PDA

View Full Version : Founders Day Service - Sunday 18/02/07 - 2:30

macleod_callum
15-Feb-07, 14:42
2007 - Centenary Year of Scouting.

On Sunday (18/02/07) Wick Scout Group will be celebrating founders day but also the groups history.

We would like to invite all former scouts, friends of the group and anyone who has an interest in scouting to join us at Wick Old Parish Church at 2:15pm for a short service led by Harry Gray and an address by Major Dunnet followed by a reunion.

We would be delighted to see as many people there as possible.

For more information please either call 07845237672 or email macleod_callum@homail.com

Many thanks

Callum Macleod
Wick Scout Group

trinkie
15-Feb-07, 19:52
I have sent this on to a couple of old Wick Scouts ( yes Old !! )

If you know of anyone who would be interested why dont you do the same - I'm sure they would hate to miss such an occasion !

macleod_callum
15-Feb-07, 20:31
This would also be a opportunity for anyone who is interested in their child to join the group to come along and meet the rest of the group and the whole leader team.

-Trinkie do you have a child in the group??

Callum Macleod
Wick Scout Group

trinkie
16-Feb-07, 08:31
No, I dont have a child in your Group - not even a grandchild !
We no longer live in Caithness !

My father was a great Wick Boy Scout. He told me he was the first Kings Scout in Wick. His picture is on most of your old photographs usually playing in the Pipe Band.

Good luck with your special Day, I hope you have a good turn out.

Trinkie

Fraser Macleod
17-Feb-07, 18:52
A copy of the letter from the paper.

Scout movement's 100 years of friendship and citizenship
Published: 09 February, 2007
SIR – The Wick Scouts are looking forward to celebrating 100 years of Scouting, which is now a worldwide movement. Our first event is a service in Wick Old Parish Church on Sunday, February 18, at 2.30pm.

This date is picked because it is close to what Scouts call Founder's Day and Guides call Thinking Day, which was the birthday of both Robert Baden-Powell, who founded Scouting, and his wife Olave, the first Chief Guide. It is not (as my grown-up relatives used to imply when I was a Guide) the only day of the year when Guides do any thinking, but is the day when Scouts and Guides worldwide are asked to think about all the other young people of all nationalities and beliefs who accept the same promise as themselves. It is to do with friendship and citizenship.
The group hopes that as many people as possible who have had any connection with the Scout and Guide movements will join them on the 18th for the service and for the social event in the church hall afterwards. It would be really good if the Scouts, Cubs and Beavers of today's group could get together with those who were the Scouts of past days.
Garry Robertson
Fraser Macleod

dirdyweeker
18-Feb-07, 22:48
Went to this service today and enjoyed it very much. Awards presented to people who have obviously given a lot of their time to help young people......some of them still young themselves! Harry Gray I think would have appealed to a lot of the young ones when he mentioned a few famous Scouts from years gone by. Cliff Richard, David Beckham and George Michael to name but a few.
Well done to those Scouts and Leaders who were awarded today for their input.:)

rfr10
18-Feb-07, 22:50
It would have helped if we had walked up the stairs with the flags at the right time :D And I appologise for my runny nose when I was reading.:confused

Great time though.

dirdyweeker
18-Feb-07, 22:54
It would have helped if we had walked up the stairs with the flags at the right time :D And I appologise for my runny nose when I was reading.

Thought the flag bearers were perfect. I for one never noticed anything wrong. The wee 'beaver' boy was lovely!

Never heard the sniffs...:lol: I believe the cake tasted good!!

rfr10
18-Feb-07, 22:59
Thought the flag bearers were perfect. I for one never noticed anything wrong. The wee 'beaver' boy was lovely!

Never heard the sniffs...:lol: I believe the cake tasted good!!

Don't know if you noticed but we were standing in a line on the stairs for a while which we weren't supposed to be doing .. oops..

Oh well that's ok then :P Yes, the cake tasted good :D

rfr10
18-Feb-07, 23:11
Hopefully the pictures will be up soon.

macleod_callum
19-Feb-07, 13:44
Back in Aberdeen now.

Would like to say thanks to everyone who turned up for the service.

Also a big thanks to Wick Old Parish Church for the use of the building and to all those that helped before and on the day.

(Sorry Bill for getting in the way every time you tried to take a picture)

Callum Macleod