PDA

View Full Version : Dundee

ducati
20-Nov-13, 08:47
Oh o it looks like Dundee is back to being the city of er.. we've got an old boat.

Hull won.

RagnarRocks
20-Nov-13, 08:48
City of Culture more like another excuse to waste lots of money creating things which don't really matter. I wonder how all the money could of been better spent within the communities

jacko
20-Nov-13, 12:13
just a drop in the pan compared the money wasted on illegals , human right s. deportation of terrorists etc.
at least it will bring some money into a community

cptdodger
20-Nov-13, 12:55
Oh o it looks like Dundee is back to being the city of er.. we've got an old boat.

Hull won.

Well, I'm from just outside Dundee (Broughty Ferry) and it meant a lot to us. The word you were looking for Ducati is Discovery. We have a lot more going for us than an "old boat". I think it's safe to say it's thanks to this waste of money called The Referendum, we lost to Hull. After all, you can't be a UK City of Culture if you are no longer part of the UK, can you ?

Mrs Bradey
20-Nov-13, 13:20
Well, I'm from just outside Dundee (Broughty Ferry) and it meant a lot to us. The word you were looking for Ducati is Discovery. We have a lot more going for us than an "old boat". I think it's safe to say it's thanks to this waste of money called The Referendum, we lost to Hull. After all, you can't be a UK City of Culture if you are no longer part of the UK, can you ? nothing tp do with referendum you just lost ! and to Hull ! I know Hull quite well, and if I were you I wouldn't go on about losing to them! and don't worry the UK is forever!

Mrs Bradey
20-Nov-13, 13:22
Oh o it looks like Dundee is back to being the city of er.. we've got an old boat.Hull won. their cakes are nice

cptdodger
20-Nov-13, 13:27
nothing tp do with referendum you just lost ! and to Hull ! I know Hull quite well, and if I were you I wouldn't go on about losing to them! and don't worry the UK is forever!

Who started this thread ?

cptdodger
20-Nov-13, 13:29
Oh, and I was not "going on" about Hull, I was stating a fact.

Kodiak
20-Nov-13, 14:05

Hull won.

Not just one Old Boat........There are Two Old Boats...........The Discovery and The Unicorn.

KarenK
20-Nov-13, 14:14
... the money could of been better spent...

of have

....on education.

jacko
20-Nov-13, 14:44
of have

....on education.

lol [lol]

shazzap
20-Nov-13, 21:55
Kingston Upon Hull, to give it. it's full title. Has good and bad bits like most cities / areas and has some very beautiful buildings. The people, well most of them. Are proud, strong willed and call a spade a spade, and deserve this chance to have something good happening.

RagnarRocks
20-Nov-13, 22:01
of have....on education.Troll :0))

Big Gaz
20-Nov-13, 22:38
nothing tp do with referendum you just lost ! and to Hull ! I know Hull quite well, and if I were you I wouldn't go on about losing to them! and don't worry the UK is forever!

Guess thats a big NO! vote from you then??

orkneycadian
20-Nov-13, 22:45
Isn't Dundee the City of Linoleum?

Big Gaz
20-Nov-13, 22:59
and the Broons and Oor Wullie and Desperate Dan.....

jacko
20-Nov-13, 23:01

textiles n carpets .even Aimers coffee,........I think Dunfermline was of the linoleum fame but if im wrong im sure theres someone here to correct me ?.

And the old boat,s both of them . wonderfull historic object s well worth preserving .And certainly worth viewing .

Theres a lot going on in Dundee along the dock s area and two great shopping malls in the city centre .

golach
20-Nov-13, 23:03

Naw that was Kirkcaldy, Dundee, was most noted for Jute, Jam and Journalism, amongst many other things. One of them was that the people of Dundee chased Winston Churchill and his wife to the railway station in Dundee. He was a Liberal MP for Dundee from 1908 until 1922

mi16
20-Nov-13, 23:06
Naw that was Kirkcaldy, Dundee, was most noted for Jute, Jam and Journalism, amongst many other things.
dont forget jaikies and junkies

golach
20-Nov-13, 23:18
dont forget jaikies and junkies

Plenty of the same in the Highlands and Week

cptdodger
21-Nov-13, 01:37
As Golach says - We are known for (to some, clearly not all) - Jute, Jam And Journalism, two Universities - Dundee and Abertay, two shopping centres, when I was there, three cinemas, one ice rink, as previously mentioned - The Discovery (Captain Scott's Ship) which I watched being brought home in 1986, and The Unicorn, A major teaching hospital - Ninewells, a brand new Victoria and Albert Museum which will be situated on the Waterfront which is going through a 1 billion pound regeneration programme, along with new hotels, housing and so on. I could go on. Yes mi16, Dundee has a problem with drug addicts, as does just about everywhere else in Britain including your precious Caithness, this area is not immune. I could list all of Thurso and Wick's bad points, but unlike certain people on this thread, I have no wish to hurt or insult people that are from this area. So, as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.

mi16
21-Nov-13, 12:10
as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.

good for you

Kodiak
21-Nov-13, 14:47
As Golach says - We are known for (to some, clearly not all) - Jute, Jam And Journalism, two Universities - Dundee and Abertay, two shopping centres, when I was there, three cinemas, one ice rink, as previously mentioned - The Discovery (Captain Scott's Ship) which I watched being brought home in 1986, and The Unicorn, A major teaching hospital - Ninewells, a brand new Victoria and Albert Museum which will be situated on the Waterfront which is going through a 1 billion pound regeneration programme, along with new hotels, housing and so on. I could go on. Yes mi16, Dundee has a problem with drug addicts, as does just about everywhere else in Britain including your precious Caithness, this area is not immune. I could list all of Thurso and Wick's bad points, but unlike certain people on this thread, I have no wish to hurt or insult people that are from this area. So, as you can gather, I'm proud of where I'm from.

I have lived in Caithness for 30 years now, moved here in October 1983. I am originally from Dundee though and both places have their good points as well as some bad points. This is the way of where-ever you live, good and bad points.

Also not forgetting Dundee has two Football Teams, Dundee at Dens Park and Dundee United at Tannadice Park. So there is plenty of action in Dundee for Football Fans.

I have well over 1000 Photographs of Old Dundee some dating back to the 1880's, but here are 3 Photo's from my Youth when I lived in Dundee :-

This is a Pic of "The Swannie Ponds" where I spent of my time during the Summer Holidays in 1958 - 1961
http://i.imgur.com/G6yBM2n.jpg

This is Gussie Park where the Carnival used to set up every year, spent a lot of money here I did, Circa 1960
http://i.imgur.com/ZM10eTT.jpg

Here is Pic of the "Old Wellgate" Circa 1963 just before Christmas.
http://i.imgur.com/W43vAg2.jpg

cptdodger
21-Nov-13, 15:37
I vaguely remember The Wellgate looking like that (I was born in '63). If you have access to Facebook Kodiak, there are two groups - Local Photos (Dundee) and Lost Dundee, both groups have amazing photo's of Dundee on there, going back before The Caird Hall was built.

golach
21-Nov-13, 15:49
Although I was born in Thurso, from 1946 I lived on various farms on the Cars e o Gowrie, went to School in places like Abernyte, Kilspinde, Inchture and finally my secondary at Invergowrie, went to work in 1955 as a Creeler in Thomson and Shepherd's Carpet mill in Taylors Lane , off the Perth Road. I then joined my first ship the MV Broughty a DP&L ship in 1956.
good and some bad memories of Dundee, but sadly I have never found a substitute for a Wallace's ingan Bridie any where on my travels