PDA

View Full Version : Carer's Allowence.

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 10:34
Received an email on Tuesday informing me of a government petion to increase the level of carer's allowence to a realistic rate As the closing date is the17th of this month and I had heard nothing about it,even although its been going since November,thought I'd post it here.
If it concerns you or someone you know please sign it.If we stopped our caring role then society wouldn't cope with the demand on services.It is a proper job and should be recognised as such.:D

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 10:52
Whoops it helps if I give you the link.:lol:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/caring/
Thanks Alice.

topotheuk
15-Feb-07, 11:57
Just signed it, thanx. My dad is a carer for his mother, but now he is retired his carer's allowance has stopped. So now that he is poorer in retirement they take his allowance off him????? you would have thought that he needed it now more than ever.

Angela
15-Feb-07, 12:15
Just signed it, thanx. My dad is a carer for his mother, but now he is retired his carer's allowance has stopped. So now that he is poorer in retirement they take his allowance off him????? you would have thought that he needed it now more than ever.

That is so unfair, but why doesn't it surprise me? [evil]

I've signed the petition as well.

crashbandicoot1979
15-Feb-07, 12:57

My mum is in a similar situation. She is a carer for my disabled sister but doesn't receive carers allowance because of her pension. iIt makes no sense whatsoever. I've signed the petition though, because those who do actually receive it, definitely deserve it.

kwbrown111
15-Feb-07, 13:38
The bit about that i think is stupid is that if you are on income support also the carers allowance is taken off that.

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 14:02
The bit about that i think is stupid is that if you are on income support also the carers allowance is taken off that.
Now thats because the powers that be see it as your income from a job and is taxable if required.Your national insurance stamp is also paid if you receive carer's allowence.
can you not receive carer's allowence for someone if your retired.?:confused

Penelope Pitstop
15-Feb-07, 14:09
Received an email on Tuesday informing me of a government petion to increase the level of carer's allowence to a realistic rate As the closing date is the17th of this month and I had heard nothing about it,even although its been going since November,thought I'd post it here.
If it concerns you or someone you know please sign it.If we stopped our caring role then society wouldn't cope with the demand on services.It is a proper job and should be recognised as such.:D

Good work cuddlepop. I've just signed it. Unfortunately there are only just over 2000 signatures on it just now.

The amount a carer gets is scandalous. Should the person being cared for be in hospital or a residential home it would cost the Government mega bucks. Instead of looking after carers they take them for granted.

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 15:47
Good work cuddlepop. I've just signed it. Unfortunately there are only just over 2000 signatures on it just now.

The amount a carer gets is scandalous. Should the person being cared for be in hospital or a residential home it would cost the Government mega bucks. Instead of looking after carers they take them for granted.
Thank you for your support.Its awful that this petition hasn't been more widely circulated:mad:

North Rhins
15-Feb-07, 16:18
I’ve just signed the petition. I’m waiting for my carer’s allowance to come through, been looking after the missus for nearly twelve months now. I know every little bit helps, but £46 a week is not a lot.

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 16:48
Whar really makes me made that as a paid carer for the council etc I would get over £6 an hour and be entitled to sick pay and holiday pay.As a carer I am entitled to £46 per week and thats it.You work out the horly rate ,its pennys.:(
If your sick you just have to get on with it and holidays,whats that.:mad:

Fran
15-Feb-07, 17:00
I dont know much about carers allowance, what is it for and how much do you get? I am caring foor someone now.

Angela
15-Feb-07, 17:25
Thought I'd just mention Disability Living Allowance, in case there's anyone following the thread that it might apply to, or who knows someone who could qualify for it but might not be getting it.

It's not payable to carers, but to people with a disability that means they need care and/or have mobility restrictions.

I believe - but am not certain - that you have to have been suffering from the disability for 2 months before you can apply, and expect to have the disabilty for a further 6 months, although the award is usually backdated to the time the disability began. :confused

There's a form you can download online. There's usually a delay of a month or more until a doctor comes to see you for a short meeting/very brief examination to assess how your disability affects your everyday life. There are two levels of award for mobility and (I think) three for care, depending on your needs.

I must say I'm not sure if this award applies to people over pensionable age, but if you get it below that age it doesn't affect income support/incapacity benefit. It's also not means tested, so it isn't affected by any savings you might have.

I don't know though if it would affect a carer's allowance paid to a family member looking after the disabled person. :confused

Not sure if this is of any help but there may be someone out there who knows someone who could benefit from getting DLA....

North Rhins
15-Feb-07, 17:34
The wife and I have been through the mill regarding DLA, both motobility and care component. The one very valuable lesson we both learnt was don’t fill in any paperwork, claim forms etc before first going to the Citizens Advice bureau. Without these unsung heroes, the wife and I would have got nothing. They sat down with us and filled out the forms and even represented us at a tribunal. They are wonderful people and I cannot thank them enough.

Angela
15-Feb-07, 17:54
The wife and I have been through the mill regarding DLA, both motobility and care component. The one very valuable lesson we both learnt was don’t fill in any paperwork, claim forms etc before first going to the Citizens Advice bureau. Without these unsung heroes, the wife and I would have got nothing. They sat down with us and filled out the forms and even represented us at a tribunal. They are wonderful people and I cannot thank them enough.

That's very true.
My daughter got in touch with them at a very difficult time for me and they were so helpful. :)

cuddlepop
15-Feb-07, 18:37
Have found out the hard way,use the CAB:D thats what they are there for.

Penelope Pitstop
15-Feb-07, 19:54

North Rhins
This is excellent advice, anyone planning on claiming DLA shouldn't attempt it on their own - the forms are a nightmare. I've known many people who have been so stressed out by the whole process - not good on top of a disability to cope with. CAB would certainly have the experience to help.

Angela
15-Feb-07, 20:04
North Rhins
This is excellent advice, anyone planning on claiming DLA shouldn't attempt it on their own - the forms are a nightmare. I've known many people who have been so stressed out by the whole process - not good on top of a disability to cope with. CAB would certainly have the experience to help.

PP & North Rhins -you're quite right, the DLA form is a difficult one. :roll:

The questions are slanted towards the criteria that the allowances are based on...and the precise wording of your answers will go a good way towards determining whether you get the allowance or not.

Sorry -it was perhaps irresponsible of me to post about the DLA - but I know quite a lot of people who just never knew it existed. I was advised to claim it after a serious illness last year left me unable to do much at all for some time ...and I was perhaps fortunate that everything went surprisingly smoothly for me. In comparison with other benefits I had to claim! :confused

scorrie
15-Feb-07, 22:10
Carer's Allowance is a scandal. I gave up my job to look after my wife and cannot get a penny, even though I meet all the criteria. I am barred under the over-lapping benefit rule. How can I be expected to hold down a job when I am looking after someone for the required 35 hrs a week? Even if you have a job, you have to earn less than £84 a week to qualify.

I used to work for the CAB and found that nearly all people were unable to get this elusive benefit. To add insult to injury, if you can receive the benefit you are rewarded with a payment that works out at £1.34 per hour for your 35 hours. I wonder how many MPs would get out of their beds in the morning for that princely rate of payment.

Absolute disgrace!!

These links might help anyone interested in applying.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/DG_10012525

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CaringForSomeone/MoneyMatters/DG_10012529

Bill Fernie
16-Feb-07, 16:36
Can I also draw attention to the section on Attendance Allowance on the same web site quoted above -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10012438

cuddlepop
16-Feb-07, 19:55
Thank you for making this sticky for a wee while.
Closing date for petition is the 17th,which is tomorrow.Dont know if that means it closes midnight tonight or tomorrow midnight.signatures stand at 2,287.
Considering the numbers of carer's there are in this country it seems a very small percentage.:~(