PDA

View Full Version : Loft Insulation

Rheghead
17-Feb-07, 18:01
Has anyone got any ideas which is the best type to go for and where I could get it locally?

I have seen some thin bubble sheet stuff in Screwfixdirect, is it any good?:confused

I thought at least 10 inches was the ideal thickness? I have 6 inch stuff atm.

:Razz

MadPict
17-Feb-07, 18:35
http://www.est.org.uk/myhome/insulation/loft/

http://www.diynot.com/pages/in/in002.php#a2

Got a B&Q nearby? - http://www.insulation-installers.co.uk/loft/scotland.htm

Stumurf
17-Feb-07, 18:50
we got ours from Thurso building supplies at the side of the train station...

well worth a look in my opinion.. the one we bought didn't have any protective wrapping but an old pair of clothes, gloves n mask worked a treat.

They may also sell protected versions to help with the installation.

burstbucker
17-Feb-07, 19:28
The thin bubble sheet insulation is not as good as the manufacturers state.250mm of fibreglass insulation in a roof is the current building regulation minimum.
You can also get it from the woodyard in Union Street Wick.

Whitewater
17-Feb-07, 20:17
Have to agree with 'burstbucker', fibreglass is best, easy to install, but make sure you have the correct protective clothing and mask. 10" of insulation will be great, I have about 7 - 8 inches at the moment which seems to adaquate but a few inches more would improve things. I will have to do some repair though, made some holes in it when fitting new lights and ventilation system in kitchen and bathroom.

You won't beat the saw mill in union street Wick for price.

Tristan
17-Feb-07, 20:34
If you can get rockwool it is even better.
Higher R factor (just)
but not as itchy, dusty or as dangerous to install

North Rhins
17-Feb-07, 22:16
I’ve just used ‘Rockwool’ in the roof space of the cottage extension, the difference it has made is very noticeable.. Most building suppliers stock it. The secret to it is to use the maximum depth you can. So however deep the rafters are in the loft, pack it with rockwool. It’s not very pleasant stuff to handle so I would advice a mask. Have you made any enquiries about a grant towards the cost?

WeeBurd
18-Feb-07, 00:19
Have you made any enquiries about a grant towards the cost?

I'm just curious what you mean by this, NR? MrBurd very recently did our loft (cottage) as we had no insulation up there at all. We're noticing the difference on the heating costs already! I wasn't aware that grants may have been available - do you have any further info at all, please?:D

j4bberw0ck
18-Feb-07, 00:45
If your ecological principles are as strong as your practicality ones. try >>>here<<< (http://www.mikewye.co.uk/naturalproducts.htm#sheepswool)

ywindythesecond
18-Feb-07, 02:08
Has anyone got any ideas which is the best type to go for and where I could get it locally?

I have seen some thin bubble sheet stuff in Screwfixdirect, is it any good?:confused

Reggy
How come you know all about everything else about energy, but you don't know about loft insulation?
ywindythe second

Rheghead
18-Feb-07, 08:51
Reggy
How come you know all about everything else about energy, but you don't know about loft insulation?
ywindythe second

I don't seem to remember claiming I was a qualified insulation engineer or having an indepth knowledge of the retail outlets of Caithness.

Do you?

Bill Fernie
18-Feb-07, 10:15
Over the years we have increased the insulation in various places in the house. Our house has rooms in the roof space and I put insulation behind the bedroom walls on one sdie as it had attic space that I could get into.

I also added insulation to some parts beneath the house on the ground floor and used plastic netting to hold it in place. I pinned the plastic netting up with a staple gun. A bit of struggle to crawl about in the two and a half feet space but lying on my back I was easily able to put the fibre glass rolls into place betwen the rafters. I did this many years ago and it is still in place and has made a big difference over the years. The floor may not lose as much heat as walls and ceilings but it is still significant although may be lessened by carpets etc.

If you are insulating I think it is still worth doing underneath floors on the ground floor if you can get access and not block air vents etc and assuming you have done all the other places first.

Alan's of Gillock also sell insulation materials. Worth phoning round for prices as I have not purchased any of this for a few years.

MadPict
18-Feb-07, 16:29
If your ecological principles are as strong as your practicality ones. try >>>here<<< (http://www.mikewye.co.uk/naturalproducts.htm#sheepswool)

Heh - I can see the headlines now - "Local Man Arrested After 300 Sheep Found In His Loft".....

Rheghead
18-Feb-07, 19:51
Thanks everyone, some good suggestions there, thanks!

j4bberw0ck
18-Feb-07, 21:38
Heh - I can see the headlines now - "Local Man Arrested After 300 Sheep Found In His Loft".....

:lol:

I'll be restoring an old but and ben during this year and will use the sheepskin insulation batts throughout. It has a sort of "rightness" about it somehow.

Errogie
22-Feb-07, 20:28
Just travelled up the A9 with someone who said you definitely don't want to go for recycled paper pellets for every time you install or replace a light fitting the stuff just pours out of the hole.

Shades of lying on your back draining the car's oil and some of the warm stuff runs up your sleeve before you can get your arm back in time!

Liz
22-Feb-07, 20:39

I like the look of this.

Would much prefer to have this installed than the horrible fibreglass!!!

steeko
15-Mar-07, 17:31
You could also phone Sheffield Insulations in Blairgowrie, although they are suppliers to the industry, there knowledge is excellent and they are always very helpful.

bigjjuk
16-Mar-07, 10:18
Im the buyer for M M Millers, and deal and buy this item the whole time.
If you want a named product then go for Rockwool. But in my experience they all do the same thing, so as long as you put down the recommended thickness of 250mm ( you will probaly have to double up insulation to make this amount). Then i recommend cheapest.
Caithness: try Thurso Building Supplies and Allans of Gillock
Inverness: Grays Timber or Rembrand Timber. ( These are prob a little cheaper and deliver up here weekly) but it depends on how soon u need it and their delivery times.

Cattach
16-Mar-07, 13:43
Over the years we have increased the insulation in various places in the house. Our house has rooms in the roof space and I put insulation behind the bedroom walls on one sdie as it had attic space that I could get into.

I also added insulation to some parts beneath the house on the ground floor and used plastic netting to hold it in place. I pinned the plastic netting up with a staple gun. A bit of struggle to crawl about in the two and a half feet space but lying on my back I was easily able to put the fibre glass rolls into place betwen the rafters. I did this many years ago and it is still in place and has made a big difference over the years. The floor may not lose as much heat as walls and ceilings but it is still significant although may be lessened by carpets etc.

If you are insulating I think it is still worth doing underneath floors on the ground floor if you can get access and not block air vents etc and assuming you have done all the other places first.

Alan's of Gillock also sell insulation materials. Worth phoning round for prices as I have not purchased any of this for a few years.

A double sided aluminium foil used in new house builds and with a coefficient equivalent to that required for insulation in new houses can be bought from various companies including screw fix. It is very easy to use because under the floor you simply staple to the joists. No fiddling around on your back with net or with less manageable fibre wool. I have done the house with it.

Grants are available for loft and cavity wall insulation with various power companies. I had my cavity walls done by grant and did not pay a lot for a biggish house.

badger
16-Mar-07, 19:24
Would alumium foil have to go under floor boards or could it go between boards and carpet underlay? All my house which isn't stone flag (and can't do much about that - v. cold) is fitted carpet. I took some up and put layers of newspaper under but hadn't thought of using foil. Did put it behind radiators though.

Rheghead - go for wool if you can, nice and natural to suit your house. Wish someone up here would start a processing plant for wool insulation as many farmers don't know what to do with the annual crop from shearing. Think it's loss-making at present. Could be a good business with the demand for insulation.

burstbucker
17-Mar-07, 10:55
The aluminium foil is not as good as the manufacturers make out. I believe that they cannot provide you with any certification from an approved body in this country such as BRE.

Rheghead
03-May-07, 20:41
OK, I have done my loft with an extra 6" of rock wool. And it has made a difference. I know we have had some warm weather lately but the passive heating from the day has been enough to heat the house to the effect that I've not had any heating on at all for the last 10 days.

I have a total of 12" of loft insulation now. I hope everyone will get their houses done!:) One small bit of action is better than lots of good intentions. (yes I was being sanctimonious :))

stratman
03-May-07, 20:54
Did you find an excellent place to buy your insulation Reghead?
I'm planning 700mm and obviously the cheaper. the better.

Rheghead
03-May-07, 21:00
Thurso building supplies. £180 for 150mm X66m². Cheaper than I thought it would be.

burstbucker
03-May-07, 21:17
I had 150mm originally and upgraded it to 250mm thickness a couple of years ago and noticed a big difference. Last winter I put in another 100-150mm (350-400mm) on top but to be honest I have not noticed any difference this time.

stratman
03-May-07, 21:30
Thank Reghead and that is food for thought Burstbucker. In view of that I wonder if I am over doing it!

scorrie
03-May-07, 22:02

I have been in a few lofts that were using Golden Wonder crisp boxes stuffed with Playboy magazines as insulation. At least that is what the owners of the houses claimed they were there for!!

JAWS
03-May-07, 23:37
One thing to make sure of if you are laying fibre-glass. Make sure that everything you wear is something you never ever intend to wear again.
It's many years since I laid some but I still have a great respect for the religious fanatics of old who wore Hair-shirts. :D

Tristan
04-May-07, 06:36
Thurso building supplies. £180 for 150mm X66m². Cheaper than I thought it would be.

I have always been very impressed with their prices and service.

Gogglebox
04-May-07, 07:37
Its worth giving Energy SOS in Thurso a call (893486) and they can give additional information and advice on grants and discounts and just general advice that people can get whether thay have social benefits or not
Its free independant advice and they can do surveys of your home to help out
They helped me save 20% off my electric bill and i know of others who have saved a fortune and got their house lagged

Some additional Info below

The Scottish Executive's Warm Deal provides grants of up to £500 for insulation. Warm Deal is run by Scottish Gas, on behalf of the Scottish Executive.

The Warm Deal offers grants for a range of energy-saving measures. You can get £500 towards:

cavity wall insulation;
loft, tank and pipe insulation;
draught proofing;
four energy efficient light bulbs; and
energy advice
You may qualify for a grant of up to £500 if you, or your husband or wife, own or rent your home and receive one of the following:

Attendance Allowance
Council Tax Benefit
Disability Living Allowance
Disabled Person's Tax Credit
Child Tax Credit with an income of less than £15,460
Housing Benefit
Income Based Jobseeker's Allowance
Income Support
Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (which must include Constant Attendance Allowance)
War Disablement Pension (which must include the mobility supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance)
Working Tax Credit with an income of less than £15,460
Pension Credit (minimum guarantee element)
If you are aged 60 or over and not receiving any of the qualifying benefits, you could be entitled to a 25% grant of up to £125
From January 2007, children under 16 years in receipt of disability living allowance