PDA

View Full Version : can u solve this riddle?

katarina
19-Mar-05, 21:51
ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

ARE YOU IN THE TOP 2% OF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?
SOLVE THE RIDDLE AND FIND OUT

There are no trick's, just pure logic, so good luck and don't give up.

1. In a street there are 5 houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality.
3. These five home-owners each drink a different kind of beverage,
smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 1950`s. HE SAID
THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 22:44
ANSWER: The German owns the fish.
Google is a wonderful tool

http://www.manbottle.com/trivia/Einstein_s_Riddle.htm

Drutt
19-Mar-05, 22:48
The question is, singapore, can you do it sans Google?

brandy
19-Mar-05, 22:54
[disgust] ok now that weve been given the answer.. can anyone.. give us how to get to the answer?

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 22:54
Oui.

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 22:55
[disgust] ok now that weve been given the answer.. can anyone.. give us how to get to the answer?

http://www.manbottle.com/trivia/Einstein_s_Riddle.htm

Drutt
19-Mar-05, 22:55
Singapore, brandy asked "how", not "where do I find the cheat?". :roll:

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 22:56
Singapore, brandy asked "how", not "where do I find the cheat"? :roll:
http://www.manbottle.com/trivia/Einstein_s_Riddle.htm_answer.htm

Drutt
19-Mar-05, 23:03
Brandy, your best bet is to draw a grid, with one rectangle per house. The key issue for solving it quickly is in how you interpret 4. The green house is on the left of the white house. If you assume it to mean that the green house is anywhere on the left of the white house, it’ll take much longer to solve.

You are better assuming that the green house is immediately on the left of the white house.

Since we know from 9. The Norwegian lives in the first house and 14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house, you therefore know that the blue house is the second house and can therefore assume that the green house is either the third or fourth house, and therefore the white house is the fourth or fifth house, respectively.

Good luck, brandy!

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 23:06
See, drutt read the answer.

Drutt
19-Mar-05, 23:10
Aww, singapore, just because you struggled, huffed, stamped your cyber foot and had to go look up google doesn't mean the rest of us are in the same boat. [lol]

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 23:24
Aww, singapore, just because you struggled, huffed, stamped your cyber foot and had to go look up google doesn't mean the rest of us are in the same boat. [lol]

Nah! Not true. Why bother trying to work it out when Google is handy. What's the point in putting quizzes on here when Google lets you cheat?
I never even attempted the riddle. All I wanted to do is spoil the fun. [lol] [lol]

Drutt
19-Mar-05, 23:31
Nah! Not true. Why bother trying to work it out when Google is handy. What's the point in putting quizzes on here when Google lets you cheat?
Funny that. It sounds so similar to the argument used to give calculators to young kids before they'd learned their times tables. Now we wonder why they can't count.

I never even attempted the riddle.
So your “oui” response was just a blatant lie?

All I wanted to do is spoil the fun.
You’ll have to try harder than that, singapore. Your posting of the answer doesn’t alter the challenge for anyone willing to at least give it a go. Admitting that you’re too scared to even try is the first step, you know. :D

2little2late
19-Mar-05, 23:34
Well, at least for those who don't want to or can't work it out at least they have the answer.

DrSzin
19-Mar-05, 23:56
I saw this riddle, went away to get a beer, a pen and a sheet of paper, sat down and worked it out. I came back pleased with myself but found that Drutt had beaten me to it. It appears that we did it the same way though.

For anyone who's looking for more hints...

Start with Drutt's hints. There is one further piece of information that determines uniquely the positions of the houses. From then on you have to explore the options until you find a contradiction, then go back to the last unique position. I guessed the Dane's house wrong first time, but I think the solution is unique after that.

A neat puzzle. Thanks Katarina!

I'm not sure I'm in the top 2%, but I'm smiling because it wasn't anywhere near as difficult as I feared.

katarina
20-Mar-05, 07:58
I did it. It took me almost two hours! And yes I did a grid and wrote the colours of the houses along the top. and listed the other things down the side - nationality, pets, smokes, drinks. I would not have the same sense of acheivement if I looked it up in google!
So I guess the 2% thing is wrong cos I'm not that bright!

brandy
20-Mar-05, 08:06
*grins* ahh but the 2 percent was from a dif time period as well... you have to think were people as well educated and able to think outside the box as well? i mean many people or much bigger thinkers today.. we have the time and ability to spend a large chunk of our lives learning (which is a great privlage) whereas not too long ago.. the average joe did not have these opp. as thier whole lives were based mainly around work and making money to support their familys.. so we are really really lucky to be able to learn as we have.. and just being able to solve the riddle thru our own accomplishments.. is a great sign of how far we have come..
well done everyone!! :D

LENSMAN
20-Mar-05, 20:18
I saw the above puzzle on a site along with this one,give it a go.

There are no tricks - this is a straight forward problem. This is supposed to be one of the questions which potential Microsoft employees are asked.

U2 have a concert that starts in 17 minutes and they must all cross a bridge to get there. All four men begin on the same side of the bridge. You must help them across to the other side. It is night. There is one flashlight.

A maximum of two people can cross at one time. Any party that crosses the bridge, either 1 or 2 people, must have the flashlight with them. The flashlight must be carried back and forth, it cannot be thrown, etc. Each band member walks at a different speed. A pair must walk together at the rate of the slower man's pace:

* Bono: - 1 minute to cross
* Edge: - 2 minutes to cross
* Adam: - 5 minutes to cross
* Larry: - 10 minutes to cross

For example: if Bono and Larry walk across first, 10 minutes have elapsed by the time they get to the other side of the bridge. If Larry then returns with the flashlight, a total of 20 minutes have passed and you have failed the mission.

There is no trick to this. It is a simple movement of resources in the appropriate order. There are two known answers to this problem. Microsoft expects you to answer this question in under 5 minutes!

katarina
20-Mar-05, 22:52
I can't get less than 19minutes

Bobinovich
20-Mar-05, 23:06
After going about it totally the wrong way first time round I did eventually come up with the answer which is...

1st run across - Bono & The Edge - 2 minutes
Bono returns across the bridge - 1 minute
2nd run across - Larry & Adam - 10 minutes
The Edge returns across the bridge - 2 minutes
3rd run across - Bono & The Edge - 2 minutes

Total time is 17 minutes although there was no mention of how far it was from the bridge to the gig!!!

mareng
21-Mar-05, 09:19
ALBERT EINSTEIN'S RIDDLE

ARE YOU IN THE TOP 2% OF INTELLIGENT PEOPLE IN THE WORLD?
SOLVE THE RIDDLE AND FIND OUT

There are no trick's, just pure logic, so good luck and don't give up.

1. In a street there are 5 houses, painted five different colours.
2. In each house lives a person of different nationality.
3. These five home-owners each drink a different kind of beverage,
smoke a different brand of cigar and keep a different pet.

THE QUESTION: WHO OWNS THE FISH?

HINTS

1. The Brit lives in a red house.
2. The Swede keeps dogs as pets
3. The Dane drinks tea.
4. The green house is on the left of the white house.
5. The owner of the green house drinks coffee.
6. The person who smokes Pall Mall rears birds.
7. The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
8. The man living in the centre house drinks milk.
9. The Norwegian lives in the first house.
10. The man who smokes Blends lives next to the one who keeps cats.
11. The man who keeps horses lives next to the man who smokes Dunhill.
12. The man who smokes blue Master drinks beer.
13. The German smokes Prince.
14. The Norwegian lives next to the blue house.
15. The man who smokes Blends has a neighbour who drinks water.

ALBERT EINSTEIN WROTE THIS RIDDLE EARLY DURING THE 1950`s. HE SAID
THAT 98% OF THE WORLD POPULATION WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SOLVE IT.

Since the riddle cannot be solved without the "hints" - How can they be called "hints"? They are absolute requirements to know. [disgust]

katarina
21-Mar-05, 09:23
Don't shoot the messenger! I only passed it on!

Drutt
21-Mar-05, 10:25
Since the riddle cannot be solved without the "hints" - How can they be called "hints"? They are absolute requirements to know. [disgust]
The riddle can of course be solved without the hints - it can just take a little longer depending on how you interpret statement 4.

I was trying to be helpful - what's the problem?

Rheghead
21-Mar-05, 10:50
The puzzle solver needs the hints to solve it, otherwise how do we know which nationalities, pets and colours are involved?

Drutt
21-Mar-05, 11:00
The puzzle solver needs the hints to solve it, otherwise how do we know which nationalities, pets and colours are involved?
Ah, I thought it was a dig at the hint I posted, not about the 15 statements, which just happened to be inappropriately described as hints. So what? Now I really don't get what the gripe was about. :roll:

misschief
23-Mar-05, 10:12
YIPPEE I got it I am in the top 2% intelligent people in the country. :lol:

I got the german and the fish all by myself. haven't done anywork for an entire afternoon but never mind I solved the riddle.

Have you ever noticed on here that even the most lighthearted thing turns into a battle to the death of seriousness.

LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE