PDA

View Full Version : Yet another waste of police time

Goldfish
20-Mar-05, 16:50
Hunting down the ever increasing criminals seems to have to Northern Constabulary yet again wasting their time on petty crime if this is a crime.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050319/17/fek3d.html they obviously don’t have enough motorists to hound in Orkney or any other easy catches.

Playgirl
20-Mar-05, 18:32
That is absolutly ridiculous, they are supposed to be getting the criminals who mug old ladies and rob peoples houses but they chase motorist for a dead tail light or a bald tire. They are useless.

Rheghead
20-Mar-05, 19:40
That is absolutly ridiculous, they are supposed to be getting the criminals who mug old ladies and rob peoples houses but they chase motorist for a dead tail light or a bald tire. They are useless.

Hmmmm? I wonder how many lives have been saved by road traffic law enforcement? Unquantifiable, I guess?

If a kiddy ran out in front of a car that had bald tyres and was killed. Do you think there will be many lamentations to the effect of 'It is a God-send she wasn't kidnapped instead. We will have to credit the police for their pro-active zero tolerance sex fiend policy'? :roll:

2little2late
20-Mar-05, 20:32

So what you're saying is, the police have to sit around waiting for more serious crimes to establish? If there were no other crimes to attend to on Orkney then why not find out what was going on. After all he has broken the law. Stuff old viking laws, we are in the year2005.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Mar-05, 21:28
So what you're saying is, the police have to sit around waiting for more serious crimes to establish? If there were no other crimes to attend to on Orkney then why not find out what was going on. After all he has broken the law. Stuff old viking laws, we are in the year2005.

Has he though?

Quote from article

The case was proven in 1910 by a Kirkwall lawyer who, accompanied by his friend, the Procurator-Fiscal, went out to Harray Loch and shot a swan. The case went to the High Court and the Crown lost.

Nowadays, Orcadians do not shoot swans, but the principles of the old Norse Udal Law still stand.

end quote

Where do I find out which old laws are no longer valid? Or do they stand until they get modernised

jimag
20-Mar-05, 22:22
The law about swans is an English one. It was made long before the union and surely does not apply in Orkney. Anyway is Hydro Electric being charged, afterall it was their overhead cables that killed the swan. Or was it a wind turbine??

RIR
20-Mar-05, 22:53
Just to clarify:

The Mute Swan, under British Law, (I won't go into the Udal bit :D ) is considered the property of the Queen.

The Whooper Swan, the bird in question, is an Icelandic breeding bird that is a protected species. Nothing to do with the Queen.

Ian.

brandy
21-Mar-05, 08:03
ok maybe this is the american in me ... but its a bird for crying out loud.. fine theirs a law against shooting them.. thats fine.. they are a protected animal and therefor can not be hunted.. it wasnt hunted it was found dead.. so what he decided to eat it?
IT IS A BIRD!! whats next you cant eat chicken cause its reserved for the royals?
ever heard of a democracy?
im guessing since God personally chooces who sits upon the thrown *gag cough*
that He decreed certain things may only be served to those he deems most worthy? :roll:
why are they harassing that old man?
my poor little american mind just cant get around it! sighs and goes off into her little dream world..

katarina
21-Mar-05, 09:37
I'm with you Brandy - another example of good old british justice! I wonder if the is case will go to court to be paid for by the tax payer. If it does, the old man should get RIR to be his lawyer, as he seems to know more about it than our upholders of the law.

Zael
21-Mar-05, 10:05
The sooner we've rid our country of the royal family, the better.

If the bird is protected, what gives the queen the right to eat it? Is the royal family allowed to bend and break whatever law they see fit or is it just the queen.

Rheghead
21-Mar-05, 10:16
I doubt if the Queen has ever tried it.

I have a medieval recipe somewhere in the hoose for cooking swan. I will try to dig it out if anyone is interested?

fred
21-Mar-05, 10:49
IT IS A BIRD!! whats next you cant eat chicken cause its reserved for the royals?
ever heard of a democracy?

It isn't just swans, there's whales as well, every whale in British waters, including dead
ones washed up on the beach, are the property of the crown I believe.

Rheghead
21-Mar-05, 10:53
And salmon I think?

00Smee
21-Mar-05, 10:58
Seriously, who cares? It's a flipping swan, if the man is hungry let him smee!

smee
21-Mar-05, 10:59
Are they still allowed to hang sheep rustlers under the old laws??? or is it just sheep worriers?

katarina
21-Mar-05, 14:01
seems like the law of certain species only belonging to the royal family has been left over from medieval times. For goodness sake, there would be a real royal hulubuloo if these dead whales and swans were delived to the doorstep of buckingham palace - Here you are, Queenie, they belong to you - do with them what you will! Alternatively, since these creatures belong to her, why is she not sent a bill for their disposal? And surely dead swans are better in some one's belly than left to rot in the countryside. The mannie should be paid for removing it.

Smee2
22-Mar-05, 10:53
Swans are protected under royal decree. WHALES dinna seem til belong til anybody but if ye want til deliver a dead one til a Queen I can see you having a very large logistical problem.

1. Who do you get to deliver it?
2. Delivery charges will be very expensive?
3. Will a Royal Guard allow you to deliver it?
4. Who's gonna sign for it?

Donnie
22-Mar-05, 11:34
The police did not know the bird had been killed by power lines, for all they knew the guy could of shot the bird himself. They acted as they are meant to do and I don't think they can be criticised for it.

jjc
22-Mar-05, 14:59
I'm with Donnie on this one.

This talk of swans being the property of the crown is simply a amusing diversion. He's not being investigated for stealing the Queen's bird, he's being investigated under the Wildlife and Countryside Act because the swan in question is a protected species.

As for this being a 'waste of police time'. What utter nonsense. The killing of a protected species is against the law. That you do not consider it a 'real' crime, Goldfish, is beside the point. You don't get to choose which crimes the police enforce and which they don't.

Rheghead
22-Mar-05, 20:58
How come Swans get killed by power lines while starlings can quite happily sit on them? Or are they prone to be killed by a non electrical means? Could it be the swan died by some other way?

Naefearjustbeer
22-Mar-05, 21:36
How come Swans get killed by power lines while starlings can quite happily sit on them? Or are they prone to be killed by a non electrical means? Could it be the swan died by some other way?

They dont get electrocuted unless they connect accross a supply, A starling sitting on a power line is only touching one side and there is no route to earth for the current to pass through them. Swans get killed because they fly into the line and kill themselves by breaking the neck or some other vital appendage,

fred
22-Mar-05, 23:11
[quote="Smee2"]Swans are protected under royal decree. WHALES dinna seem til belong til anybody but if ye want til deliver a dead one til a Queen I can see you having a very large logistical problem.

Both whales and sturgeon caught or stranded in UK waters are crown property under the statute De Prerogativa Regis 1324, c 13.

There was a time when a stranded whale was worth a lot of money. In the days before
electricity and gas people lit their houses with oil lamps and candles and you could
get a lot of oil and tallow from a whale. The meat could be salted and eaten, there was
a lot of whale meat eaten in the war, hence the Vera Lynn song. Even the bones were
valuable, especially the flexible ones in the tail and fins which they made ladies underwear
out of.

Smee2
24-Mar-05, 16:46
= fred "Both whales and sturgeon caught or stranded in UK waters are crown property under the statute De Prerogativa Regis 1324, c 13."

The words life and get spring to mind!!! :o)

Donnie
24-Mar-05, 17:09
The words life and get spring to mind!!! :o)

That was pretty quick thinking, only took two days!

Goldfish
24-Mar-05, 22:18
On a slightly similar note, should you happen to shoot a stag you will find various bodies trying to take you to court for shooting his stag.

However if you were unfortunate and have one land on the bonnet of your car, try getting the owner of the stag to pay up and you will find them all telling you that that stag does not belong to me.

fred
24-Mar-05, 23:32
On a slightly similar note, should you happen to shoot a stag you will find various bodies trying to take you to court for shooting his stag.

However if you were unfortunate and have one land on the bonnet of your car, try getting the owner of the stag to pay up and you will find them all telling you that that stag does not belong to me.

Ah but the stag belongs to whoever owns the land it is on, so if the stag lands on your
bonnet when you are on the Queens Highway...