PDA

View Full Version : Death of a pet

Liz
12-Feb-07, 15:22
I had to have one of my darling cats, Rusty, put to sleep at 12.30am this morning after bravely enduring a respiratory problem.

He was a magnificient, handsome, funny, brave and loving cat and I am going to miss him desperately.

The grief is raw just now and I can't stop crying but I know in time I will remember him and smile.

I know that many of you will understand that he was not 'just a cat' but a much loved family member.

You are free now my darling Rusty. Will meet you some day at Rainbow Bridge.

danc1ngwitch
12-Feb-07, 16:18
i am sorry for your pain, it is as raw and as intense as a human family member...xxx

carasmam
12-Feb-07, 17:36
Oh Liz I am thinking of you too. It is a hard decision you had to take, but take comfort that Rusty is no longer suffering (((((hugs)))))

North Rhins
12-Feb-07, 19:02
It has taken my wife and I two years to get over the loss of our Border Terrier dog ‘Bran.’ We know exactly the pain that you are feeling and our thoughts go out to you.

teenybash
12-Feb-07, 19:32
Rusty will have known it was time for him to go and you as his beloved friend, set him free with love and kindness. His love will stay with you for ever.

The pain of parting passes the memories for ever stay :o

sweep
12-Feb-07, 21:12
so sorry you lost Rusty today. i know how you must be feeling. remember it was best for him and i'm sure he had a happy life and a loving home

stratman
12-Feb-07, 23:19
I feel for you liz. Death of a pet is as painful as any human death.

emb123
12-Feb-07, 23:51
Liz, kind wishes, it was an act of love to free him from the pain and I sympathize deeply for your loss. You and Rusty are in my prayers....

Liz
13-Feb-07, 00:14
Thanks everyone for your lovely messages( appreciated the pm's Neepnipper and danc1ngwitch). They have been a great comfort on a very difficult day.

I really think that more people such as employers should treat the loss of a pet more compassionately. You would not be expected to go to work if you lost a human loved one but are if you lose an animal loved one.
As many of you have rightly said the loss is just as painful. In fact more so in some cases as our animals have never caused us any hurt.
Except that is when we lose them.

Thanks again. It's nice to know that there are so many lovely people on the org!

Jonna
13-Feb-07, 18:41
I shed a tear as I read this. I'm so very sorry.

Liz
16-Feb-07, 19:31
I got a memorial for Rusty's grave and it will have the following poem inscribed on it:-

And now we lay you down to sleep. You're finally at rest
Our love for you we'll always keep. You were the very best
You gave us many precious years. A memory for each new day.
Then came the day of all our fears. The day you passed away.
A part of us you took with you. Our hearts are filled with pain.
But when this life on earth is through. I know we'll meet again.

I just wanted to share this with others who have loved and lost a pet.
Only you know the pain.

cuddlepop
16-Feb-07, 19:45
Liz what a lovely poem.
Its upsetting when a pet dies,give yourself lots of TLC for a change.
Its your turn.:D

fudge100
17-Feb-07, 00:44
very sorry to hear about your cat i know how you feel,but hes not in pain now and soon you will be able to smile when you rember the good times.

mccaugm
17-Feb-07, 01:35
I had to have one of my darling cats, Rusty, put to sleep at 12.30am this morning after bravely enduring a respiratory problem.

He was a magnificient, handsome, funny, brave and loving cat and I am going to miss him desperately.

The grief is raw just now and I can't stop crying but I know in time I will remember him and smile.

I know that many of you will understand that he was not 'just a cat' but a much loved family member.

You are free now my darling Rusty. Will meet you some day at Rainbow Bridge.

I know exactly what your going through, I also lost my cat "Felix" (last May), I had her 17 years and adored her. I still think of her often, she saw me through my divorce, remarriage and the birth of all my children, she was my baby and my confidant. So I do feel for you. XX

mrs n
17-Feb-07, 19:47
sorry to hear about rusty, liz i lost my cat sooty one year ago and he was such a friend to me when i was widowed

love and hugs to you xx

Lolabelle
19-Feb-07, 14:08
Ah Liz, I do know how you feel, I had a horse for 17 years and when he went I grieved for years, and still no other comes close to him. I also have one to dread in the future. I have a little dog (lives with mum and dad now) Zac who is nearly 14yrs old, he has arthritis and is very wobbly and going blind and deaf. I don't know how I will cope when he goes, other than to know that he will not be in any pain or discomfort. We have agreed not to allow him to suffer or have no quality of life.
Take it easy
Lola

Mother Bear
21-Feb-07, 13:06
So sorry to hear of your loss Liz. It is so very sad when our animal friends leave us, and however may years pass, it still brings a tear to your eye and lump to your throat when you think of them and all the things they did. The poem was lovely. My thoughts are with you.....and Rusty x

Liz
22-Feb-07, 14:23
I have been really moved by the lovely messages. Thanks!

I empathise with all of you who have lost much loved pets.
The only bad thing about having a pet is that we lose them far too soon.

Still I think the joy they give us more than makes up for it.

My other three cats and dog have been a great comfort and have been getting even more hugs than usual!!!:)
Rusty was such a huge presence in the house and it will take a long time to get used to him not being here.

Thanks again everyone.
xxx