PDA

View Full Version : Argh Woodchip

erli
16-Feb-07, 14:57
Could anyone please give me some advice on how to get that stupid stuff off my roof? I have tried the streamer but it's not working, it would be easier to put up a new ceiling. Who invented woodchip anyway?[evil]

quality
16-Feb-07, 15:01
Hi,

Score the paper with a sharp knife to allow the steam to penertrate.

Penelope Pitstop
16-Feb-07, 16:08
Hi there

I can sympathise, been there done that...yuck!!

This worked for me.... Take a paint scraper and scrape the wood chip bits off (messy). Then take the steamer to it. I found that the steam was able to penetrate the paper and came off easier.

Hope that helps you...good luck.

davem
16-Feb-07, 16:36
I'd agree with Penelope there. You can also buy a tool that has three double spiked wheels and a handle in the middle that pricks the paper to let steam through, also v. useful, most of all though; a good carbon steel scraper that will bend but is fairly stiff, preferably the steel all in one piece so you don't get paper stuck at the end of the handle. Whatever it is still a pain but less so.
Good Luck
Dave

nicnak
16-Feb-07, 17:11
score it then scim it with a coat of plaster, or failing that paint with the repair filler you can buy in homebase
- cheating I know but it saves a lot of backache and cursing!

fred
16-Feb-07, 18:02
Could anyone please give me some advice on how to get that stupid stuff off my roof? I have tried the streamer but it's not working, it would be easier to put up a new ceiling. Who invented woodchip anyway?[evil]

Just take the wood chips off with an electric sander and paper over it.

mccaugm
16-Feb-07, 18:18
I had to scrape this off my youngest bedroom wall took ages. Then had to sand the whole area. Whoever invented woodchip should be shot...I hate the stuff.

erli
16-Feb-07, 19:41
Thanks for all the ideas, I have a busy night ahead of me then and probably a very sore neck too.

highlander
16-Feb-07, 19:48
Erli my hubby is a painter and decorator and he says, do not score the paper as you will also score the ceiling as well, instead rub the entire ceiling with rough sandpaper to break the surface, and then soak a small bit two or three times or use a steamer, and use a very shape scraper, and then it should come off, if it does not come off, it is probably because the ceiling was not sealed properly before it was papered.