PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants

Lou18
22-Mar-05, 13:07
Can anybody recommend a good restaurant in Inverness?

I've no type of food in mind so any suggestions would be appreciated?

philupmaboug
22-Mar-05, 14:21
Nico's down along the river. Cross over from foxes with the castle on your left and go along the river, nice seafood platter if you can eat it all. Gordon Ramsay was there recently.

katarina
22-Mar-05, 15:28
River house on the north side of the river - definately! He cooks it fresh and before your eyes! the menu is a bit different too.

squidge
22-Mar-05, 15:32
I like

The mustard Seed - although someone complained the portions were small last time they went. I find it can be a bit noisy when busy

Il Palio - Good Italien based meals not badly priced and pleasant surroundings

Riva - had a couple of nice meals there - continental style food again nice surroundings

Cinnamon or the Rajah - had nice indian food at both these places. Rajah is a more Typical indian restaraunt whilst cinnamon is more modern

Other people have recommended the steak place above the Gellens. Nicos has also been recommended and the fish restaraunt on the other side of the river to the Mustard Seed.

Smee2
22-Mar-05, 16:06
For a good Pub Grub Meal go to a "FLUKE"

Be warned if ye go on a Fri or Sat night you are gonna have to book :D

~~Tides~~
22-Mar-05, 17:31
Dickens, near the Ramda Jarvis hotel (forgotten the name of that street) is the best resterant in Inverness. It has won awards and stuff. :D (and the food was magic)

katarina
22-Mar-05, 22:44
I have been to a lot of restaurants in Inverness and i can't say I've ever had a bad meal. They are all excellent! Take your pick - you can't go wrong. If anyone knows different - let us know which ones to avoid.

EJS
23-Mar-05, 10:58
Don't go to Cinnamon - my husband has a stomach of iron - can eat anything and he ended up as sick as a dog after we ate there. The chicken was obviously not cooked right.

If you want Indian try Shapla or The Raj - both are miles better than Cinnamon.

dragonfly
23-Mar-05, 11:09
Iguana Wana does great Mexican meals and has "unusual" decor, esp in the toilets! took me back to my childhood!

19 Queensgate - opposite Post Office, entrance bit hard to find, its just a door with stairs down to it

squidge
23-Mar-05, 13:23
Iguana Wana is a great place for a lot of fun. I wouldnt choose it for a quiet dinner for two though. We went one night a pile of us and had their party platters - it was great fun and we had a super time

A_Usher
23-Mar-05, 14:39
Isnt Iguana Wana closed now?

dragonfly
23-Mar-05, 15:50
hopefully not! Haven't been there so far this year! going to inverness tomorrow night and had planned on eating there so will find out soon enough

doreenhedgehog
23-Mar-05, 16:47
Shapla Tandoori (?) looking across the river. Great Indian food.
Kongs for Chinese.

Don't go to Dickens it's gone downhill a lot over the last few years. Was shut down a couple of years back by hygene people, so we thought we'd try it after it re-opened thinking that's the best time to try any restaurant, but the food was really poor.

squidge
23-Mar-05, 17:35
ooh yes the shapla is great

I had a poor meal at dickins too.
In addition I dont rate any of the chinese restaraunts in Inverness im afraid thats one area that is truly lacking

~~Tides~~
23-Mar-05, 18:49
Well, the meal I had in Dickens a couple of weeks ago was fantastic, relly good. And everyone else agreed. And its not a just a chineese resteraunt.
Is the deep pan pizza place still open, it was brilliant.

fender
23-Mar-05, 19:01
For good plain food at a reasonable cost I find it very hard to beat the Castle Street Restaurant.

KitKat
23-Mar-05, 22:44
If you want something different but fairly expensive then try Chez Christophe in Ardross St. Its the kind of place you would only go to for a really special event cos I think its about £30 per person but the food is sensational.

The Snow Goose is okay if you want quick and easy.

The Lochardl Hotel and the Marriot do some nice meals too.

wicker
24-Mar-05, 13:46
i find burger king to be the best when i go to inverness :lol:

kenimac1
25-Mar-05, 17:47
Rajah, downstairs behind Post Office is good for Indian and the Snowgoose beside the retail park is good pub grub. Jimmy Changs is good cheap Chinese buffet.

Bobinovich
25-Mar-05, 21:51
We were recently at the Shapla and the food was superb - more than we could eat which is saying something!

A few years ago I went to a place called Littlejohn's - does anyone know if it's still open?

The Deep Pan Pizza Company is no longer however, noticed it was empty last weekend. It's probably lost out to the small Pizza Hut in the new part of the Eastgate - or the big one on the outskirts.

For anyone who likes Pentangle, you're going to be sad to know it's closing too. Shame - many a stocking filler was found amongst it's strange and varied offerings.

Playgirl
26-Mar-05, 12:49
id recomend Dickens too i got there quite often the food there is great and they are so polite! Just across from Wetherspoons. :D