PDA

View Full Version : landward caithness by election

Mrs Bradey
07-Nov-13, 20:10
there are five candidates to contest the by election on the 28th Nov .these are; Ed Boyter - SNP, Kerensa Carr - Scottish conservative & unionist, Matthew Reiss - Independent, Tina Irving - Independent, and Winifred Sutherland- Independent.as I am new to the area I was wandering what others were thinking? in particular to the independent candidatesas it is obvious how the politically connected candidates will be thinking . anyone want to spill the beans, or indeed let a skeleton out? Mrs B.

rich62_uk
07-Nov-13, 20:32
Had a knock at the door and it was a lovely nice gentleman no other word would describe him he really was a gent. Polite softly spoken, he was on his own not relying on a large crowd of people to knock on our door for him. I was impressed. And no I had never met him before.

Mrs Bradey
07-Nov-13, 20:40
I presume that would be Matthew Reiss if he was an independent?

rich62_uk
07-Nov-13, 21:06
Would help to use his name lol Mathew Reiss ! Yes lol.

Mrs Bradey
07-Nov-13, 22:06
I read he was a chief inspector in the northern constabulary.does anyone know anything about the other two independent candidates Tina Irving and Winifred Sutherland ?

Rheghead
07-Nov-13, 22:39
Tina Irving for my vote. She understands best the main issues that will have the most impact on Caithness in the coming years, tourism and renewable energy.

Stack Rock
07-Nov-13, 22:46
Please refer to the home page for candidate details. Personally I don't agree with the political parties influencing local policiy making.

Mrs Bradey
08-Nov-13, 11:12
Please refer to the home page for candidate details. Personally I don't agree with the political parties influencing local policiy making. I'm not interested in what would be written on a home page as this is more likely a profile written by the candidate themselves. I am more interested in personalexperience that orgers may have had with the candidates.

Kasper King
08-Nov-13, 15:08
Stack Rock what home page?
I must agree with Mrs Bradey, it is one thing to write about yourself but another about how you behave and vote on issues.

golach
08-Nov-13, 15:37
The Candidates details can be found on the Org home page

Mrs Bradey
09-Nov-13, 10:35
anyone else?

iain
09-Nov-13, 10:44
Will be voting for Winifred Sutherland. Knows first hand the good and bad in Caithness, has a vast business experience and is a genuine,down to earth person. Good person to fight your corner.

Mrs Bradey
12-Nov-13, 19:50
met winifred sutherland earlier. she seemed quite pleasant. does anyone know any more, ( other than what they are telling us about themselves ) about the independent candidates?!

JDY
16-Nov-13, 14:42
Only candidate so far who has bothered to deliver a leaflet about himself is Matthew Reiss. Perhaps the others are so well known and locally famous that they don't need to.

macadamia
16-Nov-13, 16:41
Matthew Reiss for me. A steady eye, a firm handshake, and no patronising drivel. His background only adds to the first impression. This is a man who will not just get things done. He will get the RIGHT things done WELL.

KarenK
16-Nov-13, 17:14
a firm handshake As an ex-Bobby it's more likely to be a 'funny' handshake.

RagnarRocks
16-Nov-13, 17:51
Judging by the conduct of the police in the media of late an ex bobby is probably the last thing I'd want to see. Mind it will only be the usual I know better how to run your life than you do sorts.

Barry Goldwater:-
Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed.

jaykay
17-Nov-13, 14:57
I don't normally vote for independant candidates but i will make an exeprtion in this case and vote for Mathew Reiss. I beleive he will make a first class councillor.

Kevin Milkins
17-Nov-13, 15:18
I have never voted in my life, but I may make an exception this year, the only one I know is Winifred Sutherland and she seems like a good egg.

Mrs Bradey
20-Nov-13, 10:49
only 8 days to go. still not really decided who to vote for. but don't think it will be Tina Irving, the picture of her on her blog page looks to be about 30 years old showing her as a much younger women! the Tina Irving I just met must be in her mid fifties. as the election is not a beauty padgent , why the need to deceive us with an out of date picture

Big Gaz
20-Nov-13, 11:08
Why bother? you know nothing will change and the "newly elected" will still be a familiar face with the same old policies that never materialise.

spurtle
20-Nov-13, 14:11
Its people like you , with that attitude , that stops anything from happening , at least try. Really ,people don't want to be bothered trying so give the excuse that there's no point.

Mrs Bradey
20-Nov-13, 14:40
Its people like you , with that attitude , that stops anything from happening , at least try. Really ,people don't want to be bothered trying so give the excuse that there's no point. here here Spurtle. too many people don't vote! and usually they have an opinion. with this thread I was trying to find out about candidates prior to one of them being elected by which time it is too late! skeletons need releasing before elections or we find ourselves with another election sooner than we think. Again. VOTING IS IMPORTANT don't waste your vote by not turning out.

Big Gaz
20-Nov-13, 15:35
Its people like you , with that attitude , that stops anything from happening , at least try. Really ,people don't want to be bothered trying so give the excuse that there's no point.

Aye well i DO actually get off my arse and vote unlike many. I just don't think it's worth the hassle because all the blinkered sheep blindly vote for the same old crap party year in-year out and look where that's got the country. It's nearly doomsday, you still have time to vote yes y'know! or are you going to be a sheep and blindly vote NO and let the con-dems back in to completely ruin the country?

donnick
20-Nov-13, 15:42
maybe you should go pay a visit to them all, make your own judgement as I am sure you will find a lot from their personality and who you think would work for you "the public" or for themselves and there own personal issues .

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
20-Nov-13, 23:53
Well said Donnick!

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
28-Nov-13, 18:48
So......... Who got out and voted??? When do we see the results??? In the morning newspaper? On here?

Big Gaz
28-Nov-13, 18:55
stations don't close until 10pm tonight so probably tomorrow morning before any idea of who won

Mrs Bradey
28-Nov-13, 18:58
So......... Who got out and voted??? When do we see the results??? In the morning newspaper? On here? well I voted ! I decided not to vote for Tina Irving after hearing she appears ti be in conflict with many! it seems to me she may be hiding a cupboard full of skellingtons! earlier warning of this would have been good.

madmissus
29-Nov-13, 00:06
Well, ah cast ma vote, and here's hoping the best person for the job wins!! Ps I am just waiting to see what Ms Irving says re article in paper yesterday!!! (ye's can all safely deduce she didn't get ma vote)!!! Common sense will prevail. Just wondering when the result will be announced? Champing at the bit here!!!

Big Gaz
29-Nov-13, 00:15
they start the count tomorrow at 10am. Probably find out around noon or so

ducati
29-Nov-13, 10:10
Well I didn't vote. I couldn't find my candidate on the org! :eek:[lol]

Stack Rock
29-Nov-13, 14:43
Here's the link for the result - Matthew Reiss was elected

http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcouncil/news/newsreleases/2013/November/2013-11-29-02.htm

Mrs Bradey
29-Nov-13, 15:22
congratulations to Matthew Reiss. glad ms Irving didn't get elected. was very disappointed that 70% of eligible voters did not bother to vote.....but not surprised!

donnick
29-Nov-13, 15:43
where are the results ? found them ..

Mr P Cannop
29-Nov-13, 16:53
well done Matthew Reiss

aidipi
29-Nov-13, 17:04
Well done to Matthew Reiss for winning the Landward By Election. I look forward to your contribution to the community.

linnie612
29-Nov-13, 18:00
Results
Ed Boyter Scottish National Party (SNP), 546 - Eliminated at stage 3
Kerensa Carr, Scottish Conservative and Unionist 171 - Eliminated at Stage 2
Tina Irving Independent 128 - Eliminated at stage 1
Matthew Reiss Independent 1,150
Winifred Sutherland Independent 593 - Eliminated at stage 4

Electorate 8745
Total Number of Votes Cast 2616
Percentage Poll 29.91
Total Rejected Ballot Papers 28
Total Valid Votes 2588
Quota (number of votes required to be elected) 1295

macadamia
30-Nov-13, 01:11
I am delighted we are to be represented by a person who, on very short acquaintance, I felt was a listener and a doer. And probably one to watch for higher office. He has certainly served a long apprenticeship, and I look forward to the positive differences I know he will make. Well done, Matthew Reiss.

cocopops
08-Dec-13, 02:08
I met Tina Irving last wk. I don't wish to come across her again. I think I speak for the others I was with also.

mi16
08-Dec-13, 10:12
It was all done in the best possible taste!

Mrs Bradey
14-Dec-13, 11:08
well well well it appears wannabe highland council ms I only got 128 votes is now involved in a horse stealing scandal in dunnet ! is dunnet the new Reay?

gingernut
15-Dec-13, 22:26
well well well it appears wannabe highland council ms I only got 128 votes is now involved in a horse stealing scandal in dunnet ! is dunnet the new Reay?

Well well. Are you able to elaborate?

cocopops
15-Dec-13, 23:19
It's been all over Facebook- she has a couple of horses, which don't appear to belong to her- however she got them microchipped, the real owner ( I assume by all the posts) took the horse back, Tina blocked the road for 2 hrs and wouldn't move even although there were primary school kids getting off the bus a mile or so away and their mothers couldn't get passed to collect their kids causing a lot of bad feeling amongst Tina's neighbours!All from post on fb- nothing I know of personally. It's like Corrie!!

Mrs Bradey
16-Dec-13, 10:04
she did say on fb that she put the whole story ( which apparently is worth thousands to the press) on her "lets go north" web site. but it all seems to have been removed! hmmm!