PDA

View Full Version : Call Kay Adams BBC Scotland Radio

golach
04-Dec-13, 10:22
Sorry ywindythe second, you lost that one [lol] You mentioned the word Nuclear, not good

ywindythesecond
04-Dec-13, 21:30
Sorry ywindythe second, you lost that one [lol] You mentioned the word Nuclear, not good

How do you work that one out Golach?

golach
04-Dec-13, 23:30
How do you work that one out Golach?

You cannot compare lovely clean wind power with nuclear power, Wind power 1 ywindy 0, your arguments against wind power did not work this morning

ywindythesecond
05-Dec-13, 00:01
You cannot compare lovely clean wind power with nuclear power, Wind power 1 ywindy 0, your arguments against wind power did not work this morning

Call Kaye is not exactly a discussion forum where proponents are allowed to put their case, opponents put theirs, and a discussion follows. It is a series of sound bites randomly selected by Kaye. It would be foolish to think it was serious discussion although serious points were made.
Over the last 24 hours, about 18% of your electricity came from nuclear power. If you feel strongly about not having nuclear generated electricity, you should ration your electricity intake so you do not benefit from it. When you have done this, you can claim to hold the moral high ground. Until then ..............

Kenn
05-Dec-13, 00:26
Now, now lads, with the tariffs about to change we might all have a new perspective before long.

golach
05-Dec-13, 00:28
[QUOTE=ywindythesecond;1059219]Call Kaye is not exactly a discussion forum where proponents are allowed to put their case, opponents put theirs, and a discussion follows. It is a series of sound bites randomly selected by Kaye. It would be foolish to think it was serious discussion although serious points were made./QUOTE]

why take part then? Its not the first time I have heard you on your soap box on that show

Oddquine
05-Dec-13, 00:44
Think the problem of wind power versus anything else in Scotland has been solved.......Westminster has taken back Scottish parliament's powers in respect of renewables obligation in Scotland. Devolved power is power retained.....wonder what is going to be removed by Westminster next! :confused

ywindythesecond
05-Dec-13, 00:46
[QUOTE=ywindythesecond;1059219]Call Kaye is not exactly a discussion forum where proponents are allowed to put their case, opponents put theirs, and a discussion follows. It is a series of sound bites randomly selected by Kaye. It would be foolish to think it was serious discussion although serious points were made./QUOTE]

why take part then? Its not the first time I have heard you on your soap box on that show

I hope that someone somewhere heard something today from me or the other contributors that made them think and examine their own understanding of energy policy in uk. For example, by asking where will the new investment come from for putting the emphasis on offshore wind?

Lizz,
This is simply another fudge. Things have got worse, not better, because Government has not tackled the root cause of our energy problem which is Government Policy.
When I was a lad of 12 or 13 I would cycle from the east end of Glasgow to Drymen and Aberfoyle and back by Strathendrick on a boneshaker bike with an inner tube which was mostly puncture repairs. Half a dozen repairs a trip at least. But I couldn't afford a new tube so when the original repair leaked, a new patch went on and when that leaked a new patch went on and when..etc. Eventually I spent much more on patches than a new tyre would have cost. That is UK energy policy, and this latest is just another patch.

Moira
05-Dec-13, 00:48
Call Kaye is not exactly a discussion forum where proponents are allowed to put their case, opponents put theirs, and a discussion follows. It is a series of sound bites randomly selected by Kaye. It would be foolish to think it was serious discussion although serious points were made.
Over the last 24 hours, about 18% of your electricity came from nuclear power. If you feel strongly about not having nuclear generated electricity, you should ration your electricity intake so you do not benefit from it. When you have done this, you can claim to hold the moral high ground. Until then ..............

Glad you said that ywindy.

I live and work in Caithness. I also drive around Caithness & Sutherland and beyond. The wind farms are springing up everywhere now and becoming more intrusive every day. I don't like this and them one bit.

I didn't hear the broadcast but would rather listen to someone who lives in our Community. :-)

cptdodger
05-Dec-13, 01:32
Wind Farms do'nt actually bother me. My question is, with the amount of turbines we have, do we actually benefit from having them here? I certainly have not noticed cheaper electricity bills. So where does all the energy they are creating go?

Anfield
05-Dec-13, 11:02
Wind Farms do'nt actually bother me. My question is, with the amount of turbines we have, do we actually benefit from having them here? I certainly have not noticed cheaper electricity bills. So where does all the energy they are creating go?

France, Germany etc etc

Big Gaz
05-Dec-13, 11:38
All these wind farms on my doorstep in Caithness and yet i still suffer from power cuts. Power was out during the night yet again!

cptdodger
05-Dec-13, 12:04
France, Germany etc etc

Really? I suppose then I can understand people's opposition to them if there is no benefit to us. I'm the same Big Gaz, lost power last night, and it's coming and going this morning.

badger
05-Dec-13, 12:11
All these wind farms on my doorstep in Caithness and yet i still suffer from power cuts. Power was out during the night yet again!

Expect it was too windy. You have to remember that turbines are very temperamental - they don't like too much wind, they don't like not enough wind and when they are working well and generating too much up here they have to be switched off because there's nowhere for the electricity to go. Yet they go on building them.

ywindythesecond
06-Dec-13, 00:55
Did it wake you up when it happened? The cut is unlikely to be caused by windfarms and more likely to be caused by trees too close to power lines. Or by whoever it is that arranges for us to have the occasional storm.