PDA

View Full Version : Do highland council sell roads/building materials ?

Green_not_greed
16-Nov-13, 12:06
Just wondering if anyone knows whether Highland Council sell or supply building/roads material to private individuals or companies for construction ? By that I mean aggregate and shingle for drives and in-fill. If they don't then there is a scam going on very close to me and its costing our council tax budget.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can cast some light on this.

GNG

Big Gaz
16-Nov-13, 12:16
They shouldn't be selling anything. They only buy in and use the materials themselves unless they have a sub-contractor who is using their stock. Money shouldn't be changing hands though under any circumstances. If joe public is helping himself then it is theft, even if he "pays" a council worker for it as it isn't for sale.

sids
16-Nov-13, 12:43
They're in trouble now.

They've been anonymously gossiped about on the Org!

Tilly Teckel
16-Nov-13, 12:53
They're in trouble now.

They've been anonymously gossiped about on the Org!

[lol] [lol] [lol]

Seriously, people are soooo goddam passive aggressive round here!

orkneycadian
16-Nov-13, 14:54
Don't see why they wouldn't, or if they did, why it would be a crime.

Over here, Orkney Islands Council sell all kinds of aggregate, stones, tar and other materials from their quarry. All legit and above board, and probably a useful income stream for them.

sids
16-Nov-13, 15:29
Over here, Orkney Islands Council sell all kinds of aggregate, stones, tar and other materials from their quarry. All legit and above board, and probably a useful income stream for them.

Do they know that Big Gaz off the internet is heading over there to sort them out?

Big Gaz
16-Nov-13, 15:45
Do they know that Big Gaz off the internet is heading over there to sort them out?

just why would i be heading anywhere to sort anybody out? behave!

Green_not_greed
16-Nov-13, 16:24
They shouldn't be selling anything. They only buy in and use the materials themselves unless they have a sub-contractor who is using their stock. Money shouldn't be changing hands though under any circumstances. If joe public is helping himself then it is theft, even if he "pays" a council worker for it as it isn't for sale.

If theft or fraud is being committed then its not just a case of "joe public" helping him/herself. Two Highland Council trucks appeared and dumped full loads of material to the site around 0830 last friday morning. Its a private building development just outside Reay. They are not the first council trucks which have delivered to the site, and it didn't appear to be quite right to me, so I took some photos. I don't intend to pursue this if it's cosher, but will be taking it up with the Council if its dodgy. Which is why I asked the question in the first place.

Big Gaz
16-Nov-13, 16:37
You sure it wasn't J.T.Cormacks trucks? they are yellow, same as the council

Green_not_greed
16-Nov-13, 16:46
You sure it wasn't J.T.Cormacks trucks? they are yellow, same as the council

No they were clearly Highland Council trucks with the logo on the doors. Some neighbours saw the same and have asked the same question about Highland Council.

cptdodger
16-Nov-13, 17:19
Just wondering if anyone knows whether Highland Council sell or supply building/roads material to private individuals or companies for construction ? By that I mean aggregate and shingle for drives and in-fill. If they don't then there is a scam going on very close to me and its costing our council tax budget.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can cast some light on this.
GNG

I would imagine it would be the Highland Council you should be contacting about this. If it is legitimate, that's fine, if not, then it is down to them to investigate. But unless you speak to them directly, you're not going to know either way.

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 17:46
Seems like Reay is a centre for intrigue and skulduggery who'd of thought it lol

Big Gaz
16-Nov-13, 21:39
Seems like Reay is a centre for intrigue and skulduggery who'd of thought it lol

Don't forget the supposition, opposition and propositions!!

poppett
17-Nov-13, 20:20
The council lorries could have been contracted to make the deliveries.

This was a regular occurrance many years ago in the quarries in and around Inverness. Not the first time 2" ballast for British Rail arrived on a Council lorry passing Daviot quarry empty on his way to pick up sand from Torvean.