PDA

View Full Version : Robertson, Robeson's of Canisbay, Stroma

jackie
18-Mar-05, 14:30
Just wondering if anyone has any information on the Robertson's/Robeson's of that area. Trying to find info on Margaret Robe(rt)son who was married to a Hugh Simpson of Stroma.

Thanks Jackie

mazza
21-Jan-06, 17:26
I have found an Elizabeth Robertson sometimes given as Robeson in my tree. Born about 1780/90 Canisbay. She married Donald Wares/Warse. Using the Scottish naming pattern, her parents would be Campbell and Ann. Elizabeth named one of daughters Margaret

Regards

Marilyn

jackie
23-Jan-06, 15:27
Marilyn:
Thanks for the info I will check into that.
Jackie

Tricia
24-Jan-06, 17:44
JHi Both
I have Robertsons of Keiss, Canisbay and Wick back 1700s. I als have some Wares.
I also have a Helen Robson/Robertson b1778 App who was Robson on Marriage but Roberston on most records after that.
Some I have not sorted birth records for so could well have stroma connections.

Here is a family in Canisbay 1841 census - all born caithness (remember ages can be rounded up or down in 1841. Is this
WARES Donald 45 Coast guard Milltend Teswick
WARES Elizabeth 45 Milltend Teswick
WARES james 20 Fisherman Milltend Teswick
WARES Donald 15 Milltend Teswick
WARES jane 13 Milltend Teswick
WARES William 11 Milltend Teswick
WARES Margaret 8 Milltend Teswick
WARES Charlotte 4 Milltend Teswick

Tricia

mazza
24-Jan-06, 19:52
Thanks Tricia, these are my ancestors. Elizabeth's maiden name was Robertson/Robson. It was their daughter Anne who married into the Creach family. You think you have found an uncommon name and then....................there are dozens of them, many with the same christian name too

jackie
27-Jan-06, 20:16
Hugh Simpson + Margaret Robe(rt)son were married Feb 4, 1825 in Canisbay so I don't think that these are my Robertson/Robeson's I am looking for.
Thanks Jackie

Mamie_2
09-Feb-06, 02:18
Hej Jackie
I have her parents as James Robeson and Anne Banks
born Feb 26, 1806 and christened Mar 4 1806 in c110355 in IGI.

Makes sense to me as second son James and only known daughter was Anne.

Maryann