PDA

View Full Version : Unfriendly Thurso

solastar
13-Feb-07, 12:45
Just been down the shops in Thurso for a few messages and i have returned home feeling like poo on the retailers shoes!
Just who do these shop keepers and staff think they are?
I was spending my hard earned money and was aware of no PLEASE OR THANKYOU. oh i tell a lie i had one half hearted whisper of a thanks from one shop.
I am through with Thurso its the internet and Inverness for me in future.

sola

The Pepsi Challenge
13-Feb-07, 12:54
Just one of those days I guess, it happens. Maybe you're feeling a bit over-sensitive? I get days like that, too. Take it easy.

Torvaig
13-Feb-07, 13:20
I know what you mean solastar; it is depressing to spend your money with a business and not be acknowledged for it.

I think a lot of businesses could do with a refresher course on how to treat customers. I don't think most of them mean to ignore you, it's just that they are too wrapped up in their own lives and are not paying attention to the business of dealing with people.

A reminder of what is needed for a business to work is badly needed in some places. Staff and customers are equally involved in making a business successful and it is time for business owners to acknowledge that and ensure that customers get the best of service everytime!

Try being overly friendly and chat and smile to them and if they are basically nice people they will respond. If no reaction, stuff them! ;)

darkman
13-Feb-07, 13:26
They are providing a service but it's you and others like you that keep them in business.
If you don't like the level of service then make a formal complaint to the owner(s) and tell them you will shop elsewhere from now on.
If enough people feel the way you do they will soon get the message.

Cinders392
13-Feb-07, 13:34
Could be an over sensative day. People nowadays are very stressed and times have changed in such a short space of time. Getting out of bed and going to work in the morning is difficult for alot of people now. 60 years ago you had to get out of bed if you wanted to or not. Who was going to get the coal in, get the food etc. And there wasnt so much choice then as there is now. Nowadays heat comes at the switch of a button and you can get more than food delivered straight to your door!
Difficult time to live in mentally. Maybe the human species has become too advanced in too little time

Penelope Pitstop
13-Feb-07, 13:56
Just been down the shops in Thurso for a few messages and i have returned home feeling like poo on the retailers shoes!
I was spending my hard earned money and was aware of no PLEASE OR THANKYOU. oh i tell a lie i had one half hearted whisper of a thanks from one shop.

sola
I can think of a few shops who's staff could do with a bit of coaching in customer care, but it would be a shame to class all the shops in Thurso in this bracket:~(

Billy Boy
13-Feb-07, 14:11
the thing that really bites my bum is when you put your hand out for your change and they set it on the counter [evil] i've had to bite my lip a few times because it cheese's me off soooooooo much i would not be able to be very polite:mad:

Glenys Hirst
13-Feb-07, 14:18
I come up to Thurso on holiday every year and I think its the odd person that can be miserable and unfriendly not everyone in the shop..and there are only 2 shops I can think of! And why single out Thurso....!!..Across the country there must surely other people who sadly lack 'communication skills' when it comes to being in contact with costomers...and in other proffessions aswell...At the end of the day..it would be awful thing if we were all the same!

katarina
13-Feb-07, 14:21

sola

What's wrong with Wick?

vodka-queen
13-Feb-07, 14:25
i totally agree with you Glenys Hirst (http://forum.caithness.org/member.php?u=3982) it is the odd person but i think you will get that every place you shop really and if we were all the same we would still be complaining.

henry20
13-Feb-07, 14:37
I work with public and always feel I am friendly (not in a Thurso shop, so it wasn't me :D), but yesterday I was serving a customer who was totally unreasonable - and it was difficult for me to remain pleasant, but I did. Maybe that customer was shopping in Thurso today and put all the staff in unpleasant mode.

I've lost count of the number of unpleasant/impolite customers I've served in my time.

Unfortunately, people forget that manners come free :(

Glenys Hirst
13-Feb-07, 14:49
My theory is......Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself!

dozy
13-Feb-07, 15:10
I thought from the hostile reception you got that you had asked CASE of money ...
Then again you left with all your limps intact so it can't be them ....

Its just SAD but expected..

solastar
13-Feb-07, 15:29
ok i have had time to calm myself,but you see i also work in a shop and i find if we have fun and pass good communication,please and thankyou"which comes natural"and a genuine interest in your customer it helps my day go as well as the customer going out feeling "valued"
you agree?
sola

vodka-queen
13-Feb-07, 15:44
well sed for the last comment i agree completely.

i think spar in thurso's staff and very nice and friendly been there a few times xxx

gunnlass
13-Feb-07, 15:46
I agree, unfortunately not everbody does this and you can have an off day, but the employer probably doesn't know that their staff are behaving like this, well I would hope not, anyway don't let this put you off as there are plenty nice ones of us aswell and we do need you to shop here even though some shops are letting us down in the town.

danc1ngwitch
13-Feb-07, 15:57
I love when i meet someone who is smiling, makes me smile, and in return reminds me there are other people who remembers the whole smily thing... People forget that it's only life they should be enjoying it. Tackle the problems head on and in times of stress go back to the natural things ( listening to streams, watching the tree's blowing in the wind ) simple things... My favourite is watching the youngest children they are so funny.. My youngest son who is 4 saw that my eldest daughter who is 14 left herself signed on msn. He saw that the convo box was open and he typed ( qr ) sent it and so on. I am still laughing her palls must have thought she went loopy [lol]

Torvaig
13-Feb-07, 16:16
So true DW, so true. Glad you can see the good things in life are the simple things. I don't have young children but I do have a daft dog and it's a sheer pleasure to just sit and watch him; makes me laugh out loud!

Glenys Hirst
13-Feb-07, 16:20
I appreciate it very much when I go to my local supermarket and I'm greeted with a smile and along with that a wee 'chin-wag' as I pack my groceries away...It cheers me up no end...somedays I don't see anyone to chat to until my children come home from school...thats only me..just think if I was an elderly person.

golach
13-Feb-07, 16:26
Sola, cyber D in Law, should your heading not be Unfriendly Thurso Shop Assistants surely not all Thursa is unfriendly, not IMO anyway

scotsboy
13-Feb-07, 16:49
Sola, cyber D in Law, should your heading not be Unfriendly Thurso Shop Assistants surely not all Thursa is unfriendly, not IMO anyway

Whilst you are technically correct Golach, the title could be the impression given to a visitor who encounters bad service and sees nothing else.

I have a few shops I don't even bother going into when I go back to Thurso, becuase of poor service and attitude encountered in the past. On one occassion I was waiting to pay for goods, and the owner turned off the lights, put the keys in the door and stood looking at his watch (it was 5.00pm) - I left the stuff on the counter and have never darkened his door again.

Ricco
13-Feb-07, 17:31
Rude shops keepers in Thurso? Surely not.. perhaps they had just experienced a rude customer (and boy, have I seen some rude ones over the years) or were very down-hearted because of some bad news. You could go back, wave a £20 note and say you'd love to spend it there but only if the atmosphere warms up considerably. ;)

the charlatans
13-Feb-07, 18:06
I'm just back from doing a spot of shopping in Thurso and had this thread in mind when i was out and about.I had 2 extremely friendly shops, Johnstons the bakers and Woolies. Not so much in the Co-op today. I like the Co-op but the checkout operators do occasionally let themselves down and sadly that was today again, one lady in particular who i wouldn't dream of naming here but i'm sure there's a smile in there somewhere. I just try and avoid her checkout now.I was taught in my customer service training that you cannot know what situation the customer is coming from, they might have had some bad news before hand and although this is not your fault in no way should your dealings with the customer make matters worse. Treat as you would like to be treated.Solastar, i hope you carry on shopping in Thurso and don't let those grumpy people get to you. Go to Johnstons and get a nice wee cake and those ladies will soon cheer you up!

Glenys Hirst
13-Feb-07, 18:15
Hee Hee....I think I know who you mean!!!!!!!! I enjoy shopping in the Co-op in Thurso when Im up on holiday...and I also avoid that cashout person...She never changes each year I come up from yorkshire!..I like the shops in Thurso..The flower shop near the bakery have lovely staff and when I've ordered flowers for my sister and mum the flowers have been beautiful.

sam
13-Feb-07, 18:23
well sed for the last comment i agree completely.

i think spar in thurso's staff and very nice and friendly been there a few times xxx

I couldnt agree more with you, They are a lot more friendlier than in their Castletown shop, where most of the staff are to busy talking to each other to even notice the customers [disgust]

henry20
13-Feb-07, 18:38
On the subject of the Co-op in Thurso, there is a young lad that works there and he always manages to cheer me up no matter what mood I'm in. I can never work out why he is always so cheery - maybe I just catch him at the end of his shift :lol:

He always enquires about my day and is very chirpy. I've never seen him on a bad day.

the charlatans
13-Feb-07, 18:52
Same with the trolly manny down in Tescos. he's a happy soul!It doesn't take much to smile and 9/10 out of 10 people smile back. Try it, its infectious.

Billy Boy
13-Feb-07, 19:04
lol, is that the same trolley dolley, that looks more like he is laughing at you than smiling at you;) :lol:

obiron
13-Feb-07, 19:12
lol, is that the same trolley dolley, that looks more like he is laughing at you than smiling at you;) :lol:

thank god for that thought it was just me. lol

Mr P Cannop
13-Feb-07, 19:38
On the subject of the Co-op in Thurso, there is a young lad that works there and he always manages to cheer me up no matter what mood I'm in. I can never work out why he is always so cheery - maybe I just catch him at the end of his shift :lol:

He always enquires about my day and is very chirpy. I've never seen him on a bad day.

is that the big co-op or the small one in spring park ??

Billy Boy
13-Feb-07, 19:49
is that the big co-op or the small one in spring park ??

well it's hardly going to be the one in spring park with all the sour faces thats in there:eek: :lol:

Woolie
13-Feb-07, 19:58
What's wrong with Wick?
yeah was gonna sy come too wick we r firendly here.

Mr P Cannop
13-Feb-07, 20:20
well it's hardly going to be the one in spring park with all the sour faces thats in there:eek: :lol:

billy boy what u mean ?? the staff there is nice

Tristan
13-Feb-07, 20:23

Tall, longish dark hair? If so I know the chap you are talking about. He is a good example of good customer service.

danc1ngwitch
13-Feb-07, 20:30
I couldnt agree more with you, They are a lot more friendlier than in their Castletown shop, where most of the staff are to busy talking to each other to even notice the customers [disgust]
this is almost true, lol... i get a good yap wea some o e girls... the lad tho he will utter not a word to me now..[lol]

Billy Boy
13-Feb-07, 20:32
billy boy what u mean ?? the staff there is nice

I was in the shop for ma papers one morning last week and there was a que of atleast 6 folk waiting wondering if there was anyone to serve us, when one of the customers went to the back of the shop where a member of staff was working and she was told that we were all waiting to be served, she then proceeded to storm up to the till cursing and swearing so that everyone in the que heard, when she served me i asked "are you one your own today" she replied "no the other one is in the fluffy ( not the word she used ) office.":eek: (I must add she wasnt rude to me personnally)
so now Mr P Cannop is that what you call nice staff?????:confused

danc1ngwitch
13-Feb-07, 20:32
yeah was gonna sy come too wick we r firendly here.
weekers are friendly, so wot u all after [lol]

Moby
13-Feb-07, 20:39
.........Treat as you would like to be treated...........

How true! I enjoy shopping in Thurso and can honestly say that I rarely come accross bad customer service. As Dancing Witch says "the smiley thing" works wonders.

johno
13-Feb-07, 22:34
Awe C Mon Now, We Used To Shop Regulary In Thurso & Cant Say We,ve Ever Had A Bad Experience .

Ps. And We Are Wicker.s :d

pentlander
14-Feb-07, 00:06

sola
Most unfair I think.
You are just as likely to receive bad customer service in Inverness or on the net as you are in Thurso or indeed any other UK town.

You are hardly likey to nip to Inverness or the Internet for a few messages. If you do it will cost you significantly more in time petrol and hassle than going down the road.

Supermarkets do a lot of things right but I would not personally count personal service amongst their best qualities.
Many people have a problem with local Caithness retailers and compare them to other places thy have lived in the UK.
Whilst I have no time for bad or rude service except it happens everywhere.
There are many shops in both Wick and Thurso were the service is far superior than you would receive elsewhere.
On Saturday I was in Harolds butchers in Wick and my little one was looking a bit peecky. Flu and all that.
I spent about £2 but the boss proceeded to give my little girl an apple to brighten here up.
Supermarkets are great but dont for one moment think they make a community.

Rheghead
14-Feb-07, 00:35
There are two magic words in the English language, miracles can happen as a result of their useage, it seems to me that it is extremely cost-effective to use them very often, sadly, not everyone sees it my way...:(

changilass
14-Feb-07, 00:58
Totally agree Rheghead, am teaching them to my wee boy now, they will get him a lot more of what he wants in life:D

pentlander
14-Feb-07, 01:04
It seems to me that everyone is quick to knock local shops because new all singing all dancing superstores have moved in to take your cash. Local shops don't have the advantage of an Edinburgh/Chelsea branch who are making money anyway. Be honest Mr X CANNOT compete with wallmart/tesco

That is in now way excusing rip off's or bad service.
In the next five years you will see a different Wick and Thurso. Big supermarkets, charity shops, Indian and Chinese takeaways. Your wishes will come true.

Gogglebox
14-Feb-07, 01:31
I would say there are certain shops where the Customer handling and Customer Service is appalling in Thurso and have longed since started buying my clothes on the internet because of it.

There are some that go out there way to help you though butchers, bakers, the cheap shops and if more of their approach were around the town would be better.

henry20
14-Feb-07, 09:22
Tall, longish dark hair? If so I know the chap you are talking about. He is a good example of good customer service.

Sounds like him. Late teens sort of age?

Even when I'm in a foul mood, he always manages to make me smile.

It seems to me that everyone is quick to knock local shops because new all singing all dancing superstores have moved in to take your cash.

I would say the rudest staff I have encountered lately were in New Look - when I was at the checkout, they barely acknowledged they were serving me and continued chatting amongst themselves as if I wasn't there. Saying that, any other time I've been in, the service was fine.

Torvaig
14-Feb-07, 12:45
thank god for that thought it was just me. lol

That's 'cos he is probably making up a poem about you! :)

bingo1
14-Feb-07, 18:52
Whenever i go to frasors supermarket in thurso staff are very friendly apart from one lady who never says please or thankyou.
The lady just looks down her nose at you who does she think she is cause if myself or other people didnt shop there where would her job be. If she serves me i ALWAYS leave the shop feeling angry.

stratman
14-Feb-07, 20:13
I've always found Jim Bews staff to be freindly and helpfull.

Fantoosh
15-Feb-07, 18:33
Whenever i go to frasors supermarket in thurso staff are very friendly apart from one lady who never says please or thankyou.
The lady just looks down her nose at you who does she think she is cause if myself or other people didnt shop there where would her job be. If she serves me i ALWAYS leave the shop feeling angry.

I know exactly who you are talking about. She just makes you feel uncomfortable. Thats what i hate most, You go into a shop and are friendly and they just knock you down by being gurny, or try to make you feel like they are better than you. :(

I work with the piblic and even if im not in a good mood, or im not too keen on the person, ill always try to be friendly. Its part of my job. :D

frogface
15-Feb-07, 19:23
I think I know the guy you're talking about from the co-op, really friendly and a great sense of humour, top notch !

Bad service, 3 words, Robin's Chip Shop :eek:

Penelope Pitstop
15-Feb-07, 20:01
I know who you mean!! Tried the smiling, overdoing the please and thanks, but no difference!!

rockchick
15-Feb-07, 20:11
I think I know the guy you're talking about from the co-op, really friendly and a great sense of humour, top notch !

Grin...I think you're talking about my son!

danc1ngwitch
15-Feb-07, 20:30
i shop at the co-op ( big ) and there is a really nice younger guy serves there, seems to be on everyones wave length. Even when i have seen him on the street passing by he nodds his head so yep there is one who takes notice of the customers and recalls them... x

frogface
15-Feb-07, 22:03
Grin...I think you're talking about my son!

He's an absolute credit to you :D

Max
15-Feb-07, 22:17
Yes, I too think I know the lad my son and I always make a B-line to his checkout for a chat!

rockchick
16-Feb-07, 08:00
He's an absolute credit to you :D

Oh I'd love to take the credit, but his personality is his and his alone...but thank you anyways!

Fantoosh
16-Feb-07, 14:34
One place i always find really friendly, is Spar shop up in Ormlie.The staff are lovely :D

gpwicks
16-Feb-07, 21:02
I'm glad that every one is saying about the people who complain about the staff thats bad, but what about the incompatant punters that walk into stores these days sour-faced and have no manners at all. Just food for thought !!

Max
16-Feb-07, 21:58
You are right - manners cost nothing so why not just be nice, however, "customer care" - customers should all be treated the same - even the grumpy ones!

ABC
16-Feb-07, 22:19
I totally agree with you about gurny customers coming in with a face of thunder, this can also be quite off putting:~(

ABC
09-May-07, 21:02
Had one of the nicest most friendliest customers today, a really lovely person, :D

Dadie
10-May-07, 08:01
I was in wick on tuesday had a really bad day went into the cancer research shop for a look the assistant didnt offer any help at all struggled to get in the shop with the buggy she kept yapping to someone in there went to pay for an item she continued to yap i put the item back on the shelf and walked out. went into simpsons looking for a birthday card and a "spot the dog" book couldnt get buggy round the aisiles had trouble getting out the door no help from the staff...i dont think i even registered on their radar...went to boots the chemist same treatment there...then i went to TESCOS the staff there couldnt be more HELPFUL if they tried got my daughter fed, bum changed, someone got me a trolley, did my shopping my bags were packed for me i even got help with the trolley to the car (the trolley didnt want to go to the car it had a mind of its own) my bags were put in the car for me and the trolley taken away!GREAT SERVICE!

jay
10-May-07, 08:28
I was in Tesco on Sunday - hardly any bread, veg poor, went to check out, the boy who was serving me continually talked to another member of staff, never once4 spoke to me or looked at what he was doing. Three other members of staff hung about the checkout discussing the saturday night and messing about with a brush. we were not offered the school vouchers and when we went back to ask got a blank look, the lady at the next checkout handed them over. So I was not impressed with the service in Tesco!

jay
10-May-07, 08:36
should have also said that the lady who served me with fresh fish picked up the fish with her bare hands, put it on a scale with no paper on it, picked it up again and put it in a bag, then went back and stood blethering to another member of staff - hands or scales not washed

Mr P Cannop
10-May-07, 08:39
I was in wick on tuesday had a really bad day went into the cancer research shop for a look the assistant didnt offer any help at all struggled to get in the shop with the buggy she kept yapping to someone in there went to pay for an item she continued to yap i put the item back on the shelf and walked out. went into simpsons looking for a birthday card and a "spot the dog" book couldnt get buggy round the aisiles had trouble getting out the door no help from the staff...i dont think i even registered on their radar...went to boots the chemist same treatment there...then i went to TESCOS the staff there couldnt be more HELPFUL if they tried got my daughter fed, bum changed, someone got me a trolley, did my shopping my bags were packed for me i even got help with the trolley to the car (the trolley didnt want to go to the car it had a mind of its own) my bags were put in the car for me and the trolley taken away!GREAT SERVICE!

none of these shops are in thurso the last time i was down the street in thurso

NickInTheNorth
10-May-07, 08:57
well I just have to say that my very limited experiences of shopping in Thurso, on Saturday just gone, have been very positive. Couldn't tell you the names of any of the small shops, but there was a shoe shop, a bakers, a newsagents, and a couple of clothes shops and in all the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Also friendly and helpful in Somerfield on Sunday evening - I much preferred the experience to my usual shopping haunts in Fort William.

Dadie
10-May-07, 09:39
I did say in my previous post i was in WICK .
I had bad service there its not only thurso that you get bad service in.
I usually get quite good service in Thurso I just happened to be in wick and was severly dissapointed with the service i got there!

Ash
10-May-07, 10:50
i find that there is shops in wick and thurso that are unfriendly, u get this everywhere u go, some people like when they are asked if they need help whilst me i hate it, when u go into butresses in thurso they hound you, the coop staff in thurso never smile and somefield in thurso is being run by schoolkids!:eek:

henry20
10-May-07, 11:22
some people like when they are asked if they need help whilst me i hate it

This is, IMO, the key problem. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Some people expect a 'can I help you' while others feel pestered. Personally, it depends on my mood. If I'm just in for a browse and get asked 'can I help you' I often feel that I'm going to be watched incase I do need help, so feel uncomfortable and leave. McBeaths jewellers have it sorted, they say 'If you need any help, just give a shout'. Fine, I can browse in peace without feeling I'm being watched and know I can ask for help if I need it.

Ash
10-May-07, 11:31
i dont mind being asked for help, depends on the shop, but some shop keepers watch you, and it can be very annoying:mad:

lexie
10-May-07, 19:12
...instead of complaining in this forum....why don't you complain when you are in the shops...at the time when the bad service is happening?..then these matters can get sorted out!... If you don't say anything at the time ... your not happy with service...just ask to see the manager...?

its not always the shop assistants.... customers can be wrong even when they think they are right!;) ...throw money accross the counter ...no please ..no thank you.. works both ways you know!

stratman
10-May-07, 20:54
works both ways you know!

Shouldn't Lexie

People in the service industries are providing just that and should remain professional at all times. Sure customers are an annoyance at times but they should never know it. Shopping is an unpleasant enough experience without surly, disinterested service. Suck it up or ship out I say!

I'm sure people do complain to the right quarters as well as letting steam off on the org.

I don't think that Thurso is worse than anywhere else I have shopped. Now Brecon.....Thats another story.

karia
10-May-07, 22:16
Whatever you do, if it involves the'public', they are, in equal measure:
'life affirmingly wonderful!':)
'despairingly awful!':(

all you can do is be true to yourself!

stratman
10-May-07, 22:57
Whatever you do, if it involves the'public', they are, in equal measure:
'life affirmingly wonderful!':)
'despairingly awful!':(

all you can do is be true to yourself!

Whilst acting professionally. Totally agree about the public having nursed for 25 years.

karia
10-May-07, 23:27
Sorry stratman, ..obviously codes of behaviour must be adhered to,
Especially in hospitals etc.

Have to say though..most folk are really nice.

I'm not giving up on the human race..just yet!

when I do, they'd better watch out,..I've just bought 'hiking poles' and I'm
not afraid to brandish them!:Razz

Karia

oldmarine
11-May-07, 00:03
I've never had any problems shopping in Thurso. I've always found the people there to be quite friendly and accomodating. I always try to greet everyone with a pleasant attitude. I believe that can make a large difference.

Malcolmdog
11-May-07, 01:16
I landed in Wick on holidays a few years ago with a son suffering from a severe case of jet lag and travel sickness. I must say, the Pharmacy near the Norseman hotel - was it a Boots? was absolutely the BEST. sorry if my logistics are wrong, I remember it to be somewhere near the hotel as I walked there and back in short time.

The sales staff, the pharmacist were truly amazing. They looked up holistic remedies for us to try, provided me pills that were similar to what we had at home here in Canada for motion sickness.

I never had the chance to say THANKS. He recovered quickly with their intervention and the holiday was saved!!!

keep up the good work!!!