PDA

View Full Version : New Political Parties

RagnarRocks
15-Nov-13, 09:44
Am I the only one who is sick and tired of all these so called politicians running the country, who seem more intent on petty point scoring or building their own little empires. The year is 2013 we have so much technology available to us now I see no reason why someone hasn't given us a democratic system where your local politicians are elected and then accountable to their local electorate. If we can have forums like this, whether you like it or not the debates are sometimes ribald and irreverent sometimes a bit personal but the main part is the community has a voice. Now transfer that to a party where you can debate and vote on issues and your elected representative then has to tow the line of the constituents. I'm sure in this day of web forums and chip and pins for everything some clever little techie could design a system to bring politics up to date instead of the squalid name calling pigs in the trough club we now have .In one swoop you deselect all the current culprits and new accountable people move in who can be elected and deselected as the people wish instead of all this party politics we have the country being run for the people by the people .And yes the last bit is from the Gettysburg Address

Mrs Bradey
15-Nov-13, 11:17
no you are not the only one (well not now anyway). what a superb idea! elections at the push of a button at the end of perhaps a fortnight of open debate.! The whole country vote instantly on pressing matters with complete anonymity and no peer pressure! pure democracy and a lot cheaper than the political pig swill we are paying for now!

radiohead
15-Nov-13, 11:34
You have my vote...

squidge
15-Nov-13, 12:49
They do something similar in Switzerland I think. Its an interesting option and certainly doable in a smaller country like Scotland. I think the electoral reform society were running workshops and events looking at different systems that people were interested in considering for an Independent Scotland and this type of system was up for discussion.

Bobinovich
15-Nov-13, 17:44
I've long wondered the same - but why not go a step further & remove local representation completely, allowing anyone interested in a particular topic to investigate, discuss then vote whichever way they see fit, that would surely give a true representation of what's important to the people of this country.

RagnarRocks
15-Nov-13, 19:05
[QUOTE=Bobinovich;1056616]I've long wondered the same - but why not go a step further & remove local representation completely, allowing anyone interested in a particular topic to investigate, discuss then vote whichever way they see fit, that would surely give a true representation of what's important to the people of this country.[/QUOTE
I personally have no problem with that but it would require public access to information on relevant subjects, whilst on the whole I can see no problem with it, there would be incidences such as law and order and national security where that might not be so possible, also there would have to be some way of redressing the power that single issue pressure groups bring to bear on the site . Also until the system has been fully over hauled there would still be a need for local representation but in this particular case they would be no more than a mouth piece for already debated and voted for democratic results.
A big question is do we have an IT savvy person in Caithness who could develop a website for such a new idea. I'd be all for developing this idea as it seems that people like the concept.

orkneycadian
16-Nov-13, 15:09
If the population can vote for the winner of a talentless competition on the TV on the Saturday night, without lifting their backsides off the sofa, and within half an hour, then the technology exists not just to vote in our representatives the same way (and vote them out as quickly if they don't do the job), but also to have continuous referenda on the day to day topics of government.

We vote them in at the beginning of term, then hear nothing from them for the next 4 years or so. Its therefore extremely undemocratic that we leave it to them to decide, during their term, how to vote on some matter that never even existed 4 years ago.

It would be no bother to flash up on the TV, Internet, Facebook, Twitter or whatever else, what the business of parliament is to be tomorrow. "Text 'Yes' to 12345 if you agree to invading whatever country we have our eye on at the moment, or text 'No' to the same number if you think we should mind our own business"

By half past 10, the government will have the views of the population, and can take the right decision in the morning. Simples.

RagnarRocks
28-Nov-13, 21:12
Seems Mr Bercow has been reading the forum he floated this idea today