PDA

View Full Version : a little help from fellow orgers please..

Sgitheanach
08-Nov-13, 00:45
Good evening all, I would like to have a pick at your brains if I may, my wife has had an item of furniture for sale this past week, she got speaking to an individual ( not stating any names) about said furniture, said person decided they were taking it and arrived earlier on this evening to collect it with a mate and a van, the price had already been negotiated before hand.. the cash was handed to my wife and after a discussion about the working of the furniture the men started to load it into the van (3 pieces all together) after the first 2 pieces were in the van, the men remained in the van for a couple of minutes, after such the main guy shouted from outside that he didn't want the furniture anymore, and that the mate with the van had a similar item more suited to his needs than our one, so after my wife querying his reasons she agreed to take the furniture back in and hand the money back after which the men left, problem now is that I was moving the furniture back to its original position and found that it has been broken, I thoroughly looked over the furniture myself before it was placed for sale and found no such breaks! What does everyone think myself and my wife should do now? Thanks

slinky
08-Nov-13, 01:09
name and shame

appilihp
08-Nov-13, 04:49
claim on house insurance say you were moving it's position don't mention selling it. and defiantly name and shame otherwise someone else could have same thing happen to them.

Alice in Blunderland
08-Nov-13, 07:57
I would chalk it up to experience. There is absoloubtley no need to name and shame on this forum for any other reason than to satisy the curiosity of a few. Those of us reading this who may possibly sell somethingin the future will remember your experience and be aware this can happen. it's terrible that this has happened to you however there are people out there quite willing to pull a fast one on others. I would try to repair if possble then advertise the items for sale stating the damage if it couldnt be repaired.Lifes a learning curve and I think the lesson from this is be aware others are not as honest as you would think.

ducati
08-Nov-13, 08:02
Have you reported to the forum mods? They host the people that do this so should have some interest.

RagnarRocks
08-Nov-13, 08:36
My on view if the furniture was not broken prior to it being loaded and had been paid for I wouldn't of given money back, incredibly rude breaking something then handing it back. But shabby behaviour non the less.Mind I've had it on forum agreeing to buy something seller agreeing to price, then they ringback today they wanted more trying to get a Dutch auction going.

Mrs Bradey
08-Nov-13, 09:52
claim on house insurance say you were moving it's position don't mention selling it. and defiantly name and shame otherwise someone else could have same thing happen to them. be careful if you make an insurance claim and also name and shame. as those you name and shame would know the claim was dishonest and you will be the one who could end up in trouble and even prosecuted for insurance fraud! I would do one or the other. but favour name and shame.

mi16
08-Nov-13, 15:49
Insurance claim would be fraud, as technically you have bought the furniture like that (you sold then rebought it).
There is little you can do, personally if he told me he no longer wanted it then I would have suggested that he should advertise it for sale, bid him good day then close the door.
Looks like this is one to put to experience.

Mik.M.
08-Nov-13, 15:54
They probably broke it so are having you over. Name and shame them.

Kodiak
08-Nov-13, 16:37
Simply put you made a mistake accepting the goods back. Cash had changed hands and the deal was done so you should not have accepted the goods back. Then when you did accept the goods back you did not examine them, another mistake. Therefore what this person did was perhaps not Moral but it was perfectly legal.

So you made a mistake, not just once but twice and I am sure you will not do so again.

scorrie
08-Nov-13, 16:59
You should have stood your ground and refused to refund the money. The buyer had the obligation to check for damage before parting with their cash. Once they paid, you had the balance of the law on your side. Now that you have refunded the money and taken the furniture back you have more or less admitted liability. There is now a grey area of one word against another and no evidence of any transaction in the first place. The potential buyer could just as easily claim that you tried to sell them dodgy goods and if it were they who had posted on this forum, the usual suspects would be crying for THEM to name and shame YOU.

That is the nature of public forums, with the automatic assumption of absolute innocence on the part of the poster and the absolute guilt of the other party involved. I would take no note of those poking their noses in asking for names, for that is a dangerous game to play in the litigious world we live in. As for the suggestion of a dodgy insurance claim, well words fail me. Such illegal practices help keep up insurance costs for the honest policy holders and I'm a little surprised the moderators here allow posters to encourage illegal practices.

jacko
08-Nov-13, 17:42
You should have stood your ground and refused to refund the money. The buyer had the obligation to check for damage before parting with their cash. Once they paid, you had the balance of the law on your side. Now that you have refunded the money and taken the furniture back you have more or less admitted liability. There is now a grey area of one word against another and no evidence of any transaction in the first place. The potential buyer could just as easily claim that you tried to sell them dodgy goods and if it were they who had posted on this forum, the usual suspects would be crying for THEM to name and shame YOU.

That is the nature of public forums, with the automatic assumption of absolute innocence on the part of the poster and the absolute guilt of the other party involved. I would take no note of those poking their noses in asking for names, for that is a dangerous game to play in the litigious world we live in. As for the suggestion of a dodgy insurance claim, well words fail me. Such illegal practices help keep up insurance costs for the honest policy holders and I'm a little surprised the moderators here allow posters to encourage illegal practices.

dont really see a problem there , if the item was busted while still on the sellers property.???

rich62_uk
08-Nov-13, 17:48
Morally I feel it was wrong to behave the way they did you will have to chalk it up to experience. Naming and shaming while making you feel good now I think will only cause more problems than its worth for you. Sorry this happened to you. Do not claim on the insurance you will breaking the law and could get in trouble for it making a bad situation worse.