PDA

View Full Version : Silly me !

Kenn
19-Nov-13, 13:03
I was recently reading through a planning application for a wind farm and was bemused to see that measures had been imposed to protect deer. Now as far as I am aware a Red or Roe Deer has never got airborne so what was it all about?

Realisation suddenly dawned, the festive season approaches and we can't have Dancer and Prancer let alone Donner and Blitzen swept out of the sky.

orkneycadian
20-Nov-13, 22:50
Is there no end to the reasons the anti-wind brigade come up with to try and stop their hated windfarms?

Kenn
22-Nov-13, 01:47
Get a grip orkneycadian or are you a paid up member of The Bah, Humbug Brigade?

Rheghead
22-Nov-13, 12:27
Is there no end to the reasons the anti-wind brigade come up with to try and stop their hated windfarms?

No there isn't.

David Banks
22-Nov-13, 14:30

It would seem fairest to me if all forms of electrical energy production competed "on a level playing field" -- which includes the cost of the transmission infrastructure to handle ALL of the power which can be generated by intermittent sources (such as windfarms), from the generator to the user.

Take a look at the technologies they have to use in Germany to get their offshore windfarms' power distributed.

RagnarRocks
22-Nov-13, 16:02
But despite all the arguments about costs etc of wind farms you seem to have missed the point of this thread !
How will Santa and his reindeers navigate through all those twirling blades!that make Donner and Blitzen so afraid,It's not the cost of the infernal things, that makes Santa need to grow new wings, its Rudolph and his bright red nose that'll have to navigate them through any snows.

ywindythesecond
22-Nov-13, 18:30
It was either the Strathy North or Strathy South Windfarm, (can't remember which but they are both publicy available to check) noted that a substantial number of deer lived in the forest which had to be felled to put in the windmills. It noted that the deer would be displaced to the adjoining peatlands where their hooves would damage the pristine peat so the deer would be culled to avoid that. How green is that, replace carbon capturing trees with metal monsters and kill a herd of deer at the same time?
PS there was a solution for the displaced birds as well but I can't remember what it was.

orkneycadian
22-Nov-13, 23:20
I think Santa has bigger worries on his hands in relation to his reindeer this year, compared to windmills spooking them.

Comet has entered into an insolvency agreement, and will now be nowhere to be seen in the traditional run up to Christmas this year, and Donner was last heard of being served up in a kebab shop in Wick.

squidge
23-Nov-13, 00:14
Jeez none of you know the answer???? Crikey!!?! Its the same as the answer to "how can Santa get down our chimney when the fire is lit?" Or "how will Santa get in when we dont have a chimney? " or "how does Santaget round THE WHOLE WORLD in one night?" All these are usually asked by a cute pyjamed child with sleepy eyes and a hopeful heart. The answer is the same ..... "Because he is magic, Darling" No further explanation needed. Just carrying to bed, tucking in and a big kiss and a reminder that he wont come until you are asleep. Merry Christmas Ho ho ho :)

golach
23-Nov-13, 00:29
Jeez none of you know the answer???? Crikey!!?! Its the same as the answer to "how can Santa get down our chimney when the fire is lit?" Or "how will Santa get in when we dont have a chimney? " or "how does Santaget round THE WHOLE WORLD in one night?" All these are usually asked by a cute pyjamed child with sleepy eyes and a hopeful heart. The answer is the same ..... "Because he is magic, Darling" No further explanation needed. Just carrying to bed, tucking in and a big kiss and a reminder that he wont come until you are asleep. Merry Christmas Ho ho ho :)

Wow Squidge, so your saying our First Haggis Eck is really Santa? [lol]

squidge
23-Nov-13, 09:04
Golach Yawn....