do that till some one (Sandy obrien)

I can confirm that this statement is true and that Sandy O Brien is in no way involed in my dispute.

Anfield
18-Dec-13, 21:32
Just out of interest was more than one yard involved?

Two yards involved, one in Thurso and another one out West

mi16
18-Dec-13, 23:24
ah I cam see your problem now.
is the vehicle roadworthy?
if it has been misadvertised then you have a case

Anfield
20-Dec-13, 11:30
I take it you bought it from this person then? http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?216988-Rowan

I (http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?216988-Rowan) did see the mentioned car in a yard in Thurso before it made it's way out to the reay side of the county.

You might very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment!
Turns out that the person who the Thurso scap yard conned (paid her £50 for a car which was later sold for £500) is a 70 year old female pensioner.

Karma, you have missed someone, and need to make a Speedy visit back to even things out
Karma, y

Billy Boy
20-Dec-13, 19:23
You might very well think that but I couldn't possibly comment!
Turns out that the person who the Thurso scap yard conned (paid her £50 for a car which was later sold for £500) is a 70 year old female pensioner.

Karma, you have missed someone, and need to make a Speedy visit back to even things out
Karma, y

It's a common thing for that firm to put cars back on the road as even the guy he employs is driving one that has been scraped.

Do you know why the woman put her car there to be scraped in the first place? Was there something wrong with it or was she led to believe there was?

mi16
20-Dec-13, 23:54
What a bummer

Anfield
23-Dec-13, 10:33
It's a common thing for that firm to put cars back on the road as even the guy he employs is driving one that has been scraped.

Do you know why the woman put her car there to be scraped in the first place? Was there something wrong with it or was she led to believe there was?

Yes this not a one off. Disturbing thing though is how easy it is for a rogue to get hold of a duplicate MOT. All you need to do is take the V5 to an obliging garage and one is produced.
So in case the rogue scrap dealer obtained V5 from lady, and took this document just across the road to $£$%$% Garage and walked away with a MOT.
I telephoned MOT tester at this garage, and although he "sympathised with my position" he could not assist me as "they do business" with scrap yard.
I leave you to draw your own conclusions

sids
23-Dec-13, 11:41
Just thought I'd say hello, before the thread is removed.

poppett
23-Dec-13, 16:58
The moral of the story is if you want your car to be scrapped beyond repair Inverness car crushers is the place to be!

silverfox57
23-Dec-13, 17:15
was about to buy a van in thurso last week when I got reg paid £20 for history check online to find our was written off by insurance company 2years ago plates were changed as well told seller where to stick his van,sad but true.

mi16
23-Dec-13, 17:45
was about to buy a van in thurso last week when I got reg paid £20 for history check online to find our was written off by insurance company 2years ago plates were changed as well told seller where to stick his van,sad but true.There is nothing illegal about selling an ex total loss, the seller must inform the buyer of the vehicles history if known.Always pays to do a hpi If the seller was attempting to mislead you should inform the police

ducati
23-Dec-13, 21:02
The moral of the story is if you want your car to be scrapped beyond repair Inverness car crushers is the place to be!

Make sure you disembark sharppish! :eek:

Big Gaz
23-Dec-13, 22:15
There is nothing illegal about selling an ex total loss, the seller must inform the buyer of the vehicles history if known.Always pays to do a hpi If the seller was attempting to mislead you should inform the police

All good and well paying for an HPI check but this really only shows the vehicle history and whether or not there is any outstanding finance due on the vehicle and in some cases if it has been recorded as a either a damaged/recoverable or a total loss, it does not show if the vehicle has been recently scrapped.

mi16
23-Dec-13, 23:15
If it aint in a cube then its not scrapped in my book

RagnarRocks
23-Dec-13, 23:22
If you've HPId it for outstanding finance and it has a V5 and current MOT then you could always try a VOSA check that should pull up any little nasties lurking to bite you in the Butt...ocksIt will also show you if the cars failed its MOT in the past and what it failed on etc etc That's the checks that wewantanycar use and they rarely make mistakes. V5, MOT, VOSA then HPI.