PDA

View Full Version : police make presence felt, ?????

riggerboy
24-Nov-13, 06:26
Police Increase Enforcement On Drug Checks and Bail Curfews

21/11/2013

Police report success over three day anti-violence initiative across Highlands and Islands.

Police in the Highlands and Islands are reporting the success of a three day operation deterring and detecting violent and anti-social behaviour last week.

The ongoing anti-violence initiative, known as Operation Respect, saw officers conduct high visibility patrols and visits to licensed premises across the Highlands and Islands between last Thursday and Saturday (14-16 November 2013) with the objective to deter violent and anti-social behaviour, and to provide reassurance to local communities.

Police officers carried out eight searches, three of which were positive for drugs, three anti-social fixed penalties given for minor street offences and ten individuals being reported to the Procurator Fiscal in connection with disorder and road traffic offences, with three from custody. Eighteen road traffic offences were also detected.

Over the three days officers visited 459 licensed premises and carried out 32 bail curfew checks. Eight warrant checks were also carried out with one resulting in an arrest.

One notable aspect of the three day initiative was the introduction of the Force Flexible Policing Unit. The newly formed unit consisting of one Sergeant and six Police Constables has been established with the remit of tackling anti-social behaviour and incidents of violence across the whole of the Highland and Islands Division.

Chief Inspector Mark Mackay said: "Police Scotland would like to thank the licensees, staff and patrons for their positive engagement and support to our officers who visited numerous pubs, clubs and bars across the Division.

"I am convinced that this type of police activity makes a significant contribution to keeping people safe across our communities and will be particularly relevant as we move towards the busy festive period.”

is this not what they get paid for, they should be walking the beat everyday, when i was a lad the police were out and about all day and night, not sat in a warm cozy station for the best part of a shift, get them out there more often and show the law in force

Mrs Bradey
24-Nov-13, 08:55
I agree. but there are not enough officers, when this kind of operation takes place many of the officers will be on overtime. it is also likely there will be even less officers available .

ducati
24-Nov-13, 09:18
Strikes me, if there are not enough officers to police, what else are they doing instead? :confused

RagnarRocks
24-Nov-13, 09:28
Strikes me, if there are not enough officers to police, what else are they doing instead? :confusedWell if you want that answering you'll have to fill in forms lots of forms have a few cuppas maybe a sarnie then sit in your car for a few hours then fill in some more forms. Maybe then you'll get some semblance of an answer :0))

Phill
24-Nov-13, 10:39
Couple of stories I've heard from the rozzers mouth:

Vehicles have been reduced to save cash, CID officers now share 1 vehicle to sometimes 4 or 5 officers. Unless their respective investigations are next to each other the majority of them spend time waiting for one of their colleagues to finish their witness statement / investigation etc. which can take some time.
So they save on vehicle rent (£200 per month) but pay 4 feds to sit about doing nothing for 80% of their day. Roughly costing £60 -£70 per HOUR for four rozzers eating doughnuts.

The govt's and respective police forces commitment not to cut 'front line' staff means the support staff have been laid off instead. Among these are the peeps that type up the interviews recorded in police custody. One Sergeant (and many other ranks) now spends most of his time doing this instead of out nicking perps, as without these written up there is no court case on which to get a conviction. So he's paid £40K NOT to arrest people.

Nice work if you can get it!

orkneycadian
24-Nov-13, 12:19
So.

3 drugs offences
3 anti-social offences
10 disorder / road traffic offences (although there are then, slightly confusingly) a further 18 road traffic offences mentioned.

Now, can I predict that the drug offenders will all be let off, the anti-social offenders will get a token fine, which they can pay off over the next umpteen years and the road offenders will get stiff fines, penalties and points with immediate effect?

It surprises me that 10 or 18 people were using vehicles in a "violent" manner, or did they just happen to be easy pickings for the usual things like seatbelts, mobile phone use, 31mph in a 30, etc?

special tartan
24-Nov-13, 13:07
Have none of you any faith in Her Majesties finest .

sids
24-Nov-13, 13:14
So.

seatbelts, mobile phone use, 31mph in a 30, etc?

I've never found it difficult to avoid commiting these offences.

orkneycadian
24-Nov-13, 14:13
Have none of you any faith in Her Majesties finest .

Is not so much the coppers, but the legal system behind them. Druggies will get let off, as they have no money anyway. But if you can afford a car, you can afford a fine. So it looks more like its been the usual revenue raising exercise as opposed to targeting violence. Unless anyone caught not wearing a seatbelt was doing so in a violent manner....

Gronnuck
24-Nov-13, 19:27
Police Scotland will try and tell you everything is fine and dandy, but the truth is there's not enough boots on the ground to do the job effectively, nor are there enough vehicles to move officers to where they're needed. The judicial system operates a 'revolving door' system where the same low-lifes cause mayhem, sucking resources from social work departments, health and education services. Meanwhile the costs to taxpayers mount up and police morale takes a nose-dive.

Mrs Bradey
24-Nov-13, 20:52
Have none of you any faith in Her Majesties finest . and you have? preserve pig body, etc.