PDA

View Full Version : Thurso in todays Scotsman

peter macdonald
14-Feb-07, 14:37
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=237052007

maybe they should have asked asked some farmer/crofters and gone to Scrabster and spoke to some fishermen as well as the down town Thurso sample to gain a more balanced view of what are the views within the area
Maybe its just me but this is lazy journalism done on the cheap

The Pepsi Challenge
14-Feb-07, 14:51
They begged me to do it, simply begged me :)

cliffhbuber
14-Feb-07, 15:10
The article from The Scotsman was intriguing, as were the many comments posted following the article.
What is the mindset of an 'Old Family' Scot today?
Those of us living in remote areas may always feel neglected by the governemnt. Is this human nature reacting? Do we consider living in a land of beauty and relative isolation a reasonable trade-off to living in large cities closer to the political decision making?
Do those living in the Highlands have a sense of a larger Scot community, sense of communion with the descendants of many many Scots who emigrated overseas?
Do those living in Caithness view themselves as notably different than those in other parts of the Highlands?
Have demographics changed the historical nature of those in Caithness?

.....learning in progress...of a Scot descendant living near Fort William and Loch Lomond in Ontario Canada

cuddlepop
14-Feb-07, 18:39
When they came to Portree we spoke to them as did many others and found our comments to have been similar to many others.Identification was easy.
This report from Thurso appears to be so different from the other areas they've been too.There's no common vien running through.
HAs it given the wrong view of people living in Thurso? Do the non locals feel more "at peace with ones self" and the locals disgruntled.:(