PDA

View Full Version : Garlic good news

crayola
16-Nov-13, 01:36
Good news about garlic at last. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24955839

Perambulate
16-Nov-13, 07:12
I've read a few posts now where you appear to insist on calling Gaelic garlic and generally seem to take issue with said language? What have you got against Gaelic? And why do you insist on calling it garlic?

ducati
16-Nov-13, 09:52
If you want to speak Garlic great. But don't allow the Grubbiement to throw £millions of everyone else's money into persuding us that we should. :mad:

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 10:25
If you want to speak Garlic great. But don't allow the Grubbiement to throw £millions of everyone else's money into persuding us that we should. :mad:Now now don't be understating things Ducati £400 millions in total. Oh and wanna pop over and give my motor the once over :0))

sids
16-Nov-13, 10:35
Don't know why it would be good news that fewer people speak any particular language, but is there an inverse correlation between money spent and use of Gaelic.

mi16
16-Nov-13, 11:14
Nothing wrong with garlicGaelic however is a complete waste of time

focusRS
16-Nov-13, 11:25
It has been said that garlic can help a man sustain granite-like erections. So hard that a cat couldn't scratch it.

orkneycadian
16-Nov-13, 15:13
I suspect Crayola's comment is slightly tongue in cheek. Over hear, Orcadian is dying out in favour of Ohrkadian. This is especially the case on Ee-day, San-day, Stron-say and even now, West-ray

KarenK
16-Nov-13, 17:19
Over hearEnglish isn't holding out too well either then.

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 17:38
English isn't holding out too well either then.That's why so much of the world speaks English...close enough is good enough sometimes....here hear ! Most still understand, now try doing the same in a different language :0))

KarenK
16-Nov-13, 17:54
That's why so much of the world speaks English.

I believe there are more native Spanish speakers than there are native English speakers. And more native Mandarin speakers than both of them put together.

Which always amazes me as to why schools continue to place so much emphasis on teaching French. Are they expecting future generations to have to seek exile with the Auld Alliance ?

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 18:01
Your quite right but primary language is one thing secondary language is when English fully kicks in or as the language of commerce.
French is probably because its our closest neighbour and teachers like having little jollies there in the guise of educational trips

Perambulate
16-Nov-13, 20:30
So do people have an overt hatred if Gaelic because it costs money they feel could be spent on somthing else?

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 21:25
Personally I'm totally ambivalent about Gaelic if it survives it survives if it fades its going the same way lots of other languages have gone. Is it worth money being thrown at it that's a separate question and in my opinion it doesn't

Bobinovich
16-Nov-13, 21:41
I'm with RR, it's one of a number of 'projects' which either shouldn't have seen the light of day, or should have been put on the back burners as 'not important enough to warrant any money' once the country was gripped by austerity.

luskentyre
17-Nov-13, 00:18
So do people have an overt hatred if Gaelic because it costs money they feel could be spent on somthing else?

I object to Gaelic being forced down our throats because it's a waste of time, effort and money.

One example is bilingual road signs. This makes the signs larger than they need to be and confusing for tourists. They benefit absolutely no one.

I can actually see benefits in teaching children a second language but at least make it something useful, something they're likely to use elsewhere e.g. anything except Gaelic.

Gaelic may (or may not) be part of our heritage but I'm that's just not a good enough reason to try and promote it now. We should be removing barriers to communication not putting more in their place. I would be far more impressed if the Scottish Government were to promote something like Esperanto. Now that would be progressive.

Big Gaz
17-Nov-13, 00:36
I would be far more impressed if the Scottish Government were to promote something like Esperanto. Now that would be progressive.

Nah, knowing the Scottish Govt that would be too multekosta

Dadie
17-Nov-13, 01:09
The way things are going Polish would be a good second language as well as any......

ducati
17-Nov-13, 07:37
I would be far more impressed if the Scottish Government were to promote something like Esperanto. Now that would be progressive.

Yes Esperanto. I speak it like a native!

crayola
17-Nov-13, 14:19
Democracy is paramount in essential human communication. They force us to see their code on their road signs. They force our employers to force it on us. They want to force it on the children of Wick by having all signs in garlic in the new high school. We got rid of Arthur Peanut with our democracy. The others will follow his demise if we remain strong sisters and brothers. :)

Big Gaz
17-Nov-13, 14:30
Yes Esperanto. I speak it like a native!

Now Ducati, careful you don't get Esperanto mixed up with Esperantink!

orkneycadian
18-Nov-13, 19:53
English isn't holding out too well either then.

Buey, hids this aalweys bein aboothaans wae aaal thae ferryloupers - Maaks ye chant eftar a bit! ;)

weeboyagee
19-Nov-13, 23:44
Glory be - I disappear for a wee while, come back, and you're STILL discussing the same old, same old, with the same old, same old, reasons - the world has moved on in terms of Gaelic and it's spend and so many are STILL ignorant of it all quoting the same old bollocks, especially you Crayola - you've been on here for YEARS the same as me and you haven't said a damn thing different. How many newbes on here listening to you that need to know you've been spouting off about this the exact same way for years. Boring isn't the word. Nor have you gone and found out about how it's funded, why it's funded - but you still spout off as if you know all about it. Get a life and a grip. Gaelic speaking people including me and LOADS of others in the county pay their tax and they DON'T get anything like the return on their language from THEIR tax. Bilingual road signs - two in Caithness - TWO - and this since the Highland Councillors kicked off in our county SEVEN years ago - yes SEVEN years ago Cllr Flear, Cllr Rosie et al. What an effort. They said then that we were never a Gaelic speaking area - that myth got the crap kicked out of it. Then they said they don't want it forced down their throats - that also got the crap kicked out of it - who has forced it down your throat Crayola, where you've had something printed in the public domain that was Gaelic only? Where have you been forced to learn it? Where have you been forced to read it where an English equivalent wasn't available. You should be TIRED of your argument by now - you've whittled on about it for that flippin' long! Give it a rest - or come up with something new.

crayola
20-Nov-13, 21:00
You used to be such a sweet wee boy until you started posting the rubbish spoken by the garlic language fascists. I've been speaking garlic for longer than you and I evidently know more about it than you do. You're still wrong about everything and everyone after all these years yet still you're rude and you try to shout people down. Gleeber gets it. Why can't you stop behaving like an angry pixie?

gleeber
22-Nov-13, 15:22
Welcome back to the org WBG. You found something that riled you and I found something that's riled me. :lol:
You know as well as I do that Gaelic does not have an automatic claim on the heritage of Caithness otherwise you wouldn't be coming onto the org to proclaim your victory. It's easy to shout down those of us with genuine concerns about the grip the Gaelic movement have on the heritage of Caithness when you have an Act of Parliament in your hip pocket to enforce it.
I've accepted it now but it's important for my heritage and the history of Caithness to remind those who may not know that Gaelic language has had little or no connection to the heritage of Caithness in well over one thousand years in a large part of the county with the exception of those in modern times who have taken it on-board as a pastime and hobby, yourself included, and although I endorse and encourage that I think it depreciates both the Gaelic and Caithness heritage to enforce the Gaelic Act in Caithness. I blame the Gaelic movement for that, not Highland Council.
I don't mean to be derogatory or disrespectful towards our Gaelic speaking and singing inhabitants but I'm sure they know too that there's a problem with Gaelic in Caithness. From my position its not anti-Gaelic as many of your Gaelic speaking friends perceive, but pro Caithness.
You really will have to do better than that if your trying to promote Gaelic. Your post comes over as disrespectful towards Caithness's unique heritage and those of us who embrace it.
The Gaelic coup in Caithness is complete and you have just started. Don't rub it in.

sids
22-Nov-13, 18:57
Does he speak the Thrumster Gaelic?

crayola
22-Nov-13, 21:33
They won't win in Caithness because they're dying out in their heartland and the faux garlics like the wee boy aren't up to the task. You've seen what he's written and it's all made up by the language fascists. The cost of educating small numbers in small classes like in Thurso is horrendous. There will be a backlash in Thurso like there has been in Edinburgh and Glasgow. Ordinary teachers detest the garlic classes and the garlic schools for their profligate waste of money and resources.

Alice in Blunderland
23-Nov-13, 12:54
Glory be - I disappear for a wee while, come back, and you're STILL discussing the same old, same old, with the same old, same old, reasons - the world has moved on in terms of Gaelic and it's spend and so many are STILL ignorant of it all quoting the same old bollocks, especially you Crayola - you've been on here for YEARS the same as me and you haven't said a damn thing different. How many newbes on here listening to you that need to know you've been spouting off about this the exact same way for years. Boring isn't the word. Nor have you gone and found out about how it's funded, why it's funded - but you still spout off as if you know all about it. Get a life and a grip. Gaelic speaking people including me and LOADS of others in the county pay their tax and they DON'T get anything like the return on their language from THEIR tax. Bilingual road signs - two in Caithness - TWO - and this since the Highland Councillors kicked off in our county SEVEN years ago - yes SEVEN years ago Cllr Flear, Cllr Rosie et al. What an effort. They said then that we were never a Gaelic speaking area - that myth got the crap kicked out of it. Then they said they don't want it forced down their throats - that also got the crap kicked out of it - who has forced it down your throat Crayola, where you've had something printed in the public domain that was Gaelic only? Where have you been forced to learn it? Where have you been forced to read it where an English equivalent wasn't available. You should be TIRED of your argument by now - you've whittled on about it for that flippin' long! Give it a rest - or come up with something new.Wow WBG did you breath whist writing that post......chill be happy if it's same old same old then just ignore :D