PDA

View Full Version : Chancellor abolishes employer NI for under 21's

Big Gaz
05-Dec-13, 16:03
Am i right in thinking that this plan to abolish employer NI for under 21's will mean possibly lead to many older people struggling to get a job as companies will be cheapskates and only employ under 21's?

mi16
05-Dec-13, 16:05
Am i right in thinking that this plan to abolish employer NI for under 21's will mean possibly lead to many older people struggling to get a job as companies will be cheapskates and only employ under 21's?

Great news for the youth, christ knows they need all the help in the world to find work these days.

Alrock
05-Dec-13, 16:55
Still, might be good news for those under 21 but it is still age discrimination, something if anybody else did it they'd get hauled before the courts, but it is one rule for them & another for the rest of us.

poppett
05-Dec-13, 16:59
So if the NI contribution is to start 5 years later than school leaving age and the retirement age is being extended by five years where is there any extra revenue for the government?

A sliding scale of payments would surely be better in the long run?

mi16
05-Dec-13, 17:03
Still, might be good news for those under 21 but it is still age discrimination, something if anybody else did it they'd get hauled before the courts, but it is one rule for them & another for the rest of us. as is the pensionable age, voting age, drinking age, driving age, brew claimant age etc etc just goes to show that you can't please everyone

Alrock
05-Dec-13, 17:19
as is the pensionable age, voting age, drinking age, driving age, brew claimant age etc etc just goes to show that you can't please everyone

Well... for all of them you do have to have some form of qualifying age, as long as it is the same for everybody then that is not discrimination on grounds of age...
The only one in that list that does entail an element of age discrimination is the brew, why a 25 year old gets more money than someone under 25 is a mystery to me, the cost of living is the same no matter your age.

ducati
05-Dec-13, 17:24
Well... for all of them you do have to have some form of qualifying age, as long as it is the same for everybody then that is not discrimination on grounds of age...
The only one in that list that does entail an element of age discrimination is the brew, why a 25 year old gets more money than someone under 25 is a mystery to me, the cost of living is the same no matter your age.

Like work. You pay more for experience. Presumably if you've only been on the brew a few years you get paid less.

mi16
05-Dec-13, 17:27
Like work. You pay more for experience. Presumably if you've only been on the brew a few years you get paid less.Because you are more efficient at it, can fill in the required forms in a fraction of the time of a newbie

Alrock
05-Dec-13, 17:28
Like work. You pay more for experience. Presumably if you've only been on the brew a few years you get paid less.

.....:roll:.....

ducati
05-Dec-13, 17:29
Because you are more efficient at it, can fill in the required forms in a fraction of the time of a newbie

Yes, it is about productivity!

spurtle
05-Dec-13, 17:43
Minimum wage should be made the same across the board, if a 16yr old can have a family then work should be in place in order they can look after that family without finding
themselves in the trap of benefits so when they are of age they can't get a job as they have no experience

mi16
05-Dec-13, 18:12
Perhaps a 16 year old should consider not having a family until able to provide for said family without the aid of the state.

spurtle
05-Dec-13, 18:43
Perhaps a 16 year old should consider not having a family until able to provide for said family without the aid of the state.

I completely agree, children should not be having children but for as long as we allow it then there should be ways that they can support themselves

mi16
05-Dec-13, 19:01
How can / should we go about not allowing it?

Alrock
05-Dec-13, 19:32
How can / should we go about not allowing it?

Means testing followed by compulsory abortion for those who fail... [evil]

Oddquine
05-Dec-13, 19:36

But then...a part of the reason there are not enough jobs for under 21s is that retiring age has been, and will continue to increase..and we have people working in full time jobs well past even the current increased retirement age. What else could be expected when age discrimination only appears to apply to older people? In my young days, people retired, left their job and it was then available for someone else. Sure many were filled by people moving from other jobs.....but in the end there was a vacancy to be filled by someone starting out in work. Under 21s are sairer needing some positive discrimination in this economy than people wanting to work past retiring age.

Companies are already cheapskates.....if they weren't......we wouldn't be subsidising their profits with all those in work credits we dish out to their employees.

mi16
05-Dec-13, 19:42
You've gotta die sometime

Big Gaz
05-Dec-13, 20:40
Theres also the issue of 5 years employers NI contributions less in your pension pot for when/if you do manage to retire.

tonkatojo
05-Dec-13, 21:31
Yes, it is about productivity!

Not to mention profit, folk on the bru cannot get call center jobs now unless they enroll as an "apprentice", now I wonder why that is.

tonkatojo
05-Dec-13, 21:36
Theres also the issue of 5 years employers NI contributions less in your pension pot for when/if you do manage to retire.

I think you need 30 weeks going up to 35 weeks to qualify for state pension, but your right the kids will be shy five years employers contribution.

mi16
05-Dec-13, 21:52
Not to mention profit, folk on the bru cannot get call center jobs now unless they enroll as an "apprentice", now I wonder why that is.If it wasn't for profit there would be few jobs

tonkatojo
05-Dec-13, 22:08
If it wasn't for profit there would be few jobs

Nah you got it wrong, they won't employ folk as ordinary employees now, they have to take up "apprenticeship". The reason is profit orientated in as they get government kick backs and now no nat ins. My nephews lad wanted to leave school and get a job but was told he couldn't take an ordinary paying job it had to be min wage for his age or one of these "apprenticeships", in other words slave labour, why is the likes of the pound shops/supermarkets offering "apprenticeships" shelf stacking.

mi16
05-Dec-13, 22:13
Nah you got it wrong, they won't employ folk as ordinary employees now, they have to take up "apprenticeship". The reason is profit orientated in as they get government kick backs and now no nat ins. My nephews lad wanted to leave school and get a job but was told he couldn't take an ordinary paying job it had to be min wage for his age or one of these "apprenticeships", in other words slave labour, why is the likes of the pound shops/supermarkets offering "apprenticeships" shelf stacking.Unfortunately non skilled work normally will only pay the minimum wage

squidge
07-Dec-13, 00:31
Its the employees contributions that matter when weighing up whether someone qualifies for a full pension or not.